• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. The Board 8 Discord Sports Chat Ranks Their Top 100 Respective VIDEO Games pt. 2

User Info: Eddv

Eddv
1 month ago#21
61.) Mutant League Football (Genesis, 1993)

https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/1/4/7/AAR9yWAABXrr.jpg
Like Nick, I like my football nice and hyperviolent. Unlike Nick, I see no reason why it needs to involved things like actual humans or to stop at popping testicles.

For these reasons, I prefer Mutant League Football. What is essentially just an ambitious mod of Madden '93 and featuring teams like the Screaming Evils (big green ork parodies of the eagles) or the Turbo Techies (who are literally Cyborgs).

These games were loving 90s horror knock off of the NFL complete with the ability to kill every last member of the opposing team if you were losing by too much to make a legitimate comeback. This could include some particularly brutal tackles or just lining the ball with razor wire and throwing an "accidental" interception that kills their star linebacker.

Some of the fields had mines in them and others if you went out of bounds you simply drifted off into space.
Board 8's Voice of Reason
https://i.imgur.com/AWY4xHy.jpg

User Info: TheKnightOfNee

TheKnightOfNee
1 month ago#22
#67. Lumines (PSP, 2005)

https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/1/8/5/AABebbAABXsR.jpg

I actually don't own Lumines for the PSP (or a PSP at all), but I have a PS2, PS4, and Vita version, and they're all pretty much the same game, so this might as well be Lumines Plus or Electronic Symphony, or whatever.

Lumines is a simple puzzle game, 2x2 blocks of two colors, and just matching colors into square shapes. This game isn't great because of how complicated a puzzle game it is though, but because of how easy it is to just get completely absorbed into the game. Lumines follows the Rez formula of having the music match up with actions. Whether you're on beat or not, you end up being on the beat anyways because you're adding to the song. There's so many good tracks, and it just transitions from one to the next to the next to the next, and you suddenly realize you've just played along with an hour of music. All the colors and block appearances are made to match the style of the music, and it just feels so good to play Lumines.
ONLY FIVE CAN LADDER.
Sushi, kamikaze, fujiyama, nippon-ichi...

User Info: CherryCokes

CherryCokes
1 month ago#23
Eddv posted...
67) Snowboard Kids 2 (N64, 1999)
this game was the peak

The Thighmaster

User Info: WiggumFan267

WiggumFan267
1 month ago#24
time to steal from Naye
#73. Mario Kart 64 (N64, 1997)
I think this game was in my Top 25 like 10 years ago. It's definitely faded a bit with time, as there are definitely more superior and just as fitting entries in the series, but this is the one I'll remember the most fondly, and in-and-out obviously. I never was a big fan of racing games, but the thrall of having Mario characters in it, with colorful and familiar locations, plus being styled as a party game with items was the cincher. I was never really a big fan of the SNES one, I thought the controls weren't good enough, nor any racing game for the SNES really with just a D-Pad. And even then the environments of the levels were boring. Here, the levels themselves were the main attractions. Driving in areas that didn't really actually exist but really felt like they should and that that's what they would look like-a DK level, a Bowser castle level, Wario with his own stadium with his face everywhere, etc. The environments of these levels made them feel like they fit perfectly with that character/their game, or just as an environment in general. Even the non character specific ones, like Frappe Snowland or Banshee Boardwalk feel right in the context of the game. The items made it fun, absolutely would not befun without them, and I think they're a good balance of being just useful enough tohave an impact but not too useless to be pointless. Plus the fact you get worse items while further ahead is good.

Obviously, multiplayer. Grand prix style was always a great time and I continued to play this long with friends after the N64 was falling to the wayside. Probably played more Battle than GP though, great tactics in those modes with friends. The quirk that sticks out the most to me is the fact different levels, especially in this mode, had different GPU speeds, so some levels would run really fast or really slow (hi skyscraper). I think the fact Yoshi's Canyon can't tell you who is in first is related to this too? Anyway, Battle mode is great.

And of course the great "secret" of visiting Peach's castle in royal raceway.

https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/2/0/1/AACyf_AABXsh.jpg

Up next: The only game on my list that has a word that starts with Z that isn't part of a franchise
~Wigs~ 3-Time Consecutive Fantasy B8 Baseball Champion
2015 NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPION NEW YORK METS

User Info: MrSmartGuy

MrSmartGuy
1 month ago#25
#60 - Dark Souls (360, 2011)
https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/2/0/8/AANxMBAABXso.jpg

Back when I was still mainly just following what the internet thought were fun games, out came this notoriously difficult medieval fantasy game that looked pretty rad. I wasn’t sure it was going to be my kind of thing, because I typically don’t enjoy bashing my head against a wall trying to progress in a game, so I decided I’d just rent it instead. I then spent my first 8 hours getting from the tutorial area to Firelink, to the Undead Burg fireplace…… to the ladder shortcut above Undead Burg. Eight hours. I was not having fun. I came very close to giving up and taking the game back.

But something told me to try again. Maybe something about my build sucks, or I’d prefer a different weapon. I started over and chose a Pyromancer instead. 45 minutes later, I was right back where I was after 8 hours my first time through. All of a sudden, I realized that I was getting it. It wasn’t that I suddenly had better gear or something. I was getting better. I rode this momentum through the entire game in a week, and the Dark Souls series had a huge new fan.
Xbox GT/PSN name/Nintendo ID: TatteredUniform
http://www.scuffletown.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/tRBE1.gif

User Info: Bartzyx

Bartzyx
1 month ago#26
#71 — The Walking Dead: Season One (Playstation 3, 2012)

I think most people regard this as the best of Telltale's adventure games. I know that I do. The Walking Dead took Telltale's formula to a new level with a very engaging story and a strong cast of diverse characters who may or may not die based on what you do. Spoilers: they pretty much all die one way or another though. The flow of play is very simple and the focal point is choosing how the player character, Lee, responds to different situations—usually by selecting what he says in conversations.

https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/2/0/9/AAE4GYAABXsp.jpg

What makes this game great is how well-crafted these situations are, and the grim world of The Walking Dead is really the ideal place for this. The tension in the game comes from Lee being forced to make difficult choices where often someone's life will hang in the balance. The classic example from early on is when another character (whose actions come off as somewhat racist) suffers a heart attack, and Lee has to choose between trying to revive him or destroying his brain before he possibly comes back as a zombie. There are many decisions you make that feel very impactful, and credit to the designers for very carefully obscuring which choices actually affect the direction of the story, and those that do not. This does not hold up the more you play through the game, and since Season One I have avoided playing Telltale games more than once to maintain this wonderful illusion.

So the combination of a compelling story, great characters, and a simple but satisfying game flow produced a game that managed to revive my interest in the adventure genre and served as a template for a proliferation of licensed adventure games that came out in the next several years, some of which were also good. But in my eyes none of them were as good as The Walking Dead: Season One.
At least your mother tipped well

TheKnightOfNee
1 month ago#27
Catching up with a couple comments here.

Eddv posted...
68.) Deja Vu (NES, 1990)
A classic text based adventure game and one of my favorites. It came to my attention via slowbeef way back in the day but I ended up stopping my watch through of him playing it, went to ebay, bought the cart and tried the game for myself and to my surprise - while the text has a real edge to it that it makes it easy to make fun of and be amused by the actual central mystery to this game is worthwhile and good!
I definitely watched some of this game and stopped like you did, with the intention of getting it and playing it. But then I never took that next step like you did. I still don't know how most of the game plays out though. One day I will give it a full shot!

Whiskey_Nick posted...
#51. Tetris Effect (PS4, 2018)
If I ever get to play Tetris Effect in VR, I anticipate I'll feel as strongly about it as I did Lumines, maybe even moreso. Someone buy me the VR thing so I can do this!
ONLY FIVE CAN LADDER.

TheKnightOfNee
1 month ago#28
#66. Final Fantasy VII (PS1, 1997)

https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/1/4/9/AAezwvAAA0ht.png

My personal Final Fantasy series ranking has fluctuated all over the place over the years. The only constant has been the top game (which this is not). VII was right up near the top at one point, and then middle of the road at another. It's worked its way back up for me now. I'm sure some of it is the remake hype. I haven't played the remake yet, but seeing all the discussion about VII's storyline gets the memories flowing.

I think the one thing I've really come to appreciate more over time is just the variety FFVII presents. There's all these weird mini-games, like CPR and the parade and squats in the gym and everything in the Gold Saucer. Midgar is a huge memorable opening area that plays out linearly, but then you have your more traditional open RPG world, and multiple vehicles, and other fun areas that are specific to characters in your party. Sure, the game has some typos and the story isn't told in the most clear manner, and I'm not so fond of some characters (Vincent), but other characters are fantastic (Cid, Barret) and after 20+ years I kind of know how the story goes now.
ONLY FIVE CAN LADDER.

User Info: Bartzyx

Bartzyx
1 month ago#29
Off course!

No, way!
At least your mother tipped well

User Info: WiggumFan267

WiggumFan267
1 month ago#30
#72. Zombies Ate My Neighbors (Genesis, 1993)
I never beat this game, but I sure played it a hell of a lot with my friend (who was the owner of this game). We never really got that far, but I sure loved the couple hours or so I could get into this game before not making it further. It was a surprisingly tense experience and really felt like the maximum you could possibly do for a "survival" style game in 1993. No, you don't need to, nor should you, kill every single zombie or you will run out of your better ammo. You gotta save those bazookas and lawnmower s*** and super potions for when you really need them! Strategizing your ammo usage, finding the right paths around each level's maze to save the neighbors around the map (you need to save all of them to get to the next level... unless some die but I think that makes you lose a life? I forgot). The maze-like design of each level worked really well in this game. Adding in a finite amount of keys vs the much larger amount of locked doors or chests containing items made you really consider when and where to use your keys. Good feeling of helplessness as you run around loss, just trying to find that last neighbor, or extra key, or whatever it is you need while holding off the zombie masses as your ammo whittles down.

The Jason-like chainsaw guys really stick out the most in my mind, when you are trying to escape them in that hedge maze level, they can cut through the walls and just kill you super fast and your ammo is pretty goddamn worthless vs them unless you use stronger ammo, but they'll just respawn anyway so RUN FOR IT

The level we'd commonly get stuck on as I recall was the giant baby zombie, which quite frankly the first time that thing absolutely ZIPS BY YOU at LIGHTNING SPEED on screen and you can't really make out quite what you see at first is one of my scariest moments of gaming. Beyond that, we wouldn't get too far after that. I remember the shopping mall level with the Chuckie dolls being difficult, and I think the furthest we got was the ant monster level. Hearts beating with intensity the deeper you get into this game, geez.

Still, fun weapons, great game design befitting of surviving zombies especially for its time, great music, good maze-like level design, and good strategy in your pathing and item management make for an all around great, if not hard game.
https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/2/3/8/AACyf_AABXtG.jpg

Truly a master-class game in goddamn fear and intensity. For 1993!

Oh! And I also wanted to say the style of this game is hilarious. The fact it can be both funny and scary at the same time is fantastic. The levels are laid out in sort of "episodic" format. So each stage starts with a title screen that sounds like a bad ripoff horror movie like "FORTY FEET OF TERROR IN..." "LEVEL EIGHT: TODDLER TERROR",
or "MORE SHOCKING THAN LEVEL FIVE" "LEVEL SIX: PYRAMID OF FEAR". its a great touch

Next up: 🤔🤔😏😃👉
~Wigs~ 3-Time Consecutive Fantasy B8 Baseball Champion
2015 NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPION NEW YORK METS
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. The Board 8 Discord Sports Chat Ranks Their Top 100 Respective VIDEO Games pt. 2
  • Post New Message