• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. The Board 8 Discord Sports Chat Ranks Their Top 100 Respective VIDEO Games pt. 2

User Info: KCF0107

KCF0107
1 month ago#41
HM: Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (DS, 2009)
https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/5/6/6/AAN44mAABXyO.jpg

This was hardly the first GTA on a handheld, but given that it was neither a port nor a strong tie-in, it was the most original GTA to hit the handheld. Given what I loved most about GTA, I was surprised at how well it translated to the DS. I don't remember much in the way of specifics about the core of the game if I've being honest. It has been about a decade since I last played it. Why this game stood out to me though, and why at one point I considered it to be in the running for my favorite DS game was a side activity: drug dealing.

The best way to make money in the game was by playing the drug market. Each area in the city had its own drug prices, and they change over time. Also, various gangs favor certain drugs over others, adding some extra layers to a basic premise. There were times where I would be absorbed in buying and selling various drugs for hours just so I could buy some properties I would never use.
KCF can't actually be a real person but he is - greengravy
If you smell what the rock is cooking he's cooking crap - ertyu
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Pokalicious

Pokalicious
1 month ago#42
Tag
ph33r teh masta~!
Currently playing - Pokemon GO

User Info: MrSmartGuy

MrSmartGuy
1 month ago#43
#58 - Mario Kart 8 (Wii U, 2014)
https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/5/7/5/AANxMBAABXyX.jpg

Mario Kart is one of the most consistent series in videogame history. I played all of them as they came out, and only one of them has failed to dominate my free time over the following few weeks, and that wasn’t the game’s fault. It was because The World Ends With You came out at basically the same time as Mario Kart Wii.

But it was Mario Kart 8 that elevated it all to the next level, and it’s mostly due to the addition of gravity-defying sideways and upside-down segments. This leads to some of the best-designed racing courses ever made. And they all look fantastic to boot. To this day, Mario Kart 8 is still one of the most pleasing games to look at. AND it feels great to play! Some of the items are really good, but none of them are completely overbearing, and it almost never leads to an overly frustrating finish, like Mario Kart Wii was famous for. If you are the best Mario Kart player in a group, you are going to win most of the time. But not ALL of the time, which is the perfect balance between skill and luck for a Mario Kart game.

It also had maybe the best online of any Nintendo game. By which I mean to say it was actually mostly worked. That’s more than I can say about 95% of their other attempts to provide online functionality! And that was enough for me to play with Board 8 a lot! And realize I wasn’t the hot s*** I thought I was! f*** you Ermine. f*** you Grand Kirby.
Xbox GT/PSN name/Nintendo ID: TatteredUniform
http://www.scuffletown.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/tRBE1.gif

KCF0107
1 month ago#44
HMs: Max Payne and Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne (Xbox, 2001, 2003)
https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/5/7/6/AAN44mAABXyY.jpg

Remedy Entertainment has put together quite the impressive resume. They may be known to most people as the company behind Control and the Alan Wake games, but their two Max Payne games are my favorite works from them.

Stylish third-person shooters, the Remedy-era Max Payne games had the best video game use of bullet-time up to that point, and it never got old. As the screenshot shows, it can lead to some ridiculously over-the-top outcomes. You would think then that it would just be your run-of-the-mill, high-octane romp, but you'd be mistaken. The Max Payne matched the gameplay with a neo-noir tale about a cynical, self-pitying former detective full of religious and mythlogical overtones and a flair for dark comedic timing. Beyond the gameplay and world-building, what helps sell the game is the excellent inner monologue done by Max's voice actor James McCaffrey.

I actually didn't play them for the first time until around 2010, so I feel pretty confident that I would still hold the games in high regard if I played them again now.

User Info: Whiskey_Nick

Whiskey_Nick
1 month ago#45
Can confirm I was hot s*** at MKWii and MK8 Online until I played with B8. Ermine and GK broke my back and made me humble
I am Nick. Go Sens, Bills, Blue Jays!
UotY 2015, You should listen to The Show w/ Ngamer and Yoblazer

KCF0107
1 month ago#46
HM: Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii, 2010)
https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/5/8/7/AAN44mAABXyj.jpg

Kirby games I feel like have high floors but low ceilings. They exude charm and make you feel unstoppable. That's a winning combo! Unfortunately, they fail to harness in their strengths in a way that gives the games lasting appeal. Despite going back to a time when Kirby couldn't copy powers (though he still had contextual powers) or even inhale enemies, Epic Yarn manages to break free and give an unforgettable experience.

It all starts with the fabric art style which left me in constant awe. It was a perfect match for the vibrant color scheme that the Kirby series is known for. With there being no risk of death, I soaked in the scenery frequently. I have choice paralysis thinking about what levels or worlds were aesthetically my favorite. Good Feel, the developers, then utilized their stylistic choice to superbly base the gameplay after that. Because Kirby is made of yarn, he can transform himself into various objects at will, including a parachute and car. You also frequently interact with the environment to solve puzzles in order to proceed through the level or find secret collectibles that could only be made possible if everything was made of fabric.

They also did this to the Yoshi series to mixed results, but their debut attempt in Epic Yarn was a slam dunk.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: WiggumFan267

WiggumFan267
1 month ago#47
#71. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (DS, 2008)
For a game series that is entirely puzzle based game play, and just one after another, with what winds up usually being a strong story in between... well, that's exactly what this is!
As is the case with Layton games, the plot is here is a weird impossible scenario, how can this be happening! This is not physically possible! And the reasoning is "oh... well this is actually physically possible but excuse me what the f***?" and the remains the case here. I don't really want to talk about the plot specifically in these games, but this one is extra wild and hilarious between what is seemingly going on (time travel!?) and what is actually going on (??????). Anyway, if its not obvious by now I like puzzle games, especially when they can be strung together by a good narrative and this does that. The cutscenes are great and colorful, with good voice acting. And obviously Layton is a TRUE GENTLEMAN. I think the walking around tapping random s*** until you find a puzzle or a hint can get a little tedious, but its definitely forgivable. Shoutout to Diabolical Box though for having the amazing cutscene where he SWORDFIGHTS A GODDAMN VAMPIRE...well sort of but not really a vampire. The ending of this one is legitimately emotional though!

https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/5/9/2/AACyf_AABXyo.jpg

Next up: Roger Maris' favorite game?
~Wigs~ 3-Time Consecutive Fantasy B8 Baseball Champion
2015 NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPION NEW YORK METS
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Murphiroth

Murphiroth
1 month ago#48
KCF0107 posted...
HM: Coffee Talk (XB1, 2020)
https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/5/3/9/AAN44mAABXxz.jpg

I bought this on a whim last year and yeah it's really good! Left me wanting more of the universe it's set in.
(edited 1 month ago)

KCF0107
1 month ago#49
Final HM: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS, 2006)
https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/6/0/3/AAN44mAABXyz.jpg

What an absurdly fun and ridiculous game! I am so sad that we never got the third game that featured ships instead of tanks.

DQH: Rocket Slime was a hybrid genre game. It was part action-adventure where you went through standard levels attacking enemies and sending items or even enemies on rail cars back to your base. Don't get me wrong, those portions of the game were fun and silly as you attacked by flinging yourself at enemies and watching them go flying and bouncing off of things or throwing objects that you carry on top of your head. However, that is not what made the game special. It was the surprisingly deep RTS tank battles that made the game stand out like it did.

These have two massive tanks pitted against one another. You can attack by throwing objects that you found throughout the game into cannons to launch at the other tank. Launchable items have all sorts of different effects, so it is imperative that you decide on your pre-fight ammunition inventory seriously or it could spell immediate doom for you. You can also launch crew mates to land on the opposing tank to attack cannons, enemy crew mates, and other stuff to hinder your opponent. You can even, and most likely have to, launch yourself. There are various levels to a tank, each housing cannons, enemies, and other stuff you can destroy. Once any tank reaches 0 HP, the fight isn't over. At this time, the tank's engine becomes exposed on the inside, and that means that no matter how either side got to that point, the final attack must be done on foot. In the more evenly contested matches, both sides could be scrambling to attack the opposing engine at the same time, leading to some thrilling finishes. I've had my fair share of close wins and losses.

I acutally had totally forgotten what the point of the game was. Apparently it was to rescue slimes. Whatever, tank battles rule.

KCF0107
1 month ago#50
#100. Unholy Heights (PC, 2013)
https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/6/5/2/AAN44mAABXzk.jpg

Half building management sim, half tower defense game, this was quite the unique debut game from the four-person team of Petit Depotto. You play as the devil who becomes a landlord of a small apartment complex seeking monster tenants There's also those pesky humans seeking to wipe out monsters, so they will have to frequently defend themselves and their shelter from human attacks. You have some freedom during fights, such as when to send out tenants and when to have them retreat, but much about battling is automated, which is right up my alley because I don't like forced micromanagement.

There are a wide variety of monster types, each with their own strengths and weaknesses and wants and needs that give the game more strategic elements if you are trying to recruit certain types of monsters. Over time, tenants will fall in love and produce offspring, giving you more defenders of your turf at your disposal. The building will also grow over time to house more monsters, which you'll need because that coincides with increasingly dangerous attacks by the humans.

I generally am not a fan of tower defense, but it sunk its claws into me almost immediately. I finished it in roughly 10 hours across a single weekend, a mark seldom seen in my post-college life. I can't imagine playing this without KB+M, but I happened to find it on sale on Switch eShop within the past year and decided to buy it again just in case I wanted to try it handheld.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. The Board 8 Discord Sports Chat Ranks Their Top 100 Respective VIDEO Games pt. 2
  • Post New Message