• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Harvest Moon 3D: The Lost Valley
  3. please help me understand this
harvestNoob 7 years ago#1
I'm a little confused and want to know if i'm understanding this right. the following is what i *think* is going on but would like confirmation or correction:

so, XSEED is releasing Story of Seasons (which is a game already released in Japan under the Farm Story title which is what we know as harvest moon) in America some time soon while Natsume is about to release Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley (which is not a game in Japan under the Farm Story title, but rather Natsume's own game). the reason why they can do this is, i think, because they own the "harvest moon" name in America since they've published all the past Farm Story games in america and they technically own the "harvest moon" name? so XSEED is not allowed to call their game harvest moon?

am i getting that right? is there more to the story?
Friend Code: 0731-5903-6749
Albinosquid 7 years ago#2
I'm not really one to know this 100% but trademarks aren't the easiest thing to just let go of.

The Harvest Moon name belongs to Natsume, it has for years. For reasons unknown to fans, Marvelous has decided to hand over the newest Farm Story game to Xseed, which is a branch off of Marvelous now.

So to prevent possible problems, they decided to give it a different name as Harvest Moon is not a Trademark Xseed has access to or has the right to use.

Thats pretty much the simplest way to put it.
"Oh! You came back! You walked straight past me, I thought maybe I'd faded away along with this town."
HerPanda 7 years ago#3
Yes, basically. Natsume owns the name "Harvest Moon" as far as video game publishing goes. It's a lame move imo (inadvertently deceiving people into thinking that Lost Valley is a "real" Harvest Moon title, belonging to the same series as the games they know as "Harvest Moon"), but on the flip side, the Harvest Moon series was probably their money maker, and taking that away from them leaves them desparate.

The saddest part is that Story of Seasons will probably bomb now without name recognition, despite being the games that people should be excited for when they see "Harvest Moon." I've also been curious to see what name "Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley" will have in Japan... it'd be hilarious if they went with the Japanese equivalent of "Story of Seasons"
Albinosquid 7 years ago#4
HerPanda posted...
Yes, basically. Natsume owns the name "Harvest Moon" as far as video game publishing goes. It's a lame move imo (inadvertently deceiving people into thinking that Lost Valley is a "real" Harvest Moon title, belonging to the same series as the games they know as "Harvest Moon"), but on the flip side, the Harvest Moon series was probably their money maker, and taking that away from them leaves them desparate.

The saddest part is that Story of Seasons will probably bomb now without name recognition, despite being the games that people should be excited for when they see "Harvest Moon." I've also been curious to see what name "Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley" will have in Japan... it'd be hilarious if they went with the Japanese equivalent of "Story of Seasons"

What are you, some kind of all seeing wizard? Who says Story of Seasons will bomb? Xseed has enough recognition among the gaming community and most people have already realized its the "real" Harvest Moon and will be purchasing it.

Also, i'm getting real tired of people hating on Natsume for using their trademark for the new game. Its their trademark, they can do whatever they want with it. Remember Puzzle De Harvest Moon? Wasn't a "true" HM game aside from some recognizable characters.

If Natsume wants to innovate again and slap the Harvest Moon title on it, let them. Negative nancys like you feel like their doing the world a favor by negatively bashing on The Lost Valley because its not a "real" HM game and informing people of Natsume's "wrong" is really petty.

Calling them desperate and lame is really uncalled for. How hard is it to say "Its called Harvest Moon but will be made by different developers and teams. The Harvest Moon you know of is being published by Xseed as Story of Seasons".

Please be more considerate of all the hard work that Natsume has done in trying to make games that are playable for everyone and trying to continue after (i'm assuming) losing the right to publish the Farm Story series.

You don't have to spread your negativity here. You obviously want Story of Seasons, fine. Go and get hyped for that and let the people of this forum who are learning about the game or excited for the game get their answers without the negative attitude.
"Oh! You came back! You walked straight past me, I thought maybe I'd faded away along with this town."
HerPanda 7 years ago#5
Well shoot. I'm buying both, no need to be so defensive. I'm just stating a fact that Natsume's Harvest Moon is riding on Farm Story's reputation, espeically for the general public (those who don't frequent gaming sites), and Story of Seasons will, quote, probably bomb due to lack of name recognition (again, for the general public which doesn't follow gaming sites). Don't underestimate the power of a brand name and the lack of one.
Albinosquid 7 years ago#6
I do apologize for snapping at you, but you can state your facts an opinions without the overall negativity.

Regardless, I don't know how much of the general public even buys games these days. Most gamers, whether they be children or adults flock to the Internet for views, opinions, and whatever else before buying a game. Its a very small % who buy anything without researching things in this day in age.

Impluse buyers are an entire differnt can of worms though.

Most of the Harvest Moon fans have amassed over the years in large groups over the Internet and are all pretty much informed on the Harvest Moon / Story of Seasons switcheroo. The crap storm over tumblr has pretty much calmed down and Ushi No Tane is taking it pretty fine (this is where I see most of the fans).

Most of them are like you, buying both. If every fan on Ushi No Tane for example buys Story of Seasons, knowing it for its original title, there will probably be little problems in sales.

Tl;DR The Harvest Moon fans are many and are aware. Natsume's game will sell on its classic Trademark because of Top Of Mind Awareness principles, but Xseed will sell its game based on the informed fans.

Of course this is all in theory, only time will tell.
CeeCee-Natsume 7 years ago#7
Albinosquid posted...
The Harvest Moon name belongs to Natsume, it has for years. For reasons unknown to fans, Marvelous has decided to hand over the newest Farm Story game to Xseed, which is a branch off of Marvelous now.

So to prevent possible problems, they decided to give it a different name as Harvest Moon is not a Trademark Xseed has access to or has the right to use.

Thats pretty much the simplest way to put it.

Best way I've seen it explained and pretty much how I put it myself. BokuMono wasn't the only partnership we had with Marvelous and I'm sure we'll continue to work together on projects when it makes sense to do so. That's not my side of things, but it wouldn't surprise me if their own company handles most of that, since I can say from my own experience with TLV it's far easier to work with your own branch.

HerPanda posted...
the Harvest Moon series was probably their money maker, and taking that away from them leaves them desparate.

Desperate? Nah :) Natsume releases anywhere from 9-15 games in a year, one of which is Harvest Moon. It's definitely a treasure for us and we value working on the series, but so is Reel Fishing (our best selling game ever, 1.5m copies sold of Reel Fishing PS1), as is Gabrielle, and all the individual games we handle every year that aren't part of a larger series.
Natsume Inc. Community Manager
Harvest Moon, Reel Fishing, Natsume Indies titles, and more, hooray!
Stormfeather 7 years ago#8
Hey, maybe this'll even mean another Metropolismania game!

Okay, probably not. But it'd be nice. :p

(TIL: There was a Metropolismania 3, but it wasn't brought over. Boo. :( )
Please insert witty quote here. FE Fates castle: 03476-08608-42794-96946
3DS Friend Code: 0559 7534 8937 AC Dream Address: 4100 2146 2004
CeeCee-Natsume 7 years ago#9
I know I saw it on a list somewhere at some point, so we definitely looked into it. That's not my side of the business, so that's all I can tell you. It's not unusual for us to look into a game but not be able to complete the deal, for a variety of reasons. It's one of those subjects I'll probably do a long Tumblr post on some day.
Natsume Inc. Community Manager
Harvest Moon, Reel Fishing, Natsume Indies titles, and more, hooray!
  1. Boards
  2. Harvest Moon 3D: The Lost Valley
  3. please help me understand this
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A

How do i build a windmill? Plot1 Answer
How do you get sugar? Side Quest1 Answer
Where can I find Pickaxe/Hammer? Side Quest1 Answer
Where can I find crystal? Side Quest1 Answer
Where can I find sunny reds? Side Quest2 Answers