• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. NFUN Ranks 1000 VGM: 300 VGM Edition

User Info: NFUN

NFUN
1 month ago#221
spreadsheet!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
*checks spreadsheet*

Hmm, surprising last pick left. Not from NFUN's perspective, because none of my nominations were really tailored, they were mostly arbitrary. More surprising seeing it myself, because it was one of those filler songs that I threw in just to get 20 noms. So a lucky guess, pretty much.

Top 50 should have some good writeups, hopefully.
Hey man, LlamaGuy did encrypt the passwords.
With what? ROT-13? -CJayC

User Info: UF8

UF8
1 month ago#223
*also checks*

huh ok (ya go my lifecycle)

User Info: dowolf

dowolf
1 month ago#224
Toxtricity posted...

vgmc~!?

I mean... :)
Nonsense. "Testing" is for when you're still guessing--and now, I have no need to guess. -- Agatha, Girl Genius

User Info: Earthshaker

Earthshaker
1 month ago#225
I know I'm coming to this topic extremely late, as I only started coming to this board a little after SD's Discord opened up, but... wait, no, I'm still confused. And now annoyed that I accidentally clicked on Rise and Shine Ursine after finishing up DRV3 this week.

Pity I got in too late to throw on the nominations, but would you really want me throwing more Samurai Shodown and FFXIV your way?
[Brackets.] - Current and ongoing games: FFXIV, Vermintide 2, League of Legends, Warframe. Streaming soon on Twitch

NFUN
1 month ago#226
i got one ffxiv song and zero samurai shodown songs (and heard zero of the latter), and considering one person used up every slot for the same game, at worst, you could only tie for least diversity!

you can throw songs at me if you want and i'll give my thoughts

NFUN
1 month ago#227
50./60. Bio Force Ape - Stage 1
Nominator: @-hotdogturtle--
9.2 (8.7/1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQcWAn66qjo
Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town. This is really good for this kind of NES tune. For the most part, NES soundtracks fall very short for me. Geniuses like Follin or Gonzalez are really the exception. I'm probably being overly critical, since the way I look at it is a little weird. The way I figure it, to make a general song, you need to choose appropriate instruments, create a melody, add harmonics and backings and percussion, and mix and master it. NES streamlines the process by sharply restricting what and how many instruments you can do and how much you can affect the mastering (of course, you can do insane technical things if you're good, but it seems most composers work on a more-or-less level playing field). As a result, you'd think that they'd be able to do more and interesting things with the melody; after all, it isn't like their selection of notes is meaningfully restricted. And yet, video game music seemingly hadn't really evolved to that point yet, judging by how much early VGM were just classical songs translated and how blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I find so much of it. There are other factors, yada yada, but the result is that most of what I hear is just stunningly mediocre. Uninteresting melodies, for no apparent reason besides lack of talent or imagination. *This* is how I expect NES music to sound, more or less. Something even simpler than this is fine. Just like, the main melodic instrument and scale playing behind it is so much better than so much else of what I heard, and that doesn't seem technically challenging at all. It's got emotion behind it, instead of being a flat expanse of nothing. If I listen to a random modern soundtrack, sure, I won't be surprised if it's boring. It might have boring sounds or melodies or mixing, the key being that there's so many more points of failure, and half the time they're going for that mood anyway, a mood made possible by higher-fidelity instruments. There's a lot of good NES soundtracks, of course, by good composers. It's just, more than anything else, I want to scream 'You had ONE job!' at the composers of the legions of completely forgettable chiptune soundtracks. Se7en doesn't have a terrible high average

oh yeah this song. most of it is fairly good. enjoyable. what really elevates it is that section at 1:10. That melody is absolutely fantastic. Every time I listen, I question why I placed this so high, and then that segment shows up and knocks my socks off. Absolutely beautiful

You may have cursed yourself a bit, hdt. oops

49./57. Fairy Fencer F - Unbreakable King
Nominator: @Direkrow
9.2 (8.7/1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cPy0Yp8IAs
That very basic bar of trumpet eighth notes thing this does is very effective on me somehow. Overall, maybe the best use of trumpets of any song submitted. When I look at any individual aspect of this song, it seems pretty simple, and yet the whole is pretty great. There are a lot of songs, like the Blazblues and Senran Kaguras, which are fairly similar to this, and they usually try to work in something unique so they're not just a rock song. Those all did much worse. I really don't think there's a significant difference between those and this; this wins because the flair in the form of the trumpet is the winner. Favorite part: 1:38-155

NFUN
1 month ago#228
48./55. Occultic;Nine - RESOLUTION
Nominator: @kaonashi
9.2 (8.7/1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tIcVeP0HOQ
ohhhhh Takeshi, what are you doing? This is *cool*. You can hear the sci;adv vocal pads in the back and there's plenty of sci-fi sounds all over the place, but this is much funkier than Steins;Gate or Robono. Basically, he took a song from one of those soundtracks (which I adore) and gave it a neat piano and new synths that make me think of MMBN. Why wouldn't I love this? Favorite part: 1:27-140

47./28. Granado Espada - Laguerra del Mundo
Nominator: @trdl23
9.2 (9.2/0)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_--z5kyU1w
I am victorious.

trdl is not

NFUN
1 month ago#229
46./27. Monty on the Run - In-Game Music
Nominator: @rwlh
9.2 (9.2/0)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIA_0cvS2gQ
Absolutely insane. Blows my mind whenever I look at the simple oscilloscope. I'd comment more about how I feel about the song, but the predominant emotion is always bafflement that this exists, and expressing that for 400 words would get tiresome. Favorite part: 1:06-1:09

45./26. Yakuza 6: The Song of Life - Today is a Diamond / Honjitsu wa Diamond
Nominator: @handsomeboy2012
9.2 (9.2/0)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ogfouf7f8g
I managed to get my friend into Yakuza, who ended up loving the series. His favorite part wasn't the games, nor the characters, nor the story, but this stupid f***ing song. He loves it to death, and plays it all the time. I bet he's done actual karaoke to it, somehow, by now. I see his point. It's so damn infectious, regardless of how much you actually like it. Seeing Kiryu strumming a ukulele and singing in this video while everybody nods along is so goofy in the best way. I don't have a choice in not giving it a low score. Favorite part: 1:27-1:31

get up my baby!

bye rwlh

NFUN
1 month ago#230
44./54. Samorost 3 - Mushroom Picker Dance
Nominator: @Zyxyz0
9.3 (8.8/1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFB2wcxPTn0
Very strange feel this has. I didn't have high hopes for it with the weird... mushroom sounds at the beginning, but I think the Bastion feel it went for was perfect for it. I honestly can't articulate what this song is going for besides 'mushroom', but whatever it is, it did it. Huh. Was totally expecting this to be a relatively normal jangler or maybe a kaonashi nom, but somehow it's Zyx?? Favorite part: 1:26-end

That guy in the thumbnail? It's me. Mushrooms

https://twitter.com/redsunO21/status/1356623647176327169?s=19

43./52. Deemo - Dedication
Nominator: @JONALEON1
9.3 (8.8/1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeWIyU5eVQ4
Apparently I got three void songs and didn't realize it until actually looking through the list of composers. They all sound pretty different. This one feels more soulful than the others (it's Deemo, so that makes sense). Mixes the piano and flute very well with the classic rhythm tropes. I want to give props to this song for being "classy". It's *tasteful*. So many rhythm songs go way too hard into the rhythm game song genre (compare this to FLOWER, which I feel goes for something similar), and so many songs going for something emotional end up being navel-gazing, boring, sappy, or other epithets that probably aren't actually meaningful to anybody (perhaps including myself). This is very restrained, and knows how to use moderation. It doesn't go too hard on any aspect and knows when not to push its luck. As a result, it's something almost sublime. It's masterful. Probably my favorite example of this style I've heard. Favorite part: 3:19-end
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. NFUN Ranks 1000 VGM: 300 VGM Edition
  • Post New Message