• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Exdeath Plays Every Game in the GotD 2020 Contest Part 2 (ft FO:NV, Ghost Trick)

User Info: LinkMarioSamus

LinkMarioSamus
2 months ago#181
The first Portal feels more memorable than the second, not that the second isn't.
Why do people act like the left is the party of social justice crusaders?

User Info: Evillordexdeath

Evillordexdeath
2 months ago#182
God of War 3 begins right where the second game left off, with Kratos and the Titans storming Olympus. At first, it feels a little weird to have such a massive and climactic battle going on while you're fighting early-game mooks in the background, but they solve that issue pretty quickly when you graduate to fighting a giant water-horse summoned by the God Poseidon, and then like six of the damn things alongside Poseidon himself, who becomes the first God to die in this game within about 30 minutes of the game start. Afterward, Zeus knocks both Kratos and Gaia off the mountain, and Gaia refuses to help Kratos because she was only using him as a pawn, in her own words. Kratos winds up back in the underworld and has all his powers from the second game drained away by the souls of the damned, although he gets to keep the Icarus glide move and the reflector shield thing. Athena comes back as a ghost and tells Kratos that she wants Zeus to die now because she has new ghost knowledge about how evil he is. She upgrades his blades of chaos and then sends him on his way. Just ahead, Kratos meets a guy trapped in a wooden cage who says he will give Kratos his bow if he frees him, but instead of that Kratos burns him to death and just takes the bow. I was feeling tired so I stopped just after that.

Gameplay-wise, it's more or less the same as the last two games so far, except you have a few new moves. You can grab and enemy and run around using him as a "battering ram" to hit others with, which I like and find funny. It was definitely cool to see the huge sense of scale and the big draw distance in effect on the Olympus section, even if it was quite visually reminiscent of the climax from Disney's Hercules. The graphics look really good on the whole, and have held up pretty well even after two full console generations between now and the game's release. I'm glad they rolled out that Poseidon boss right away, I hope they keep the boss fights coming.

When I watched the Poseidon fight on Youtube as a kid, I remember I sympathized a lot more with Poseidon than with Kratos. That's still how I felt playing it myself lol. The guy is pretty helpless after a certain point, so you're just watching Kratos brutally kill him with no real resistance. A lot of it is seen from Poseidon's first-person perspective, which I thought was kind of creative.
I'm playing every game from GotD 2020! Games Completed: 17/129
Currently Playing: God of War III
(edited 2 months ago)

Evillordexdeath
2 months ago#183
I got just past the part where Kratos escapes from the Underworld. The fight against Hades was a little disappointing, in comparison to the one with Poseidon. He's just kind of a large man with a chain whip, where Poseidon had a lot of awe-inspiring water powers to show off. He talks a lot about Kratos killing his wife Persephone, which I don't remember. Was that part of the PSP game? Hades has a weapon that can harvest souls from people, which Kratos steals during the fight and uses to capture Hades' own soul. Oops! The underworld goes to Hell and Kratos is free to swim in the river Styx with no problems and use the magical portal out of there and over to the city of Olympia. Helios rides through the skybox on his chariot when Kratos first arrives, so I assume he's getting killed off next.

The whole characterization and conceptualization of Hades probably come off a little worse after last year's game with that title, where he was a much more complicated character and the fact that he and the other Gods can't die was integrated into the overall story. He's kind of just a big angry man who looks like he's dressed for some very hardcore BDSM in this game.

Like I said before, the gameplay is more or less the same as the first two games, including all the weaker parts. The climbing combat is still a joke and the puzzles kind of lack creativity. The gorgon and minotaur enemies look different but they still do all the same things. Although the combat is definitely the best part, I do find myself getting kind of bored with it. Maybe it's similar to other combat-heavy games like ME2 where when not much else besides combat is happening I have trouble getting invested, since some of the encounters can be kind of long.
(edited 2 months ago)
Yep, Persephone is the main villain and final boss of the first PSP game. There was a second one that used the original planned GoWII plot. They also got bundled together on PS3. They were really impressive for PSP games but likely don’t hold up outside it.

I am interested in the discussions that will be had when you get to GoW2018 regarding the characterisation of Kratos.
I just decided to change this sig.
Blaaaaaaargh azuarc

Evillordexdeath
2 months ago#185
Lightning Strikes posted...
Yep, Persephone is the main villain and final boss of the first PSP game. There was a second one that used the original planned GoWII plot. They also got bundled together on PS3. They were really impressive for PSP games but likely don’t hold up outside it.

I am interested in the discussions that will be had when you get to GoW2018 regarding the characterisation of Kratos.

Hmm, yeah, I can see them just seeming like slightly-downgraded versions of a normal God of War game if you went back to them now. It feels a little weird for this game's story to be so "reliant" on side-games a lot of people might have missed, but I guess that's common enough for video games. It's no Kingdom Hearts in this respect, and it's at least pretty easy to understand what's going on without having played those games. I'll be curious too see how I like Kratos in the new version too. From what little I do know about it I think I'll like him better as a character. I've seen a couple of clips from that game where he acts more like an actual person.

---

If I was a bit underwhelmed by what this game does with Hades, that's nothing compared to how it uses Helios. You don't actually fight the guy, really - you shoot one arrow from a ballista at his chariot, a titan crushes him like a fly, and then you run over and finish him off while he's lying wounded on the ground, after he says something about the plot of the PSP games again. This doesn't really do justice to the idea of fighting a God, imo. Kratos tears off Helios' head, which still emits magical light, and then you play a dark level based around using it to see where you're going. It also uncovers secret areas for you sometimes.

Last time I forgot to mention that Kratos also killed Gaia. After he gets out of the underworld she shows up hanging onto a cliff with one wounded hand and he cuts her down so she falls. I guess he's fighting the Titans as well as the Gods now, since the same one who helped him kill Helios tries to crush Kratos when he sees him.

Hermes shows up next. I always liked him when I was reading about Greek Mythology as a kid, although I couldn't really tell you why. He might be my favorite character in these games too so far. He just runs away while saying mean things about Kratos to hurt his feelings. I guess it's nice to see someone who's not just completely serious all the time in these games. I stopped just after his introduction.

User Info: ctesjbuvf

ctesjbuvf
2 months ago#186
Lol I hated Hermes in that game.

Evillordexdeath posted...
I'll be curious too see how I like Kratos in the new version too. From what little I do know about it I think I'll like him better as a character. I've seen a couple of clips from that game where he acts more like an actual person.

Yeah, he's much better, and it's a much better game in every aspect, hard to compare to this trilogy.
Guinness Book of World Records is the name of the diary that belongs to azuarc, the winner of the Game of the Decade II guru contest.
Yeah Helios ties into Chains of Olympus, the first PSP game as well, it is kind of strange how much that one ties in as it seems like a side game on a different system, then later they released Ascension which was nominally a full console release but had nothing to do with anything. And that's not even getting to the Java phone game that was even more of a side thing.

It's also interesting that Chains of Olympus is the first in the series to use non-Greek mythology as the first area concerns itself with some Persian folklore, which is kind of cool.

Also when you're done, I recommend looking up David Jaffe's original GoWIII pitch because it's crazy, though certainly would have precluded the 2018 game if it happened!
I just decided to change this sig.
Blaaaaaaargh azuarc
(edited 2 months ago)

ctesjbuvf
1 month ago#188
I have never played the spin offs. Would like to, they're just not high priority. It didn't bother me in this game because I was never in it for the story anyway.

Well until the 2018 game.
Guinness Book of World Records is the name of the diary that belongs to azuarc, the winner of the Game of the Decade II guru contest.

User Info: Gall

Gall
1 month ago#189
Dragon Age update: soon after officially becoming a Warden, several bad things happen that end up with me and one other Warden having to go off on an adventure all around the land marshalling forces to the cause. So it seems like there's a choice of paths to take at this point, but it doesn't quite work out like that. The first path I tried soon led to me facing a sizable army of skeletons that I just couldn't beat. Eventually I got frustrated enough to look up what I was doing wrong, and it turns out that I had chosen poorly as there's another path that not only has easier fights but, crucially, lets you recruit a healer! So I headed down that path instead and am now finding things more manageable.
Toss a win to your azuarc
O guru of GotD

ctesjbuvf
1 month ago#190
Up
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Exdeath Plays Every Game in the GotD 2020 Contest Part 2 (ft FO:NV, Ghost Trick)
  • Post New Message