• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Bloodborne
  3. Just who IS Laurence? [HEAVY SPOILERS]

User Info: Liduso

Liduso
4 years ago#1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HDtC5IeKZY
Just so you know I might go a bit overboard with the spoiler tag. I apologize.
Also I have like 0 answers. I'm asking a question because I'm not smart enough to solve even simple puzzles. I'm not sure what the community agreed outline on the lore is right now, so I apologize if I got some things wrong.

So as many of you who have decided to delve into the Lore, you may have come across the findings of Laurence. Laurence, as far as I could previously tell, is some dude who May have beckoned the moon spirit along with his associates the palebloods You also find various notes related to him all about the church scenery, etc. He's big on the healing church.

I searched other topics but they're pretty minimal, and I had this weird interaction with, I'm not sure, but basically like the voice of Gehrman? Something about it brings other questions to mind. It could have just been a bug, but it was pretty odd,

He mentions both Laurence and Willem, who both have some relations to the moon.

I find this strange because at the end of the game Gehrman brings it on himself to try to free you from his own nightmare, though a chance at freedom presents itself. Logically, that means he doesn't think we can "unshackle" him.

That begs the question, if he has no faith in us, what exactly happened with Gehrman, Laurence, and Willem that led to Gehrman's faith in them?

Willem was once a great man, but I'll never really bear witness to that aside from minor flashbacks and cutscenes. By the time the players get to him, he's isolated himself to his own inner mechanisms, looking only within to "see beyond" or something. The great one's wisdom states he had an epiphany and decided to do something with eyes. And he's also full of eyes on the inside. Nasty

Plural amounts of eyes though.

You know, like a spider.

When you first approach Willem, he's pretty much braindead and does nothing but babble incoherently and awkwardly twitch about before pointing forward.

When you first approach Rom, he does like the same thing. He isn't even hostile at first.

Considering his ties with Rom, and how the healing church itself holds Willem in such high regard, it would be apparent that Willem clearly held a great deal of power beyond just influence at some point, as evident by item descriptions to somehow connect himself with Rom, who is a Great One.

With such a standard apparent, where is Laurence? There is so much evidence pointing to the power Willem held, from the praises of others to the notes strewn about. But why is evidence on Laurence so scarce?

We've got a group composed of The First Hunter, a major contender in the creation of the byrgenworth college and it's derivatives, and... Laurence.

Anyone got any idea who the heck Laurence is to hang out with these big shots? I can't help but feel like I'm missing something.

User Info: MyGravenImage

MyGravenImage
4 years ago#2
Im not very good at these things, but I've always just thought he was the NPC enemy in the Building that Willem is at.

I'm probably not even close...

I mean, aren't the only people that use those crazy starburst spells High Members of the church?
S<-||^||->A
"If the band that you like changes at the same time that your personal musical taste changes, It's The Perfect Thing."

User Info: AlekTrev006

AlekTrev006
4 years ago#3
Laurence is the scholar of Byrgenwerth who "betrayed" the rest of the school, including Provost Willem (the head of the researchers/scholars), as seen in the cutscene when you touch the beast skull in the grand cathedral, after defeating Vicar Amelia.

The implication (from Willem and Laurence's dialogue) is that they have a disagreement about how to proceed (in their research of the Great Ones, and the "eldritch truth" that they feel they possess). Now, consider what Alfred says when you ask him about the Vilebloods (when you meet him on the stairs leading down to the "Password Door" leading to the Forbidden Woods). He mentions that a "traitor" took corrupted blood from Byrgenwerth to Cainhurst Castle, and there it was consumed / spread - and helped to form the Vileblood Covenant / Group.

Some people theorize that the skull in the cathedral is Laurence's ! - and that he changed into a beast, like so many others, died - and his head was placed there for some reason...

* wonder if DLC will have us fighting Laurence, in a "back in time" type segment, like the whole Artorias thing...?

Liduso
4 years ago#4
AlekTrev006 posted...
Laurence is the scholar of Byrgenwerth who "betrayed" the rest of the school, including Provost Willem (the head of the researchers/scholars), as seen in the cutscene when you touch the beast skull in the grand cathedral, after defeating Vicar Amelia.

The implication (from Willem and Laurence's dialogue) is that they have a disagreement about how to proceed (in their research of the Great Ones, and the "eldritch truth" that they feel they possess). Now, consider what Alfred says when you ask him about the Vilebloods (when you meet him on the stairs leading down to the "Password Door" leading to the Forbidden Woods). He mentions that a "traitor" took corrupted blood from Byrgenwerth to Cainhurst Castle, and there it was consumed / spread - and helped to form the Vileblood Covenant / Group.

Some people theorize that the skull in the cathedral is Laurence's ! - and that he changed into a beast, like so many others, died - and his head was placed there for some reason...

* wonder if DLC will have us fighting Laurence, in a "back in time" type segment, like the whole Artorias thing...?

The head thing sounds plausible, as the church seems to be all about really... weird. Things.

But then how does that turn back to him being associated with the Palebloods? And his summoning of the moon presence with said group? And who exactly are the palebloods?

User Info: Ruzinus

Ruzinus
4 years ago#5
Y'know, I started thinking that Palebloods are a group after learning about Vilebloods from Alfred. You seem to have come to the same conclusion.

But does the game ever actually refer to "Palebloods," or just "Paleblood?" The hunter comes to Yharnam seeking Paleblood, I think. That is what the dialogue at the start suggests.

Opening dialogue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbH9jh5zU08

Which would mean that Paleblood is a thing, not a group. Likely it's a type of blood, maybe the blood of the great ones.
PSN: Ruzinus -- Feel free to add me.
"I can forgive you as a human, but not as an otter."

User Info: Frostheat_22

Frostheat_22
4 years ago#6
https://youtu.be/ucVKSpiWkp4

I know it's a little bit long, but it's worth a watch. Best lore/speculation for Bloodborne atm.
Hyped for: Bloodborne, Fire Emblem:IF, XC:X, and Zelda U.
"You would probably do better in pvp if you didn't take advice from your mom." - WATAUGACJ

Liduso
4 years ago#7
Ruzinus posted...
Y'know, I started thinking that Palebloods are a group after learning about Vilebloods from Alfred. You seem to have come to the same conclusion.

But does the game ever actually refer to "Palebloods," or just "Paleblood?" The hunter comes to Yharnam seeking Paleblood, I think. That is what the dialogue at the start suggests.

Which would mean that Paleblood is a thing, not a group. Likely it's a type of blood, maybe the blood of the great ones.

If palebloods aren't a group or Laurence's associates, who could they be?

I tried imaging the inhabitants of Cainhurst. Maybe the vilebloods beckoned the moon presence, and then in retaliation Willem and his followers beckoned Rom to keep the moon at bay?

User Info: RVMcypress

RVMcypress
4 years ago#8
Liduso posted...
Ruzinus posted...

If palebloods aren't a group or Laurence's associates, who could they be?

I tried imaging the inhabitants of Cainhurst. Maybe the vilebloods beckoned the moon presence, and then in retaliation Willem and his followers beckoned Rom to keep the moon at bay?

The note in Lecture hall 2f says:
"The nameless moon presence beckoned by Laurence and his associates. Paleblood."

could they be calling the moon presence that? And if so what is our relationship to it since people comment that we smell of the moon (something along those lines)

User Info: diablogamer

diablogamer
4 years ago#9
Spoilers !!!

Paleblood is the sky you get after killing rom.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very
persistent one" Albert Einstein

User Info: AlekTrev006

AlekTrev006
4 years ago#10
Apparently Our (the hunter we are playing) has a relationship of some sort to the Moon, etc - (the blood having a unique smell, etc) - in that we are capable of becoming an Heir - to the Hunter's Dream (I don't want to say more than that, for those who haven't started the final boss battles yet !) - but yeah - we are "different from your ordinary bear", so to speak :-)
  1. Boards
  2. Bloodborne
  3. Just who IS Laurence? [HEAVY SPOILERS]
  • Topic Archived