• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Movie Club Topic 4 - We Need to Talk About the Genius Saint Who Killed The Muppe

User Info: kateee

kateee
2 months ago#1
ts in the Vast Void House of Dreams on Fire

Newcomers are welcome. New movies once a week.

Spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jQ5mrOOC83ua5DfEOd0DgZczFGm9qc8AMjQz-WSblrs

Feel free to rate or discuss any movie from the past. You may change your rating at any time. Newcomers can rate movies or request to be on the recommendations list at any time. You must maintain a 50% watch rate (subject to change) to recommend movies for your turn. If you would like to push your recommendation week back, please mention so IN ADVANCE. You will be moved to the bottom of the list if you do not meet the watch rate requirements and there is no other response from you when it is your turn. I will @ everyone on the list every week when it’s time to vote and to announce the movie.

Order:
Raka_Putra
jcgamer107
ViolentAbacus
Suprak the Stud
SwiftyDC
Camden
Seginustemple
Xeybozn
lucifiere
kateee
Johnbobb

Movies:
Mother (2009)
Sound of Metal (2019)
In Bruges (2008)
Thoroughbreds (2017)
Lost in Translation (2003)
45 Years (2015)
Fargo (1996)
Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)
When Marnie Was There (2014)
Stalker (1979)
The Love Witch (2016)
Murder by Death (1976)
Perfect Blue (1997)
Cool Hand Luke (1967)
The Lobster (2015)
Bad Genius (2017)
Enter the Void (2009)
The Muppets (2011)
Saint Maud (2019)
The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (2011)
We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011)
The Vast of Night (2019)
House (1977)
Hoop Dreams (1994)
Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019)
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie (2019)
Pi (1998)

User Info: Johnbobb

Johnbobb
2 months ago#2
The Vast House Dreams of a Power Ranger on Fire

also Pi
Khal Kirby, warlord of the Super Star Khalasar
PSN/Steam: CheddarBBQ https://goo.gl/Diw2hs

User Info: Camden

Camden
2 months ago#3
Power Rangers - 4/10

It's been so long since I've seen the Power Rangers, I forgot the movie wasn't the original US entrance for the Sentai series. Caught me off guard when the characters were just there as if I was supposed to already be familiar with them, as in my mind I guess I was expecting what, in actuality, was the first few episodes of the US tv series. Also, I don't recall seeing any Sentai scenes at all, so I imagine the movie was 100% original material, which is a shame because the cgi in the final scenes was painful and easily the worst part of the movie. That and some of the pop culture references. I can't imagine either parents or kids caring about a Brady Bunch Reunion reference at the time.

Also, I was unaware that they're still making Power Rangers. I know when I watch PlutoTV, Tubi and other random 'watch tv' apps there seems to always be a Sentai channel with endless variations of the show, but I thought the US amalgamations of them were more a 90's and early 2000's kind of thing and then it stopped. Nope.

The ending was well timed, because all of the fireworks were going off at exactly the same time as all my idiot neighbors decided to set their own off. Can't wait until midnight. Hell, if it wasn't for the ridiculous dryness that is Oregon right now they wouldn't have even waited until July 4th, as people around here usually turn fireworks into a two week event just to make my dog as miserable as possible for as long as possible.
Huh? Finger!?
What the hell?

Johnbobb
2 months ago#4
Haven't had a chance to watch any lately but I will post a rating for Portrait of a Lady on Fire awhile because I saw that one in the last year

The reductionist in me wants to say this fulfills the expected tropes of a gay period drama (and the cynic in me feels like it wasn't a coincidence that Ammonite came out within a year of it). That's of course discounting everything this film does right, which is, of course, a lot. Céline Sciamma (who also directed Tomboy, an LGBT movie I loved for largely similar reasons that this succeeds) specializes in slow, long shots that emphasize the longing desire of its characters. In Tomboy, it was the longing of the main character to be seen as a boy. In Portrait of a Lady on Fire, it's the longing to simply be seen, by each other. The whole film focuses on that idea of seeing and being seen; the basic concept is about painting a portrait, an act that specifically requires extended periods of simply staring at another and recognizing their features.

I don't know that this film is one I'd want to watch multiple times. Maybe years later to look back, but the slow pacing and buildup also make it something that's difficult to just sit down and watch for the fun of it. It didn't hit me as hard as Tomboy did, and I found myself more in a position of "I respect this" than "I enjoy it."

I want to give it an 8.5 but I'll round down to an 8/10

Johnbobb
2 months ago#5
That does make me want to raise the question:

What are your favorite "Twin Films?"

essentially, films that came out around the same time (usually within a year or two of each other) and are about very similar subject matter. Portrait of a Lady on Fire and Ammonite are one of the most significant recent pairings.

There's a big list of them on wikipedia, but of course there are more than what are listed there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_films
(edited 2 months ago)

Camden
2 months ago#6
I'll look at the list in just a second, but the only movies I can even think of off the top of my head are White House Down and Olympus Has Fallen, and I haven't seen either of them. I'm going to assume there's a lot on there I never would've thought to compare in this way, though.
Huh? Finger!?
What the hell?

User Info: Snake5555555555

Snake5555555555
2 months ago#7
Venom & Upgrade because it's hilarious

But some others I like just going down the list:
Dr. Strangelove/Fail Safe
Roar/Savage Harvest
The Howling/Wolfen
The Day After/Threads
The Return of the Living Dead/Day of the Dead
Dark City/The Matrix

Some are kinda questionable though, like they seem more rip-offs or a capitalization on the same idea? Like Quiet Place and The Silence, or Gremlins & Ghoulies.
I've decided to put my fears behind me. I'm not going back.
(almost) every horror game ever made: https://tinyurl.com/completehorrorgameslist

Camden
2 months ago#8
So these are the pairs on there where I've seen both movies listed, in order of favorites. Order is a bit loose as I like The Road more than Rambo or Commando, but I like all three of them quite a bit more than The Book of Eli so I put the pair with the weakest movie below the middling pair.

Also, unpopular opinion but I like Dark City more than the Matrix.

Dark City - The Matrix
The Return of the Living Dead - Day of the Dead
Rambo: First Blood Part II - Commando
The Road - The Book of Eli
Mission to Mars - Red Planet
Freddy vs. Jason - Alien vs. Predator
The Amityville Horror - The Shining
Street Fighter - Mortal Kombat

There's two movies on my watch list, The Raid and The Wanderers, that would give me two more pairs on this list if they get picked here or if I just decide to watch them for any other reason.

Snake5555555555 posted...
Some are kinda questionable though, like they seem more rip-offs or a capitalization on the same idea? Like Quiet Place and The Silence, or Gremlins & Ghoulies.

Yeah, even of the list of eight pairs I've seen there's a couple I wouldn't have put on this list myself.
Huh? Finger!?
What the hell?

Johnbobb
2 months ago#9
Yeah I'll agree there's some that are questionable, and others that I hadn't thought of at the time but make a lot of sense in hindsight. To an extent, I think it's because they can happen so many different ways, so some are basically ripoffs, while others are coincidences, and still others are intentional competition.

A few that aren't necessarily my favorite movies but my favorite examples:

Jobs - Steve Jobs
Once Steve Jobs died, it was basically a race to see who could put a movie out about him first. Jobs won the race but ended up with a much more poorly received movie.

The Jungle Book - Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle
Fun fact, Mowgli was actually intended to come out the same year as The Jungle Book, but ended up with several pushbacks, so by the time it actually came out, it was essentially written off, after Disney's had been such a success.

Happy Feet - Surf's Up
Probably the first one I actually remember noticing in real time. I would've been about 14 or so when Surf's Up came out, and I distinctly remember thinking "wait, another one?" before even knowing what twin films were.

No Strings Attached - Friends with Benefits
This has to be the most well-known examples, to the point where it kind of became a meme, because these were literally the exact same movie. No Strings Attached was even originally titled Friends with Benefits but had to change it.

some of my other favorites:
The Road to El Dorado - The Emperor's New Groove
Freddy vs. Jason - Alien vs. Predator
The Prestige - The Illusionist
Repo! The Genetic Opera - Repo Men
The Raid - Dredd
Goodbye Christopher Robin - Christopher Robin
Skate Kitchen - Mid90s

PS: @Camden I highly, highly recommend both The Raid films, they're excellent

Johnbobb
2 months ago#10
Camden posted...
Also, unpopular opinion but I like Dark City more than the Matrix.
I also like Dark City more than the Matrix!
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Movie Club Topic 4 - We Need to Talk About the Genius Saint Who Killed The Muppe
  • Post New Message