• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Post Each Time You Beat a Game: 2021 Edition

User Info: SpoinkRulezz

SpoinkRulezz
1 month ago#191
Bravely Default II (Switch)

Well, that was a game. It took me around 65 hours to do everything. What I liked about it were Chapter 3 and the fact that for once I managed to figure out overpowered Job/Active Ability/Passive Ability combo's by myself instead of happening upon them online, trivialising any remaining Asterisk group rebattles and the final boss. Other than that, overall a very meh game. Story, characters and worldbuilding were mostly bland and very underdeveloped. Weird exclusion of many quality of life elements that made the other two entries so playable. Sidequests were really lame most of the time. I don't know. I enjoyed my time with it, but I wouldn't say it's great, probably the weakest Bravely game for me personally. Game was clearly unfinished in a lot of ways despite being a fairly long experience nevertheless. The towns look pretty though, and some of the music is nice (not any track related to Wiswald though).
Currently playing - Super Mario 3D World (Switch), Octopath Traveler (Switch)
InSIGnificant mesSIGe

SpoinkRulezz
1 month ago#192
Mega Man Zero (Switch)

Beat this in a day. Already beat it before the normal way, but now I beat it again on the Zero/ZX Legacy Collection with save assist on. That definitely helped a lot to make it less tedious, because there is so much trial and error and stuff flying in your screen in attack mode. Boss patterns can be very tricky so with the normal lives system it was quite frustrating. This way it was more fun for me (although I'm sure some people will consider it lame to use save assist). It does kind of make the stages a joke since you have so many checkpoints, but whatever. MMZ at the very least is so much more fun when it comes to boss battles vs. the stages imo that it didn't bother me.

Now onto MMZ2!
Currently playing - Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection (Switch), Super Mario 3D World (Switch), Octopath Traveler (Switch)
InSIGnificant mesSIGe

User Info: FL81

FL81
1 month ago#193
This will be my first time posting here!

Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen (PC)

I've had my eyes on this one for a while now. A few years back I saw one of the later games over at a GameStop, and I nearly grabbed it then because it looked interesting. Turns out, several people here on B8 are pretty big into this series, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Not too long ago, this first entry into the series got released onto Steam, so I figured now would be as good of a time as any.

Overall, I enjoyed it. "Historical" fantasy settings with a lot of political intrigue have always been my thing, and the cast is pretty fun (especially the really cool protagonist and his badass looking mask). The game wasn't without its issues though. The screen resolution is locked in to what it was on console (even though the game is no longer available on PS4) and the camera is set to an awkward angle during the battle portions of the game. The in-game artwork doesn't really know whether it wants to use the original artwork or the updated artwork, so it kinda just switches between the two at random. The game is kind of a weird mix between a tactical RPG and a VN, and I feel like it could've done a better job selling the story if it just stuck to one. It was originally an eroge, but for the re-release they decided to just cut out the 18+ content, but it feels like they just ripped it out haphazardly keeping everything else in tact (although from what I could gather, the cut content wasn't all that great, digging a bit deeper it feels like sort of a Fate/Stay Night situation where removing the H-scenes actually improved the story >_>). The story took a really weird, out-of-place turn at the very end that doesn't really fit all that well with the rest of the story.

I picked this one up because a lot of people compare it and its worldbuilding to the Trails series (another one I've recently played thanks to B8's suggestions). It uhhh, didn't really live up to that level of expectation, but the Sky trilogy is a perfect 10/10 for me. This game is still like a solid 7.5/10 so I'll be picking up the sequel next time it goes on sale on Steam.

Touka is best girl
Thanks to Proofpyros for the sig images
https://i.imgur.com/Nv4Pi1v.jpg https://i.imgur.com/N43HJYv.jpg

User Info: pjbasis

pjbasis
1 month ago#194
Spyro trilogy is all great but 1 is clearly the standout to me.

While I never hated the minigames I find the uninterrupted stream of gameplay in 1 is perfect.
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr345/Rakaputra/B8%20Girls%202012/pjbas.png

User Info: KCF0107

KCF0107
1 month ago#195
Yoku's Island Express (XB1)

Everything about this is great except for the map and to a lesser extent traveling the world. That's a shame too because I would want to go for 100% completion if not for it.
KCF can't actually be a real person but he is - greengravy
If you smell what the rock is cooking he's cooking crap - ertyu

SpoinkRulezz
1 month ago#196
Mega Man Zero 2 (Switch)

Wow, didn't expect to beat this already today, but that's how short it was. Another fine game, but it's barely different from MMZ, in fact it recycles a lot of elements (even bosses and boss weaknesses). Then again, Mega Man games have done this every single time. I do like that it's a little more forgiving (not necessarily easier) and that it's easier to use elves. The stages are also a bit longer than MMZ1's. Final boss was definitely easier though. Overall, it was a fraction better than Z1 (mostly due to the QoL changes), but again, the difference is small. Excited to see what Zero 3 will bring.
Currently playing - Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection (Switch), Super Mario 3D World (Switch), Octopath Traveler (Switch)
InSIGnificant mesSIGe

User Info: Solioxrz362

Solioxrz362
1 month ago#197
Simoun posted...
Nioh: Complete Edition

Did not expect the game to be this long. I don't think I've ever played a more frustrating game that I just kept playing anyway. I was expecting something Dark Soulsy yeah, but there was so much theorycrafting that ultimately it had me mentally stressed as I had to keep track of so many little mechanics the game was tossing my way. I also didn't like the mission based structure of it and would have preferred a consistent persistent world like in DS.

Also, definitely don't play it for the garbage story. It would've been fine but I wish the game was more about yokai hunting rather than the historical reliving of the Sengoku era all over again. It was kind of like enjoying Jojo 1 and 2 then suddenly everyone has a Stand now and you start acquiring them like Megaman powerups. It is a Capcom game after all. Still, this game is pretty much a spiritual successor to not only the Onimusha series (which I just beat recently) but Genji as well.

I *might* go on and play the sequel but I think I'm gonna take a rest from here for awhile.
The sequel is a lot of the same, BUT it's better at everything. The story in the first game is garbage, but great in the second game. The gameplay keeps all the same mechanics, but you get more weapons to play with and a new mechanic where you turn into a Yokai.

I thought the original was like a 7 and the sequel was a 9 despite being largely the same in structure. So take that as you will. I recommend you give the second game a fair shot but definitely give it a while to wash the bad taste of the first game out of your mouth.
Got a brand new blues that I can't explain

User Info: Simoun

Simoun
1 month ago#198
Solioxrz362 posted...
The sequel is a lot of the same, BUT it's better at everything. The story in the first game is garbage, but great in the second game. The gameplay keeps all the same mechanics, but you get more weapons to play with and a new mechanic where you turn into a Yokai.

I thought the original was like a 7 and the sequel was a 9 despite being largely the same in structure. So take that as you will. I recommend you give the second game a fair shot but definitely give it a while to wash the bad taste of the first game out of your mouth.

That's very nice to know. But yeah you're right. This game left me very drained and I need something fun and exploitable that doesn't let me think much about builds or crafting or what have you. Diablo mechanics in a Dark Souls game is a weird unsafe design.
It's not so cliche anymore when it's happening to you.

User Info: Simoun

Simoun
1 month ago#199
Infectornator 3: Apocalypse (Android)

Maybe you'll remember this title from the Flash games of the past. The 3rd one is surprisingly solid as it does not have IAPs for one which is just great. This one improves the visuals a whole lot albeit I do miss the pixelized art style. It throws alot of new mechanics and encourages you to use items more as this time they are easier to refill and easier to use all at once.

The difficulty curve flattens immediately right after the halfway point and while there are many paths towards your ultimate world domination goal, the game forces you to make a beeline towards a lab in some country across the world that's making the cure. The repetitive nature of the game does not lose its flair for a long time as you unlock newer and more kinds of zombies than the last two games combined but it does eventually peter out and you will have to trudge in the last moments of the game as you have to darken every single continent to win.

It's got that fun cannot-put-it-down nature but after finishing it the first time, it leaves a sort of feeling where your zombie girlfriend just ravished you leaving you broken and undone. However if you are an optimization fiend, there are leaderboards for attempting this repetitive exercise in as few days as possible. Fun? Eh.
It's not so cliche anymore when it's happening to you.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: metaIslug

metaIslug
1 month ago#200
pjbasis posted...
Spyro trilogy is all great but 1 is clearly the standout to me.

While I never hated the minigames I find the uninterrupted stream of gameplay in 1 is perfect.

Same. 1>2>3
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Post Each Time You Beat a Game: 2021 Edition
  • Post New Message