• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Ranking the TV shows and movies I watched in the year of lockdown

User Info: SeabassDebeste

SeabassDebeste
1 month ago#1
Just doing what B8 does best. I tried compiling from my watch history across streaming services, but only Netflix is particularly reliable, and I also watched on other people's accounts. But anyway, here we go. About 40 shows and 32 movies.

Series 40. Giri/Haji (Netflix 8-episode miniseries, 2019)

Man, this had so much potential. Kenzo is a Japanese cop sent to London to retrieve his previously-thought-dead yakuza brother Yuto, who's murdered a fellow yakuza and triggered a gang war in Japan. Its gunfights are ridiculously stylized.

The problem with this show begins with its melodrama. Characters acting like it's the END OF THE WORLD can heighten viewer emotion, but this show cranks it up huge. Making it worse, though, is the number of s***ty subplots we're forced to entertain. Other than the gang war and Kenzo, we're pelted with Kenzo's daughter and a random half-British, half-Japanese sex worker in London. Shockingly, Kenzo's daughter's main role is to get into trouble and get kidnapped. We're also force-fed an abominable romance between Kenzo and a British cop. They have zero chemistry and hey, why not put more pressure on Kenzo's wife, who at least is doing good things over in Japan.

I will say that the show is very ambitious, and there are some really entertaining gunfight scenes. It can be shockingly violent at times - lots of lovingly filmed bullets to the brain at unexpected times. But we're talking about a show where every character is either awful or tedious, and it literally culminates in a minutes-long, worldless interpretive dance sequence.
yet all azuarc of all sorts are more or less capricious and unreliable - they live in the varying outer weather, and they inhale its fickleness
(edited 1 month ago)

SeabassDebeste
1 month ago#2
Movie 32. Red Dragon (2002)

I love Silence of the Lambs. Its prequel, starring the same Anthony Hopkins but with Edward Norton, is... bad. Lecter himself is still reasonably enjoyable, but the plot is incredibly dull, and knowing we're in a prequel also takes some of the edge off. The villain is almost unwatchable.

It doesn't particularly help that during this same quarantine (list spoilers!) I watched Hannibal the TV series. The final few episodes tell the Red Dragon story. That story is dull enough there, but watching an inferior version in film form felt like a particularly bad waste of time.
yet all azuarc of all sorts are more or less capricious and unreliable - they live in the varying outer weather, and they inhale its fickleness

User Info: Aecioo

Aecioo
1 month ago#3
tagtagtag

Red Dragon is alright, but I would take the '86 Manhunter over it in a heartbeat because that film is bizarre. Red Dragon is just an excuse to make another Lecter film with Norton who was pretty much at the peak of his powers, only a few years removed from Primal Fear, American History X, and Fight Club.
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lcb35gGx0t1qailr4o1_500.gif
http://www.megavideo.com/?v=57N0YAEJ
(edited 1 month ago)

SeabassDebeste
1 month ago#4
Series 39. Dragon's Dogma (Netflix 7-episode miniseries, 2020)

In contrast to Giri/Haji, Dragon's Dogma never really promised me anything great. It's apparently based off a video game, which is obviously not very inspiring. (I could only stomach one episode of Castlevania.) Like so many other works, it's focused on being DARK AND GRITTY as it follows Ethan, a dude whose village gets slain by a dragon, and this not-human-but-looks-like-a-human woman who promises to be his protector/servant. He is out for REVENGE. The tone of things and the flat characters and flat plot make the show rather uninteresting overall.

There are some cool parts about this series, though. The naming of each episode is a deadly sin, and I kind of love symmetry that way. The peeks into the world remind me a lot of Kino's Journey - a bunch of vignettes that show how human nature is kind of f***ed up, but that there's something in there worth fighting for. And hey, when he confronts the dragon, there is a neat twist to it, so that's cool as well.

SeabassDebeste
1 month ago#5
Movie 31. Avatar (2009)

I think most people have heard of or seen this one - set on a distant planet, humans clash with the native humanoid creatures as they try to mine its natural resources. A disabled human soldier uses the avatar technology to take control of a genetically engineered Navi body, then becomes sympathetic to the Navi cause.

Finally saw this movie this year on Disney Plus. It's very visually cool and I really liked Signourney Weaver, but it was just a hard watch when the whole time I was disgusted with the white savior storyline. Lots of movies tend to have some sort of white supremacy in them, but this one feels worse because it seemingly tells us that exploiting other cultures is a bad thing while showing us how easy and cool it is to infiltrate another tribe, become better than them at everything they do, and bag their hottest chick. Gross.

SeabassDebeste
1 month ago#6
Series 38. The Undoing (HBO MAX 8-episode miniseries, 2020)

The Undoing is a Nicole Kidman vanity project. She plays a New York socialite whose husband (Hugh Grant), a respected surgeon, is accused of murdering the mother of one of her kid's classmates. The series plays out as a combination of courtroom drama and whodunnit.

This series is kind of a mess. It's ultra-grim/ethereal in tone and styles itself as a thriller. It has lots of shots of characters' hands as they react and lots of loving closeups on the protagonist's eyes as she gets more scared. But (and since it's a mystery, I'll spoiler-tag some of this) it randomly tosses in a ton of red herrings that really don't make sense. There's hints that Nicole Kidman is an unreliable narrator, for example, when the cops hit her with a gotcha that we didn't even notice as an audience. But very quickly they just write that off. The moment was meant to make us question things, but it doesn't really go anywhere. (Similar pointless suspicions are stirred for a rather pointlessly suspicious best friend and scenes featuring Nicole Kidman's dad. These are never actually addressed either.)

The smoking gun/pivotal moments are also rather botched. The next spoiler addresses the ending itself -
it's exciting when they discover the murderer is Grant himself, and that flashback is pretty visceral... but it's incredibly unsatisfying how they "prove" it. First, a weapon appears on the murderer's own property, a move that's so dumb even the lawyer woman yells at him for it. Secondly, the way the protagonist "gets" him in court is super-annoying - she really shouldn't have been allowed to testify at all, since the case was already won for the defense. And the anecdote she shared... I mean, it was pretty chilling hearing that story from her mother-in-law, but it's literally a repeated story of something she never even saw herself. The final scene on a bridge also doesn't feel like closure so much as just "OK, he's cornered, so there you go.

This is a show that could be remembered a lot better by sticking the ending, especially since it's a miniseries. But that clumsiness really makes the whole thing feel less satisfying.

The central unraveling is a worthy tale. Who is your partner? Can you really know them? For that, and some of the slow-burn thrills it delivers, this show isn't a total waste of time. But a miniseries certainly deserves a strong ending, especially a mystery, and this one utterly botches the final stretch.

SeabassDebeste
1 month ago#7
Movie 30. Holidate (2020)

This is a Netflix original Christmas movie. It hits a bunch of romcom cliches, starting with the preposterous premise: that you "need" a guy who will just be your date, no questions asked, for some occasions. The chemistry here is poor and the snappy dialogue is basically just lampshading the tropes that get hit without actually using those tropes to any particularly good effect. I don't really remember this one well enough to go much more into detail, but it's certainly a forgettable piece of work.

SeabassDebeste
1 month ago#8
gonna continue this because why not

Series 37. Dating Around (Season 2, 2020, 6ish episodes)

Dating Around is a pretty interesting concept. You follow a person as they go on three separate dates at the same restaurant. There are lots of cameras around each date, and you just watch them happen. The clever editing splices each date so you can't actually tell which ones happened in which order. Instead you get the cuts as the same person, in the same seat on different nights, greets different people entering. It's kind of fun to watch how different or similar those greetings can be - sometimes a hug, sometimes an awkward comment about appearance, etc. At the end of the episode, they choose one person to see again.

Season 1 took place in, surprise, New York. Season 2 decides to move to New Orleans, and it's noticeably worse as a result. The anonymity and dating pool just feel a lot smaller there. The participants will talk about New Orleans an uncomfortable amount, and in one episode, a participant is like the ex-professor or something of the other participant. In another, two gay men were actually exes. The two Asian people who got paired together seemed to find the fact they were both Asian to be extremely surprising. The people from New York talked about New York. Overall, it felt less like anonymity and more like this weird searching of "how do I know you."

I don't remember most of the dates in particular this season, though I do remember being rather dissatisfied with many of their choices. The best part of the season was probably the one girl in episode 1 who didn't give a f*** about going real hard eating messy.

User Info: Mega Mana

Mega Mana
1 month ago#9
Tag
"In my headcanon, some staffer saw Trump pull out his phone and start typing so they just Terry Tate Office Linebacker'd him out of his shoes." - FFD

User Info: Pokalicious

Pokalicious
1 month ago#10
Tag
ph33r teh masta~!
Currently playing - Pokemon GO
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Ranking the TV shows and movies I watched in the year of lockdown
  • Post New Message