• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Post Each Time You Beat a Game: 2021 Edition

User Info: Simoun

Simoun
1 month ago#131
Slay the Spire (PC)

I don't usually stick around for roguelikes like these but the boardgamer in me is drawn to the deckbuilding aspect. I've been playing this game on and off for a year now and only just reached Ascension. Twice.

I think this is a good time to stop and call this game Beat before I get back to it again.
It's not so cliche anymore when it's happening to you.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Underleveled

Underleveled
1 month ago#132
Tomorrow (I guess technically today now) I'm finally going to be adding one of the worst games I've ever beaten to this list. (The fact that I didn't beat it Wednesday and have now had to play several extra hours of stuff I've already done before going to the final boss through little to no fault of my own is getting me frustrated enough that I might just smash the game instead)
darkx
Games beaten in 2021 - 15; Most recent - Horizon: Zero Dawn

User Info: KCF0107

KCF0107
1 month ago#133
Titanfall 2 (XB1)

People kept telling me that this was one of the best FPS campaigns out there. As a result, I found the first half to be disappointing before the game showed a lot more promise in the second half, especially with some level-specific items like the arc tool and time-whatever. It wouldn't make my Top 25 FPS campaigns, but I can understand why someone else would hold it in very high regard.

The multiplayer though is where the game shines. It has a ton of modes, and all that I tried were a lot of fun (Last Titan Standing my favorite). It also had a lot of loadout customization options available at the start. It's how I quickly realized I liked the Spitfire/Charge Rifle combo, which is funny because I never touch the latter in Apex Legends.
KCF can't actually be a real person but he is - greengravy
If you smell what the rock is cooking he's cooking crap - ertyu

User Info: Simoun

Simoun
1 month ago#134
Bulb Boy (PC)

Short disgusting game that uses toilet humor. It was meh. Made me chuckle a few times.
It's not so cliche anymore when it's happening to you.

User Info: ViolentAbacus

ViolentAbacus
1 month ago#135
Gears of War 3 (XBO | Gamepass)

Meh. I'm not a fan of straight shooters, which I've mentioned before, but the changes between 1-3 are really minor between games, so they all felt the same. The main difference in this one being that the enemies were even spongier than usual...
https://backloggery.com/zayakza

User Info: Solioxrz362

Solioxrz362
1 month ago#136
KCF0107 posted...
Titanfall 2 (XB1)

People kept telling me that this was one of the best FPS campaigns out there. As a result, I found the first half to be disappointing before the game showed a lot more promise in the second half, especially with some level-specific items like the arc tool and time-whatever. It wouldn't make my Top 25 FPS campaigns, but I can understand why someone else would hold it in very high regard.

The multiplayer though is where the game shines. It has a ton of modes, and all that I tried were a lot of fun (Last Titan Standing my favorite). It also had a lot of loadout customization options available at the start. It's how I quickly realized I liked the Spitfire/Charge Rifle combo, which is funny because I never touch the latter in Apex Legends.
For me, I didn't think it was the best FPS single player I've ever played, but I appreciated how it felt fresh and fun. It's a little different than the standard FPS campaign, but not too different as to feel unfamiliar. The simple and solid story tied it all together.

The multiplayer definitely is a ton of fun.
Got a brand new blues that I can't explain

Solioxrz362
1 month ago#137
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West (PC)

Disappointing, tbqh. It was good enough to play through the whole thing, but considering I liked Heavenly Sword quite a bit, I was hoping for a bit more. Gameplay wasn't bad, but not very engaging either, and the ending was weak. But it does look good with some good voice acting and the story was enough to make it work until the last scene. The game has unique characters and a good world, but suffers from a lackluster script that leads to weaker character development. It feels forced at times. And Pigsy is bad comic relief.

It's a very mixed bag.

5.5/10
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: KCF0107

KCF0107
1 month ago#138
I think that was a game that I gave you. Sorry that you weren't a fan.
KCF can't actually be a real person but he is - greengravy
If you smell what the rock is cooking he's cooking crap - ertyu

Solioxrz362
1 month ago#139
KCF0107 posted...
I think that was a game that I gave you. Sorry that you weren't a fan.
Yeah, I got it from you. No worries! I'm really glad I got to try it. Even if a game isn't great, I'm always grateful for the opportunity to see for myself on games I'm interested in. So thanks again for that + Republique (which I'll get around to eventually, but maybe not soon).

It wasn't bad or anything, just that I've played a lot of better games and I was hoping for a bit more. If it's below a 5 then I didn't enjoy it. But I did enjoy parts of Enslaved.

User Info: Underleveled

Underleveled
1 month ago#140
Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash (3DS)
Ugh... this one was rough, but I was determined to finally get it out of my backlog after all these years so here comes the rant. I bought this when it came out (primarily for the amiibo that came with it), played through roughly two thirds of the game and honestly I remember kinda liking it. I didn't finish it because, well, I probably got distracted and, despite having gotten better in 2014, am still not that great at finishing games. Fast forward to a few weeks ago when there was a topic asking what the worst spin-offs ever were. This got listed, and I said that I remembered it being fine, and didn't realize it was hated. I finally went back and did a full playthrough and... yeah that "fine" comment does not hold up.

The game is a mess. The controls are awful. Moving Chibi-Robo feels very stiff, but attacking feels very sloppy. You have two different types of lashes that you can use - the whip lash and the zip lash. The whip lash is short and can only be shot out straight forward or at a 45 degree angle upward. So in order to hit anything you're going to be doing a lot of moving and jumping to get it exactly right, because the margin of error it allows is very slim. The zip lash can be build up much longer and has a full 360 degree range, but it takes a long time to charge and the aim is so sensitive that even the slightest tilt will send your cursor way off from where you want it to be. There are times when the whop lash is clearly the better option and the zip lash is literally the only option, but otherwise it's pick your poison. There are a lot of places where you have to be so precise, particularly bouncing the zip lash through narrow areas, and it will take you a lot of trial and error to get it to go exactly where you need it to. It's awful.

There's a mechanic called the Destination Wheel, and it's literally the worst progression mechanic in the history of gaming, I'm not even exaggerating. At the end of every level, you encounter a dumb minigame where you have to hit one of three UFOs. Depending on which UFO you hit, you get one, two, or three chances to spin the Destination Wheel after the level to determine which level you go to next. This is completely pointless and only serves to frustrate you, because you HAVE to complete every level in each world in order to progress to the world boss and ultimately the next world, so there's literally no reason to want to skip levels and thus no reason to ever want to get anything other than a 1 on the Destination Wheel. If you skip a level you have to go all the way around the world board again and will likely end up having to repeat levels you've already done. It's awful. Luckily the wheel is really easy to manipulate and if you're paying attention you can always get it to land on what you want (and if you aren't good you can spend coins to manipulate it further), so all it really is is a humongous waste of time that you have to go through after every. Single. Level.

Which brings me to my next point. The humongous waste of time that you have to go through after every. Single. Level. There is a whole rigmarole that you have to go through after every single level that you can't skip. You can mash the A button through it showing you all your frigging stats of the level, but you can't skip the nearly-identical cutscenes that take place after every level. Then there's the fact that the characters in this game never, ever shut up. And it's not like they have anything important to say. They either ramble on about stuff you should already know if you fail a level, repeat the same stuff before and after every level, or meander on about the most pointless crap that has ever been written into a game. And you can't skip through the text by pressing or holding the A button. You have to watch each and every letter appear and then wait a second or two before pressing the A button to move onto the next useless rant.

And speaking of wasting time, the endgame requires you to buy (with in-game coins) four huge, expensive items to fight the final boss with. There's no reason you should have to spend coins on these items, and it doesn't even make sense canonically. There's no warning that you'll have to use your coins this way at the end of the game, and I only had about 2/3 of the required coins. And I was pretty diligent about collecting every coin I saw, and didn't spend that many going through the game, so this was a huge flaw that meant that I had to go back and find levels that I could actually tolerate replaying in order to get enough coins to finish the game. Just when I thought I was about to finish this piece of crap, I had to, through little fault of my own, spend several extra hours (yes, hours) going back and redoing crap I'd already done. Between this and all the unskippable stupid stuff I mentioned earlier, I'd estimate that this game was at least four hours longer than it needed to be, which I blame for me not having the game to beat nine games again this month.

And now for me to complain about the product placement. Yes, there is product placement in this piece of crap. Mostly second-tier snacks and candy. The kind you've seen at the grocery store but never buy when it's right next to the better brand that's like 5 cents more expensive. Like Utz Potato Chips. And global equivalents. These served no purpose in-game other than to waste time when you found them with a dumb, unskippable cutscene and to be given to creepy dolls that never shut up for coins. It was so stupid and there was no reason for it to ever be in this game.

There's also a minigame that appears on almost every level, and it's usually right out in the open and you'll see it easily along your travels, but in the first level of the game, it's hidden far out of the way, and if you don't activate it in the first level, it'll never activate in any of the other levels, so I went through the entire game (until I went back and replayed the first level for coins) having no idea what the heck this thing was for in every level. The minigame was also stupid and annoying and barely worth the prize.

And you know the worst part about all this? Every now and then, I actually started to have fun playing this game. Crazy, right? I actually got into a bit of a groove, sometimes for a few levels at a time, where I thought there were some pretty decent platforming and puzzles, and started to enjoy myself and think that I hadn't given this game a fair shot, until something stupid came along again that made me realize, nope, it's as bad as I thought. The skateboarding (and other similar vehicular levels) are particularly bad because they are long, challenging, have no checkpoints, and allow very little room for error, which is fine, until you realize that the vehicles themselves are just as difficult to control as anything else in the game, and you have to go through a bunch of crap each time you fail it and try to start again. It's so unbelievably frustrating. All of this makes me sad that there is actually some semblance of a decent 2D platformer here, but the bad stuff is just so excruciatingly awful that it is not worth it at all.

Overall my experience with this game was very negative. It's not the worst game I've ever beaten, but it's probably bottom 5, if not then definitely bottom 10. Given that there are countless much better similar games, many of which are on the 3DS itself, I cannot recommend this game to anyone.
darkx
Games beaten in 2021 - 16; Most recent - Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Post Each Time You Beat a Game: 2021 Edition
  • Post New Message