• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Exdeath Plays Every Game in the GotD 2020 Contest Part 2 (ft FO:NV, Ghost Trick)

User Info: ctesjbuvf

ctesjbuvf
1 month ago#151
Evillordexdeath posted...
I'm still planning to play it, but I think I will delay it a little bit. Dead Space 2 was a game that I felt obligated to play for the project rather than really wanting to see it through, and it slowed me down as a result, so I don't want to follow that up by immediately going onto another game that I suspect might do the same. I'll play Portal 2 next and then I'll probably do GoW III before I get started on Terraria.

Yeah, that's fair. It's not like the game that you're playing the trilogy because of is coming up anytime soon either, though it makes sense to do them early so it fits in with the era you're currently in. Excited for Portal 2 as well, my personal GotY 2011.
Guinness Book of World Records is the name of the diary that belongs to azuarc, the winner of the Game of the Decade II guru contest.

User Info: Evillordexdeath

Evillordexdeath
1 month ago#152
Lightning Strikes posted...
I will say that I think the first two Dead Space games are excellent.

For what it's worth, I'm not about to argue with anyone who does like Dead Space 2. I think it's a pretty good game, really, but it just didn't quite click for me. You're actually not the first person I've seen make that comparison with the Alien films. When it comes to those, I think I actually like Aliens a little better, so it might be less about the line between horror and action and more about the execution for me. I think one of the most important things about Aliens is that Ripley is pretty cool and I like characters like Newt and Vasquez. That's an interesting point, though, maybe that film wouldn't have worked as well for me if I hadn't seen Alien first. Dead Space 2 didn't leave me too eager to check out the first game, but maybe I'll give it a shot one day.

Yeah, I agree with you, this game feels a little less "safe" than most of what EA puts out these days.

BetrayedTangy posted...
Yeah the pacing is sort of the center of my main issue with it too. I admittedly haven't played many other survival horror games, but it definitely didn't feel like one. Outlast for example never even gives you a weapon.

It seems like denying the player any means of fighting at all is more of a modern trend in survival horror games, since Amnesia and SOMA did that too. The games I have the most experience with in this genre are the first two Silent Hill games and RE4. Silent Hill still gives you guns, but I think the 'feel' of its combat does a better job making your character seem vulnerable and unsuited to fighting, since it has very clumsy controls, which is useful for horror. Dead Space 2 does definitely control more like an action game with a strong main character.

I had the same experience with some of the later sections. I guess this game has a little bit of a problem with enemy variety too, because I felt like it could only escalate the difficulty in the last few chapters by throwing more and more enemies at you, which made some of the fights a bit long and tiresome. I could mostly just spray and pray in a lot of encounters, but to be fair I was exploiting the game's mechanics. I took one look at that hardcore mode and thought "nope, never playing that," but I can see it being a fun challenge for people who really like the game.

I'm playing every game from GotD 2020! Games Completed: 16/129
Currently Playing: Portal 2

ctesjbuvf
1 month ago#153
I ended up getting Arkham Asylum, began on that yesterday beating the first area, so it should be no trouble beating it before you reach City, in fact I'll probably have plenty of time as it doesn't appear to be very long.
Guinness Book of World Records is the name of the diary that belongs to azuarc, the winner of the Game of the Decade II guru contest.

User Info: Gall

Gall
1 month ago#154
Big thanks to Zen for providing a tier list for the contest.
https://tiermaker.com/list/video-games/gamefaqs-game-of-the-decade-2-320611/1065339
As of now, my list contains all the games I’ve already played, ranked from Classic to Trash, as well as all the games I plan to play and all the ones I might play but am not sure about. Unfortunately, the Tiermaker website is kind of a pain to use so I don’t think I’ll be updating it all that often. I’ll just stick to posting each year’s rankings in this thread. Here they are for 2010, along with 3-sentence reviews.

CLASSIC
(none yet)

GREAT
(none yet)

GOOD
Civilization 5: It's a huge timesink, which is both a bad and good thing. Even after just one game on a low difficulty, I was in awe of how many strategic decisions there were to make. I think I did okay at learning the ropes and I’m looking forward to improving over time.
Super Meat Boy: It is difficult, but I find that the quick respawns and short levels help ease the pain. 2D platformers are one of my favorite genres and I like that Meat Boy doesn’t mess around. I give it props as well for being one of the biggest indies at the time and showing there was real success to be had.
Super Mario Galaxy 2: Nintendo basically just threw in a bunch of ideas that didn't fit in Galaxy 1, some of which are good (Cosmic Clones, Flip-Swap Panels), some of which are not (Rock Mushroom, Fluzzard). But still, it's freakin' 3D Mario. Everyone has their personal favorite (3D Land), but none of them are bad.
Starcraft 2: Along with Civ, this opened my eyes to a genre that I hadn’t been interested in before. This one’s much harder to improve at then Civ though, since things can go south so fast. Still, I do want to return to it to work on the higher difficulties and bonus objectives.

OK
Bayonetta: Even though I mostly sucked, dodging an attack into bullet time was always a cool feeling. Along with the difficulty, there’s a few annoying mechanics like the QTEs and vehicle segments that dissuade me from replaying it. I will eventually, but I have to properly psych myself up first.
Red Dead Redemption: It’s filled with filler, both in terms of gameplay and story, but it finished strong. I’m just glad I didn’t actually play it. Marston’s a cool character, I’d probably vote for him over Sackboy.
VVVVVV: I keep forgetting it exists. Certainly doesn't feel "of the decade." It's a one-man passion project with a neat gimmick, so I can't hate on it.

BAD
Fallout New Vegas: Another strength of this game that's hard to immediately appreciate is the freedom of choice. I'm excited to do another run in which I go as evil as possible and punch everyone to death. After that, though, I don't think I'd be very interested in a third run.
Mass Effect 2: I wasn't expecting these two to end up right next to each other, but it does make sense. They each had one thing I really liked: New Vegas's world, Mass Effect's characters. Now, if a transporter accident led to Shepard's squad becoming stranded in the Mojave wasteland, that would be cool.

TRASH
Heavy Rain: Ethan getting tortured, Madison getting assaulted, Shelby lying to the player. These things aren't funny in isolation, but the fact that they keep happening again and again creates a pitiful spectacle, a théâtre de l'absurde. Still, I prefer the laugh-out-loud wackiness of a Beyond Two Souls.
Call of Duty Black Ops: Well, Gary Oldman was fun. But what a waste of a cool framing device. At least it changed the scenery often enough to not get too boring, which is more than I can say for...
Halo Reach: The alien planet setting was generic and lifeless, and the squadmates had little of interest to say before they died. This is the game where I probably missed out on the most by not actually playing it. Even then, the gameplay didn't look that great.

Overall, I would call 2010 an unexciting year. My top 4 are classic genres given a fresh coat of paint: Meat Boy is a retro throwback, Galaxy 2 is more of Galaxy 1, and Civ is Civ. It’s a testament to Blizzard’s commitment to presentation that Starcraft 2 is the one that feels most like a step forward, but still the gameplay isn’t too far off from what you got in 1998. To be clear, I’m not hating on these games – I’m all for refining a proven formula – but for a new decade, it doesn’t feel very new. For AAA, it was a year of growing pains: New Vegas and ME2 have grand ambitions limited by the technology, while Red Dead is basically more GTA4 but with horses. And the indie movement has been steadily gaining steam since 2008 or so, but we’re not quite at the boom yet.

Speaking of 2008, I will now take a brief trip back in time to play Dead Space 1. I've had it and its sequel sitting in my library for a while but never touched them.
Toss a win to your azuarc
O guru of GotD

ctesjbuvf
1 month ago#155
I made one up real quick. I didn't bother finishing the want to play and don't want to play parts by simply filling everything in, so I only put in the ones I'll certainly try and the ones I'll completely uninterested in.

https://tiermaker.com/list/video-games/gamefaqs-game-of-the-decade-2-320611/1079419

Gall
1 month ago#156
Yeah, Rayman's good
O guru of GotD

ctesjbuvf
1 month ago#157
I loved the first two, didn't care as much for the third. Haven't tried any since.

User Info: LinkMarioSamus

LinkMarioSamus
1 month ago#158
Seeing Gall rank New Vegas and ME2 as bad saddens me even if it's fairly understandable. I have lots of attachment to both games just off of watching LPs of them!

Speaking of 2010 games, there's a rant I wanted to go on regarding Metroid: Other M. Although I don't bother defending the game anymore after watching ProtonJon stream through the whole thing last year - the story's an even bigger mess than I remembered! Suffice to say I do NOT think I would like the game if I revisited it.
Why do people act like the left is the party of social justice crusaders?
(edited 1 month ago)

Gall
1 month ago#159
Finished Dead Space 1.

Rumors of this game's slow pace are greatly exaggerated. Within the first hour you're facing two enemies at once, and about halfway through it starts getting ridiculous. I would open a door and be instantly spotted by three enemies, with more on the way. In that situation it's best to back out and funnel them through the door, which will often cause them to straight up bodyblock each other. Kind of spoils the horror.

The dismemberment mechanic was neat, though it lead to some of the enemies feeling more goofy than scary. Specifically, the thin enemies with the giant glowing weakpoint that explodes, which was good for a laugh every time, and the wall-clinging enemy with the tentacles you have to shoot in a cross pattern, which could've been in Skyward Sword. Personally, I'm on board for the sequel just ditching the horror and ramping up the crazy enemy designs. I'll start it soon.
O guru of GotD

User Info: BetrayedTangy

BetrayedTangy
1 month ago#160
Gall posted...
and the wall-clinging enemy with the tentacles you have to shoot in a cross pattern, which could've been in Skyward Sword.

I knew killing those things felt really familiar!
https://www.backloggery.com/betrayedtangerin
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Exdeath Plays Every Game in the GotD 2020 Contest Part 2 (ft FO:NV, Ghost Trick)
  • Post New Message