• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. I rank 164 non-VGM songs [ranking]

User Info: Collen

Collen
4 weeks ago#171
Must say I wasn't expecting dab to make the top 50 but hey, I'm not complaining. Very glad to see DONE still around too!

"At the end, there’s a dog whining for some reason." That's one way to interpret that sound. Not quite sure what exactly they sampled for that one, but it's a plastic object atleast. (liner notes say either an exercise ball, a DNA kit, or an ATM card so pick your poison)
Through the information you float. In control but so remote

User Info: rwlh

rwlh
4 weeks ago#172
Snake5555555555 posted...
Know 22 of the songs but I'm horrible at guessing where things place.

That seems like an impressively high number for this set of nominations, but I'm no expert. Pretty sure I knew fewer than ten of the nominated songs when this started.

Collen posted...
"At the end, there’s a dog whining for some reason." That's one way to interpret that sound. Not quite sure what exactly they sampled for that one, but it's a plastic object atleast. (liner notes say either an exercise ball, a DNA kit, or an ATM card so pick your poison)

Huh, interesting. Kind of funny what goes into different sound effects.

rwlh
4 weeks ago#173
Up!

rwlh
3 weeks ago#174
And up.

rwlh
3 weeks ago#175
And again.

User Info: Not_an_Owl

Not_an_Owl
3 weeks ago#176
Any estimate of when this will resume?
Besides, marijuana is far more harmful than steroids. - BlitzBomb
I headbang to Bruckner.

rwlh
2 weeks ago#177
Not_an_Owl posted...
Any estimate of when this will resume?

Thinking sometime in early to mid May. VGMC nominations will be over by then and I can devote some time to this.

rwlh
2 weeks ago#178
Soon!

rwlh
1 week ago#179
50. Mike Oldfield - The Bell
https://youtu.be/uDp-xpN7Xqg
@SuperbVEVO (ELIMINATED)
7.5 / 8 / 8 / 6.5 / 7

This is a lovely song that cycles through different instruments as it progress, which it . . . feels the need to announce every time. That’s certainly a musical decision. I would definitely prefer it not do that lol. I’d rather be swept along by the gradual changes in a more subtle way. But the overall effect is still very cool. The progression is nice and the underlying rhythm is great. All that said, my favorite part is the key change at 5:00, when the song changes up a bit.

49. Minotaur Shock - Flytip Toe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs3nEawldR0
@GameBopAdv (2 remaining)
8 / 6 / 9.5 / 8.5 / 5

Nice “rubbery” glitch sounds, very crystally. A great combination of sounds which are normally pleasing to my ear. The beat is very swingy and actually reminds me of Jamie Berry - Lost in the Rhythm (#61 on the list), which is a completely different type of song but has a similar beat – maybe I’m making that up? I don’t know. The meter changes a lot, and there are stretches where I can’t tell what it is, which I like.

rwlh
1 week ago#180
48. Takeshi Nakatsuka - JAPANESE BOY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTVHW3mwmKQ
@cakophon (2 remaining)
7 / 7 / 8.5 / 7.5 / 7.5

I love how bouncy this is! The vocalist reminds me of a Japanese Death Cab for Cutie in terms of vocal inflection; I also get Katamari vibes all throughout. I could see this played during a chase sequence in a film. Love the jazz, love the horns and sax and the big orchestral hits. This is a song that goes big and lands. Also, I said I wasn’t judging based on the video, but that video is really great.

As an aside, this is the first song that achieved a rating of 7 or higher in every category. Congratulations!

47. Mylène Farmer - Sans Logique
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Xx4qCpI38
@FL81 (ELIMINATED)
8 / 7.5 / 7.5 / 6.5 / 8

My notes for this song are “nice 80s feel, with strong castanet energy.” The song has power in reservation: nothing is too bombastic. The vocals, for instance, are very measured and almost “quiet,” but they’re haunting and eerie. Sans Logique is also incredibly catchy, particularly the breathy chorus. I’ve come back to this one a few times since nominations.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. I rank 164 non-VGM songs [ranking]
  • Post New Message