• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. The Board 8 Discord Sports Chat Ranks Their Top 100 Respective VIDEO Games pt. 2

User Info: CherryCokes

CherryCokes
1 month ago#31
oh s***, i remember zombies ate my neighbors

it was on the SNES at the boys and girls club when I was an adolescent
The Thighmaster

User Info: CherryCokes

CherryCokes
1 month ago#32
65. Audiosurf (PC, 2008)
https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/3/5/1/AAPnqYAABXu3.jpg
The late 2000s really saw rhythm games expanding in all directions, trying to find the next Guitar Hero. Shy of Rock Band, which literally and metaphorically was the next Guitar Hero, Audiosurf is maybe the game that got the closest. The concept is pretty simple: you take equal parts Klax and F-Zero, and code it so the game can generate a course based on any song the player chooses from their library of MP3s. The result is an undulating, fast-paced, sometimes hypnotic rhythm game with an unlimited library of songs and infinite replayability. As DRM, and then later streaming services, became the predominant powers in the digital music space, Audiosurf was one of the casualties; a sequel was released in 2013 to almost no fanfare or reception.

But for those years in the late 00s and early 10s, Audiosurf was a reliably fun way to pass a lot of time listening to music in a way none of us had really thought could exist.

64. Pikmin (Gamecube, 2001)
https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/3/5/2/AAPnqYAABXu4.jpg
Pikmin is a series that immediately captivated me. It took two things I love - real-time strategy and action-adventure - and put them together in a way that was as delightful as it was unexpected as it was nerve-wracking. You don't anticipate when you boot up a Pikmin game for the first time that you will form an emotional attachment to these hundreds of little weird creatures, but the more you get into the game, the more you do. When they die in battle, or god forbid if you don't get them back to the onions in time, you feel bad. They trusted you! And you let them die! So you push yourself harder to do better, to keep them safe, even though death is lurking for both the Pikmin and Olimar at every turn. There's almost an element of survival horror to it, except you're keeping 101 creatures alive instead of one or two. It's brilliant and affecting and I adore it.

That being said, Pikmin is the worst of the three main Pikmin games. It suffers a bit from the technical limitations of being an early GameCube game where Pikmin 2 and 3 exist at the upper reaches of their original system's technical capabilities. The remastered versions of 1 and 2 for Wii fix some of this, but it doesn't do enough to elevate Pikmin over Pikmin 2. Truthfully, I'd love to see the first two games re-ported to Switch, because the series as a whole is under-played, in large part due to the fact that the GCN and Wii games were relatively hard to find copies of.

63. WarioWare: Smooth Moves! (Wii, 2007)
https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/3/5/3/AAPnqYAABXu5.jpg
For my money, this is the peak (for now, at least) of the WarioWare series. As a Wii launch title, it showed us, more than any other early game, just what this seemingly insane control scheme was capable of. It took the bizarre insanity of the WarioWare games, which had largely been a portable affair (let's just pretend Mega Party Games doesn't exist) and turned it into a frenzied, shared experience we were all having in our living rooms with our friends and family.

And like the Wario Land 4, the less said about the attempts to follow this game the better. Nintendo: get it together with the two Wario series already. Yeesh.

62. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (DS, 2005)
https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/3/5/4/AAPnqYAABXu6.jpg
Growing up not owning NES, SNES or PlayStation, and having not played Castlevania 64, I never really got into Metroidvanias until Dawn of Sorrow. I still really haven't! But Dawn of Sorrow hit me at the right time and I loved it. Soma Cruz and his soul-stealing make for a compelling, highly variable playable character (who would have been much more interesting as a Smash DLC fighter than the Belmonts, IMO). I don't have a lot to say about this one, especially since you guys all know both it and the genre better than I do!

61. NBA Street Vol. 2 (Gamecube, 2003)
https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/3/5/5/AAPnqYAABXu7.jpg
It's not news to anyone from #sports that my favorite sport is basketball. I will watch any good basketball that is available regardless of whether not I have a rooting interest. Despite my adoration of basketball - or perhaps because of it - I have rarely loved basketball video games.

NBA Street Vol. 2 is one of those rare exceptions.

The series started in 2001 as EA's attempt to cash in on the immensely popular And1 mixtape phenomenon, which featured street ball legends playing the most over the top, flashy, incredible basketball in parks, mostly around New York. And1, of course, was the result of increasing availability of portable video cameras and early cellphones meeting a half-century-long history of stylistically heightened ball that been played in places like the Rucker dating back to the 50s. The Rucker was in some ways to the NBA what the Negro Leagues were to the MLB: freer, looser, Blacker and more fun than their stodgier relatives.

NBA Street Vol. 2 captured all of that perfectly. They brought in perhaps the most authentic voice possible to do the color commentary: Bobbito Garcia aka Kool Bob Love aka DJ Cucumber Slice, a former streetballer turned DJ, radio host, and record label owner. As a DJ and radio show host, he and his partner Stretch Armstrong helped break some of the most enormous rap artists of all time: Nas, Jay-Z, the Wu-Tang Clan, the Fugees, Big L, the Notorious B.I.G., among many many others. As the founder of Fondle 'Em Records, he launched the career of the recently departed MF Doom and served as the precursor to El-P's Def Jux label. Bobbito was the secret sauce that married the solid gameplay of NBA Street, the hip-hop culture surrounding street ball, the soundtrack of the game, and the newly-added NBA legends - many of whom had history at the Rucker themselves - and turned it into the best basketball video game that has yet been created.
The Thighmaster

User Info: Arti

Arti
1 month ago#33
#72 - The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (Vita, 2015)

Even after enjoying the first two Trails games I played I sat on this one for way too long; didn't play it for a year and then set it down for almost three years before finally beating it this year. I'm not sure why I waited so long as it's very similar in structure to how the original Trails in the Sky was - building and explaining a new region to players while setting up a large plot happening behind the scenes. The bonding point mechanics are almost a complete ripoff from Persona, but like that series it helps develop the side characters and other party members very well. The battle system is very easy to break apart, and it's always fun to make characters with 100% dodge just to laugh at bosses.

#71 - Super Mario Odyssey (Switch, 2017)

There are a lot of moons in this game. Maybe a bit too many.

In all seriousness, I did enjoy my time with Super Mario Odyssey. It has probably the best level in any Mario game with Metro Kingdom / New Donk City. I definitely like a lot of the 2D moons as well as it was an interesting addition to the game as well. I also like both of the vocal themes in this game, and occasionally listen to each of them outside of playing the game.

#70 - DJMAX Respect (PS4, 2018)

DJMAX Respect, on top of being a new release in a series that was pretty forgotten overall (especially outside of Korea), is actually a huge project that spans the entire series and an example on what most rhythm game franchises should try to do eventually. DJMAX Respect takes all the songs from the first two games and adds a number of its own tracks to provide an amazing experience. It continues to add songs from other games in the series through DLC: we never had official releases of Clazziquai, Black Square, Trilogy and others, but all of them are represented here. Also added in Respect is various collaborations with other games like adding songs from Guilty Gear, Girls' Frontline, Deemo, and others. It's truly one of the largest libraries in any rhythm game; not as expansive as Rock Band or Rocksmith, but it's definitely continually updating.

#69 - Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (PC, 2000 and GBA, 2001)

My favorite Tony Hawk game, and the one I spent the most time with as a kid is easily Pro Skater 2, of which I played on both the PC and the GBA versions. I still remember all the secrets from each of the levels, and seeing them all implemented in 1+2 this year was pretty cool. I think, through all of the plays I did, that I completed the Career with every skater at least once, including Spider-Man. The computer I did it on is obviously long gone, though, so I can't check it. I did buy all of the Tony Hawk games up to the first Underground when I disliked where the series was going and dropped it, but it was one of my favorite series when I was a kid. The GBA version was very similar to the main games, even, and while it had to remove some of the levels and shrink some of the others, it was a worthwhile addition and still played very well.
http://backloggery.com/articuno2001/sig.gif
azuarc may not know the strength of songs in VGMC, but he conquered the guru in Game of the Decade 2! Congrats!

User Info: Naye745

Naye745
1 month ago#34
66. Pokémon Picross (3DS, 2015)
https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/4/5/2/AAAgizAABXwc.jpg
I have Wigs to thank for this one; at a rhythm game tournament in New Jersey in August 2016 he introduced me to this game and I literally played it daily for nine months. Pokémon Picross is a free-to-play 3DS game that limited the amount you could play it (though you could spend picarats to recharge your meter) and limited the amount of content you could access (though you could spend picarats to unlock more). Of course, picarats cost real-life money. However, if you were patient enough, you could earn a meager daily picarat income and eventually buy the next set of levels after a few weeks, hence playing it for nine months straight.
Picross is a pretty fun concept; like I said in the Minesweeper writeup, it's exciting and novel for a while until it becomes fairly rote. You're given a set of numbered clues for each row and column, and use them to fill in squares until you make a picture. Cute pictures of Pokémon absolutely helped out with the appeal, and there's like 200-300 stages worth of content in the game, plus the daily challenge is pretty compelling as well.
It's always hard to quantify where something like this ranks - it's not particularly replayable and even if I did the experience would be entirely different - but for getting me into picross in general this absolutely deserves a spot in the countdown.

65. F-Zero: Maximum Velocity (GBA, 2001)
https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/4/5/3/AAAgizAABXwd.jpg
F-Zero is one of my all-time favorite video game franchises, without question. Racing games have a pretty natural appeal to them, and F-Zero always seemed to know how to strike the right balance of making interesting and crazy tracks while never forgetting that the racing itself should be the star of the show.
In summer 2001, this was the game I got with the launch of the Game Boy Advance, playing it pretty much nonstop for two months including during a two-week vacation in northeast Canada. On one hand, I kind of retroactively wish I would have cared more about the trip, but on the other, F-Zero: Maximum Velocity is an excellent game, and was hard as hell to master. Structured around the formula of the original F-Zero, you race through five laps of a track, earning a boost after each lap, and also having to ensure you are within the top few places after each lap, decreasing from 15 to 10 to 7 to 5 to 3 (or something). It's punishing, though both the levels and the game's physics aren't as brutal as the original. Even so, as a kid, I managed to beat all the cups on all the difficulties, unlock all the characters, and set some pretty rad records on the Championship Circuit.
The game looks really solid for early GBA - the SNES-style Mode-7 works well here - and there are a lot of creative courses. There are certainly better F-Zero games, and full 3D is always more suited for racers anyway, but FZMV is still pretty fun to go back to, even if there's a lot of nostalgia baked in there. This the only F-Zero entry coming for quite a while, but I still wanted to give the series its due - there's no excuse for why there hasn't been a follow up in over 15 years at this point.
Top 5 Courses: Ancient Mesa: Split Circuit - Tenth Zone East: Plummet Circuit - Cloud Carpet: Long Jump Circuit - Synobazz: Championship Circuit - Cloud Carpet: Icarus Circuit
it's an underwater adventure ride

User Info: MrSmartGuy

MrSmartGuy
1 month ago#35
#59 - Hot Shots Golf Fore! (PS2, 2004)
https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/4/6/4/AANxMBAABXwo.jpg

Hey, remember Jak and Daxter? Cuz Sony doesn’t.

Anyway, as I said in my Out of Bounds write-up, I didn’t get introduced to the series until HSG3, but right then and there, I was immediately hooked. However, I never actually got 3 myself; I just played it at a friend’s house. I made sure to pick up the next game when it came out, and it was an absolute masterpiece of arcade golf. It had an extensive single-player, introduced online play, and had a ridiculous TWELVE courses to play, all with mirrored and harder tee options. In comparison, Out of Bounds shipped with only 6 courses available from the get-go, and that was the next generation title. It also brought in Ratchet and Jak as playable golfers, along with Clank and Daxter as caddie options.

Beyond everything I’ve said before, I can’t state enough just how good Hot Shots Golf games feel to play. They appear very cartoony and play up the caricatures of their characters, but the golf itself is actually more realistic than the Tiger Woods games at the time, which labeled themselves as more of a golf sim kind of game. Not saying that they weren’t fun, but Hot Shots has always filled a major gap in what would otherwise be basically an empty void for golf games I truly love.
Xbox GT/PSN name/Nintendo ID: TatteredUniform
http://www.scuffletown.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/tRBE1.gif

User Info: KCF0107

KCF0107
1 month ago#36
A new challenger approaches!

The initial discussion for this came at a time when I was absent, and I was otherwise a little busy to start thinking about this. I finally got around to thinking about this in the past week and finally came up with 100 games to choose. Among everyone participating, I have to assume that I have the widest gaming history. I have probably played in the realm of 1500 games in my lifetime. Luckily, I have an account on a backlog site and had a few games that I never owned in the back of mind, so coming up with a preliminary list wasn't especially difficult.

Unfortunately, that preliminary list had a little over 200 games. I began tiering the games, and I got 75 games that were definitely in while the last tier had about 150 lol. I agonzied for days what to cut and what to keep, but I realized that I could completely flip those final 25 spots any given day, and just went with what stood out to me. Just keep in mind that the standard deviation in the back portion is massive lol. I also find ranking stuff kind of difficult, so I wouldn't consider these to be set-in-stone rankings of mine.

Here are the platform breakdowns of my game. If I played a game for multiple systems, I put down either what I felt was the best version or what I played first:
Xbox 360- 18
PC - 17
SNES - 10
Xbox One - 10
N64 - 8
PS3 - 7
DS - 6
Gamecube - 5
PS2 - 3
3DS- 2
Xbox - 2
Vita - 2
PS4 - 2
PS1 - 1
Game Boy - 1
Android - 1
Switch - 1
Atari 2600 - 1
GBA - 1
Wii U - 1
Wii - 1

In addition, I also did a very broad genre breakdown, some of which I made my own judgement that might be disagreed on. I considered being more specific, but I felt that would take away some of the (probably negative) surprise:
Platformer - 15
Action-Adventure - 14
Puzzle - 12
FPS - 11
Racing - 10
Stealth - 6
Sports - 5
RPG - 5
Party - 5
Adventure - 5
Strategy - 4
Simulation - 3
Arcade - 2
TPS- 1
Card - 1
Beat 'em up - 1

I will get a few honorable mentions down in a bit. These aren't necessarily games #101, 102, etc, but they are among the final batch of cuts that I just wanted to talk about.
KCF can't actually be a real person but he is - greengravy
If you smell what the rock is cooking he's cooking crap - ertyu
(edited 1 month ago)

KCF0107
1 month ago#37
HM: VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action (PC, 2016)
https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/5/1/6/AAN44mAABXxc.jpg

I can stomach visual novel approaches to things like dialogue in adventure or hybrid genre games, but my (limited) experience with pure VNs has just left me wanting my time and money back. Now this isn't a pure VN, but it is pretty close to it. Each day, you do have several segments where you have to do your job bartender, and correctly mixing drinks that your customers want, and that can take some getting used to. Luckily, they give you visual cues before serving the drink to let you know if you succeeded or failed and should try again, and that's important because you need money to pay your rent each month, and you won't get by being terrible at your job.

The bulk of the game is listening to regulars and newcomers talk about all sorts of things going on in their lives and the world. This is very much a slice-of-life story with plenty of characters having their own arcs, including the bartender Jill. The characters sometimes interact with each other, but it is mostly one-on-one conversations. I think my main problem with the genre before was I only tried reading Japanese VNs. I am just not a fan of the characterization, style of writing, and pacing that you tend to see from there. This being a Venezuelan product, I found myself very engaged with the cast and world in a way that I never thought I would from a VN. I'm very much looking forward to the sequel.

User Info: TheKnightOfNee

TheKnightOfNee
1 month ago#38
Naye is bringing back memories of when I also played Pokemon Picross daily for months on end, until I finally got through all the content.

Also, glad to have KCF on here too! Looking forward to some fun choices!
ONLY FIVE CAN LADDER.
Sushi, kamikaze, fujiyama, nippon-ichi...

User Info: WiggumFan267

WiggumFan267
1 month ago#39
hell yeah Pokemon Picross. playing themax per day without having to pay , best
then going back and trying to do them as fast as possible when I ran out
~Wigs~ 3-Time Consecutive Fantasy B8 Baseball Champion
2015 NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPION NEW YORK METS

KCF0107
1 month ago#40
HM: Coffee Talk (XB1, 2020)
https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/5/3/9/AAN44mAABXxz.jpg

Coffee Talk was unquestionably inspired by VA-11 Hall-A, but it firmly stands on its own two feet and depending on the day, I would say it is even the better game!

Coffee Talk takes place in a version of Seattle where common mythological creatures like werewolves and mermaids are anthropmorphized and live amongst the humans. No matter the species, they love to visit your late-night coffee shop. Making beverages is a little involving in this game as you have to pick out the ingredients, and in a specific order. They do provide you with an index of all the drinks once you properly make a particular one for the first time, so if that part of the game isn't your thing, things should go smoother as the game goes along. If you do enjoy making drinks, they even have a challenge mode where they test you on your knowledge in a race against the clock.

Like VA-11 Hall-A, Coffee Talk tells a slice-of-life tale, but there is an overarching aspect. They keep the cast small, but because of that, they allow all of the characters to have the spotlight at times and by having them interact with each other, the character arcs become intertwined. It is rare for me to get so hooked in a narrative game that I can't put it down, but with the quality of writing, brisk pace, and dreamy soundtrack, time just flew by. I finished the six or so hour game in less than two days.
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. The Board 8 Discord Sports Chat Ranks Their Top 100 Respective VIDEO Games pt. 2
  • Post New Message