• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Coronavirus Topic 13: Back to Normal: The Finale: Take 1

User Info: red13n

red13n
1 month ago#241
Yeah most of the world still blows at getting their vaccines out.

Mind you, I'm not sure its so much that and simply that the US Dollar is more reliable and people want our money first.
"First thing that crosses my mind: I didn't get any GameFAQs Karma yesterday." Math Murderer after getting his appendix removed.

User Info: MZero

MZero
1 month ago#242
Japan just started vaccinations last week with 20,000 health workers and 20,000 volunteers to study side effects or whatever. The rest of the health care workers will get it next month, the elderly in April, and people with underlying conditions in May/June. So I'm looking at July at best lol
MZero, to the extreme
I never saw azuarc coming, but he won the Guru!

User Info: charmander6000

charmander6000
1 month ago#243
It also doesn't help that Canada can't manufacture the vaccine as we don't have the capacity to do so.
Congratulations to azuarc for winning the guru challenge

User Info: Kureejii Lea

Kureejii Lea
1 month ago#244
I wonder what Trudeau has been doing the last 12 months in order to secure enough vaccine

charmander6000
1 month ago#245
Kureejii Lea posted...
I wonder what Trudeau has been doing the last 12 months in order to secure enough vaccine

Buying enough vaccines to potentially vaccinate the entire population 5-10 times over (essentially hedging their bets to make sure they have enough even if a bunch of vaccines flop).

We also have contract deadlines for Pfizer and Moderna for end of March, June and September, at which point there will be enough for everyone even if nothing else gets approved (assuming they honor the contract). From the looks of it instead of sending us a steady stream of vaccines they are going to dump everything over the next six weeks.

Kureejii Lea
1 month ago#246
What about the fact that we need 80%~ for herd immunity and the last poll i saw shows roughly 50% of Canadians don’t want the vaccine...

charmander6000
1 month ago#247
Kureejii Lea posted...
What about the fact that we need 80%~ for herd immunity and the last poll i saw shows roughly 50% of Canadians don’t want the vaccine...

According to this poll the ~50% is for people wanting to take the vaccine right away. ~30% more are going to take it eventually so that'll get us to 80%.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/more-canadians-than-ever-willing-to-receive-the-covid-19-vaccine-angus-reid-poll-1.5230633

Not sure what you want the government to do other than rounding up anti-vaxers and forcing them to get the vaccine.
(edited 1 month ago)

Kureejii Lea
1 month ago#248
charmander6000 posted...
According to this poll the ~50% is for people wanting to take the vaccine right away. ~30% more are going to take it eventually so that'll get us to 80%.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/more-canadians-than-ever-willing-to-receive-the-covid-19-vaccine-angus-reid-poll-1.5230633

Not sure what you want the government to do other than rounding up anti-vaxers and forcing them to get the vaccine.

you absolutely can not force people to get a vaccine. I’m not antivax at all but forcing this on people is absolutely not the answer either

i feel like we are going to come to a roadblock where we don’t have enough for herd immunity and the timeline of the initial vaccines is already wearing off anyways

charmander6000
1 month ago#249
It's more likely there will be a yearly coronavirus vaccine, similar to the flu shot than for us to fully eradicate it.

Perhaps it won't be every year, it depends how quickly the virus mutates/how long we remain immune.
Companies could make vaccination a condition to do certain activities (e.g. going to a concert, dining in person at a restaurant) or employers could make it a condition of employment which would get most hesitant people get it (and they should once we’re demand-limited). This is already what’s done to make kids get their vaccines before attending school.

I also don’t think that the government mandating the vaccine would be at all unacceptable. If you can get to herd immunity without doing so it would probably be better not to (and I think we probably can), but if at the end of the day not enough people will get it their unfounded fears should not be prioritized over other peoples’ lives.
Congrats to azuarc, GotD2 Guru champ!
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Coronavirus Topic 13: Back to Normal: The Finale: Take 1
  • Post New Message