• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Exdeath Plays Every Game in the GotD 2020 Contest Part 2 (ft FO:NV, Ghost Trick)

User Info: Evillordexdeath

Evillordexdeath
1 month ago#1
Hello again, board 8! Six months ago, I set out on an ambitious project: to play every single game that was featured in the GotD 2020 bracket to completion. Half a year later, I'm still less than 10% of the way done, but at least I haven't given up yet.

In case you missed the first thread, here's the idea:

- I will play every game in the bracket for GotD 2020, in order of North American release date.
- While I reserve the right to quit any game at any time, I will try to finish every single one.
- For games with no well-defined ending, I will play them for two weeks.
- I will play almost every day, and post an update every session.

For my own convenience, here are a few important posts from the last thread:

pjbasis posted...
If you even make it to 20 games this was a resounding success

kateee posted...
i give this a 0% chance this will finish

but tag

These are actually the kinds of posts that give me the most motivation to keep on at this. I guess I appreciate the challenge.

Because I'm a masochist, I've added a few extra games to this task, and those are as follows:

Evillordexdeath posted...
God of War 2 - After Super Meat Boy
God of War 3 - After Dead Space 2
Nier - After Minecraft
Danganronpa 1 - Feb 11, 2014 (After DK Tropical Freeze)
Ground Zeroes - March 18 2014 (After Stick of Truth)
Trials in the Sky - July 29, 2014 (After Shovel Knight)
Dragon Age - Rainy Day Game

And that should be enough recap! Right now I'm in the middle of playing Civilization V, which I'm supposed to be done with on Monday, and then I'll be able to play the games I teased in this topics title and wrap up the year of 2010.
I'm playing every game from GotD 2020! Games Completed: 10/129
Currently Playing: Sid Meier's Civilization V

Evillordexdeath
1 month ago#2
BetrayedTangy posted...
Also I can't stand City-States they feel like filler that just gets in the way half the time. I might try to turn them off in the next game and see how it goes.

Yeah, you definitely have that option and I wouldn't blame you for using it. Getting rid of all city states will kind of remove the world congress gameplay and the Diplomatic Victory as well, but I don't think the game will be harmed too much by that loss.

I think the most annoying part of the City State system for me is managing the quests. It's kind of tedious to try and keep track of them and it's not that uncommon for them to be too out of the way to be practical, which makes it feel like you don't have much control over which City States you ally with. In general, I just ignore the quests and take points for the ones I just happen to do incidentally, and then if needed I bribe city states with gold later on. I've been trying to pay a little more attention to them lately just to optimize my gameplay as I try the highest difficulties. I also don't really like how much of the map real estate ends up being taken up by city-states. I would say that Civ VI improves the system on the whole but I'm still not sure I like it in that game.

I do generally think it's lucky to have a continent to yourself since you can ignore military and put up all the buildings you like, but it's less true on lower difficulties since those make it easier to eat up the AI civs and snowball as a result. You might have completed your domination victory even more easily if some of them had been closer.

User Info: ctesjbuvf

ctesjbuvf
1 month ago#3
Are you archiving the stuff from the other topic?

Also perhaps add the lists of games so people can see the order and show that you also went through the first Mass Effect, Portal and God of War.
Guinness Book of World Records is the name of the diary that belongs to azuarc, the winner of the Game of the Decade II guru contest.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: BetrayedTangy

BetrayedTangy
1 month ago#4
Evillordexdeath posted...
Getting rid of all city states will kind of remove the world congress gameplay and the Diplomatic Victory as well,

Hmm. When I go for the Diplomatic Victory I might try to lower the number of players, but increase the City-States. Essentially forcing me to interact with them more and learning how to handle them properly.

You totally hit the nail on the head about my issues with them as well! As I was going on my conquest, I kept losing track of who was at war with me and who wasn't. Hell at one point I attacked one of them and a nearby one just started helping me as I didn't even realize they had cleared a quest from them.
https://www.backloggery.com/betrayedtangerin

Evillordexdeath
1 month ago#5
ctesjbuvf posted...
Are you archiving the stuff from the other topic?

Also perhaps add the lists of games so people can see the order and show that you also went through the first Mass Effect, Portal and God of War.

Okay, good idea. Tangy made a spreadsheet with the list of games, so I guess I'll just repost that: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gkGULHXG4fDkeOzVPjzMzuzsBRCRZDmIYTtfN30H5Cg/edit#gid=0

As for archiving the topic, I figured I'd leave that up to that site which shall not be named (gameFAQs but with log) for convenience's sake. The previous topics will always be available there if you just search for my name.

Evillordexdeath
1 month ago#6
My second attempt at difficulty 7 as Babylon ended up resulting in a loss at the very end of the game, to Poland's diplomatic victory. They took over every city state in existence, and there was nothing I could do, because they had such an enormous gold stockpile that they could instantly take back any city states I became allies with. If I had made it past the exact World Leader vote on which they won, I might have been able to squeak out a science victory in the following 20 turns, but I had failed to keep up enough to be truly competitive for a long time. I think a big part of it was that my four cities were inefficient. One thing I definitely could've done differently to change that was to wait longer before building the writer's, artist's, and musician's guilds in my cities, which would have sped up their population growth. I also should have fought in some way to secure a source of coal early on, either by conquering city states, stealing land with a great general, or just securing one as allies. Having zero factories for a long portion of the game made it impossible to keep up in production.

It seems like I'll have to do some reading about the game's mechanics and meta strategies if I want to win on the top two difficulties.

BetrayedTangy
1 month ago#7
Game 5: Egypt
Difficulty: King
Map Type: Continents, no City-States, extra civs
Victory Type: Defeat

So I experienced my first loss today. My goal was to get a cultural win with Egypt. Unfortunately China spawned right next to me and had a more militant approach. While I opted for a less cities, they had quickly surrounded me with a lot of cities before declaring war on me. I stood strong for the first half even taking two of her cities. While easily defending my own, however at a certain point she began bouncing back eventually stealing back her cities and forcing me to give her a ton of things for peace.

I started to recover shortly afterwards and was back on track for a cultural victory, but she quickly caught on and filled my land with tanks and helicopters, my capital was gone two turns later. I'm thinking City-States might not be too bad after all

User Info: Gall

Gall
1 month ago#8
I finally had some time recently to play some Civ 5. It's one of many games I've had sitting in my Steam library forever but never gotten around to. Short version: I love it.

Long version: I started off by playing the ingame tutorials, which involved a lot of muddling around as I got used to managing all my units. After that I quickstarted a new game, which gave me difficulty level 2 as the Ottomans, and I was instantly hooked. I was lucky to start near the coast, so I founded my capital of Istanbul and began exploring the continent. I ran into Austria very close to the east, which meant some tensions as we were both settling very close to each other. I ended up settling only one more city (Erdine) a little to the Northwest, which was still pretty close to Austria's capital, but Maria Theresa and I maintained an uneasy trade alliance.

After meeting some neaby city-states and building up my cities for a bit I began building ships and charting the coast. This took longer than I expected since it was a while before I got astronomy and could sail very far, but once I did, the world was my oyster. I sailed around the north and discovered American scouts, and soon formed an alliance with Washington. He would go on to found Protestantism and become the Holy Emperor of America, but he was often in financial trouble and would require some generous donations from my trade-enriched coffers. To the west I discovered Japan and China, the former of which readily became another of my trading partners and the latter of which was more hesitant.

During this time I was focusing on building up my artists with an eye toward the culture victory, but after circumnavigating the globe and discovering Brazil in the far east I found myself head of the World Congress. So I might just go for a diplomatic victory, especially since I missed out on founding a religion of my own. Until then I've been occupied sending my forces all over the world stamping out barbarians to help the city-states.

I can tell that this is much easier than how the game is intended to be played, but I'm still having a lot of fun, and I've always preferred starting off easy and working my way up.
Toss a win to your azuarc
O guru of GotD

Evillordexdeath
1 month ago#9
BetrayedTangy posted...
So I experienced my first loss today.

There's no shame in losing your first difficulty 5 game - it sounds like you did a lot better than I did the first time I attempted it. Once you get past 4, you start to get into difficulties where the AI civs have huge advantages to their science, culture, and production, so you have to be able to play quite efficiently to overcome the power gap they naturally have on you. Unfortunately that's also kind of restrictive in terms of options - the honor and piety tradition trees stop being viable first choices for example. You'll get the hang of it if you keep trying, and in a pinch it always helps to read about the common "meta" strategies.

Gall posted...
I finally had some time recently to play some Civ 5. It's one of many games I've had sitting in my Steam library forever but never gotten around to. Short version: I love it.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! I thought it was funny how you ended up as the Ottomans with Austria nearby. Are you planning to do what the Turks never quite pulled off IRL and take Vienna?

-

As for me, I've been playing Civ V for just over two weeks now, so I started one last game to finish things off:

Game 6
Civ: Russia
Difficulty: 6
Map Type: Pangaea
Game Pace: Quick

Since I'm a Russophile, I decided to end things off with my favorite country. Russia's ability doubles its count of strategic resources and gives it +1 production from Horses, Iron, and Uranium. Depending a bit on luck, this can evaluate to a nice early-game production bonus, and with a lucky start next to a lot of iron and silver I easily became the highest-producing empire in the world, even scoring some early wonders like Hanging Gardens, Temple of Artemis, and Statue of Zeus. They also get a unique replacement for the Cavalry unit that's better at taking down weakened units and the Krepost, which is a Barracks that speeds the rate at which your cities acquire new tiles.

My plan was to shoot for the Domination victory, but I spent the early-game building up my cities and preparing. I met some of Russia's historical rivals like America, France, and Japan, as well as the Maya and Morocco. I was friendly with most of these until America got annoyed with me for extorting gold from city-states and settling too close to them, but this was measured because I wanted to knock them out soon anyway, and once I had the Longswordsman, Crossbowman, and Trebuchet units I declared war on the USA, which had the largest army in the world and access to their unique minuteman unit. It was slow going because my mainly trebuchet army took a lot of concentrated fire to bring down this special unit, but I eventually broke through and took Washington by employing a very Russian strategy: showing no regard whatsoever for the lives of my soldiers.

I stopped there, but with the strongest empire out of the way, a huge army, and snowball potential from all their wonders (including the ever-important Notre Dame) it would have been easy enough to take down everyone else.

Final Thoughts on Civ V coming up.

BetrayedTangy
1 month ago#10
Oh damn has it really been two weeks already? I feel like I'm finally starting to understand the game lol.

Quick Update from me, I had actually tried King 3 more times. First was a reattempt with Egypt, followed by the Aztecs and finally with Russia. I felt like I was doing much better on Egypt Round 2, but after fending off The Ottomans, China declared war on me, while the Ottomans rebuilt their army resulting in a swift loss. My run as Montezuma was even worse, my spawn wasn't great and Elizabeth got war hungry pretty quick so I just called it and did some research. Leading to a nearly successful run as Russia. This time I spent more time choosing good city locations as well as building my army. Thankfully it paid off because I was able to easily fend off Rome and Mongolia. However since I feared retaliation I continued to focus on my army, which was a mistake. Because meanwhile Songhai and Germany were rapidly building their Tech. I quickly put a huge focus on Science but it wasn't enough and I lost shortly after building the Apollo Program, but having done more research I'm ready to give Russia another go.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Exdeath Plays Every Game in the GotD 2020 Contest Part 2 (ft FO:NV, Ghost Trick)
  • Post New Message