• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Did I miss the Squid Game topic? *Spoilers maybe after first post*
Pretty much. You've met me IRL, so you can pretty easily verify that's how I'd lose most fights and I've lifted a loooooot of weights since then :p

But yeah no chance I even get to that point. Even if by some miracle I got through the first game, my sugar would crack basically immediately in the second.
"Ulti, I'm convinced you aren't native to this planet." -ColZach
Embrace perfection: http://www.twitch.tv/ultimaterializerx

User Info: MajinZidane

MajinZidane
1 month ago#92
A lot of people in this topic talking about this sub-genre: any recommendations for someone who doesn't know anything about it?

Besides like... Battle Royale
Virtue - "You don't need a reason to Boko United."
Hah. The old man is player 1 and he isn't actually locked in during the tug of war, and he makes sure he "dies" before the one game that's unpredictable enough to kill him. That is so good.

User Info: Raka_Putra

Raka_Putra
1 month ago#94
MajinZidane posted...
A lot of people in this topic talking about this sub-genre: any recommendations for someone who doesn't know anything about it?

Besides like... Battle Royale
Alice in Borderland since it's already on Netflix. That one is live action. Are you open to anime recs as well?
"So much love in his words."
- RIP Stephen Sondheim, 1930-2021
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: ninkendo

ninkendo
1 month ago#95
https://kotaku.com/12-things-to-check-out-after-youve-binged-squid-game-1847875371
UltimaterializerX posted...
Hah. The old man is player 1 and he isn't actually locked in during the tug of war, and he makes sure he "dies" before the one game that's unpredictable enough to kill him. That is so good.

The RLGL doll doesn't detect him like it does the other players in the first game so would have never flagged him moving. Only staff look at the honeycomb things in game 2 so he wasn't at risk there. Like you said he wasn't strapped in during tug of war. I'd suspect the original plan was him to be the odd one out for marbles and then just not return for the next game but even in the game he found the house to be in at the end and they never showed his body or death like everyone else. The list of competitors when the cop finds the book starts at 002 too. Oh and when he's collected by car to be taken to the games, there's no knockout gas.

I think the only time he was at risk was during the riots. The only time he looked scared was when the intruder alarm went off to signify something with the games itself was wrong.

My favorite (unconfirmed) theory I've seen after the show was that when the dude approaches people at the subway and asks them to pick red or blue, the color they pick determines if they are invited as a player or as one of the admin mooks.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: MariaTaylor

MariaTaylor
1 month ago#97
I'm glad to see Gantz on that list. Though it is weird they are suggesting to watch a movie than only adapts one of the later arcs completely out of context.

While it's not technically a Battle Royale it was really easy for me to see the similarities between Squid Game and Gantz, especially in the first few episodes. I wouldn't say that if you like Squid Game you will automatically like Gantz, but if you enjoyed the tension and improvisation of the players during Red Light, Green Light, I think that Gantz has the same type of appeal. Up to and including the moment where Ali reaches out his hand and saves another player he doesn't know, putting his own life at risk. That's more like something you would see in Gantz. I specifically referred to it as "a total Kato move" in my episode write ups. Additionally, Gantz is also heavily dependent for most of the story on the downtime spent between rounds. It's more like Predator than Squid Game, but in between hunts the characters are allowed to return to their normal lives and we learn a lot about them as people and see them develop as a result, as well as learning the circumstances who made them into the people they are during the hunts. Kato also has a story about him and his orphan little brother waiting for their parents to return, which is why I think the creator of Squid Game was likely influenced by Gantz and was probably a fan of that character.

Major differences is that Gantz is a lot more focused on action and violence and it's way more unpredictable in terms of who is safe from consequences. Additionally there is no traditional game or prize to be won, but over time the characters who manage to survive also get better at the hunt. Things are more deterministic based on skill and nerve and less reliant on complete random chance. Instead of getting pummeled repeatedly until the "winner" goes into a catatonic state, imagine if the good teams from episode 4 continued to fight together and grow strong together for success in later games. If you found yourself craving that, I think Gantz has an appeal you might be into.

Okay with that out of the way the major hurdle for getting into Gantz is that it's incredibly dark and also incredibly sexual in a way that Squid Game are not. The author is kinda a huge pervert and it has that ecchi anime angle that you simply can't ignore and can't pretend that it doesn't exist. It's a shame because the series is so fantastic otherwise for most of the run, but it's difficult to recommend to casuals. It also delves much deeper into the whole 'people are s*** and treat each other awful' angle, both in an outside of the game. Imagine if something as violent as Game of Thrones was made by a guy who couldn't resist drawing a woman in a bikini at the start of each chapter.

I'd also say if you're going to bother with it, you should read the manga. While it's true that there is an anime adaptation, as well as a few movie adaptations... Okay so the anime is not terrible but it has god awful pacing. The dub is particularly funny, it's one of the ones where they say f*** a lot. However, it ends in a really dumb filler arc, and never gets to the best material from the manga. The movies are just mediocre all around and they have the same problem that they stop right before one of the best hunts in the manga. The best hunt from the manga is never adapted, and while there are some amazing, probably even top tier moments in the first few hunts, I feel like the best part of Gantz starts right after the adaptations usually end.

The movies cut out a lot of the extremely sexual material, while the anime is borderline hentai in some scenes. I think one of the advantages of reading the manga is that if you're not into the fanservice it's much easier to ignore.

Anyway, I probably wrote more about it than is warranted and I'd be doubtful if even one person reads Gantz after reading my thoughts. But oh well, there it is. Proceed at your own peril.

only less than nothing, as nothing could have equaled you
https://i.ibb.co/5skW2Jq/Mado2.png

User Info: MajinZidane

MajinZidane
1 month ago#98
Raka_Putra posted...
Alice in Borderland since it's already on Netflix. That one is live action. Are you open to anime recs as well?

@Raka_Putra

Very open to anime recs. Prefer good dubs (sorry) if possible
Virtue - "You don't need a reason to Boko United."

User Info: GANON1025

GANON1025
1 month ago#99
i thought this show was great. Odd to see so much hate for the ending I thought it was solid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWipItq_9bk

Too good.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Did I miss the Squid Game topic? *Spoilers maybe after first post*
  • Post New Message