• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Tompic 10: Killing the Farming Business

User Info: Dark Silvergun

Dark Silvergun
5 months ago#11
I shall be replacing my hard drive in my PS3, since the original one is almost dead.

Right now, my PS3 can't really do anything, since the hard drive freezes, crashes, and loads abysmally slow.

It lasted 10 years. A decade is actually a reasonable lifespan for 1 hard drive. The actual PS3 hardware outside of the hard drive is actually in great shape otherwise.

On the plus side, I'm getting one that's double the size of the original. The original installed one had a capacity of 250 GB, and the new one will have 500 GB, and with my experience, the extra +250 GB will be more than enough extra space to work with.
Warning, the self-destruct system has been activated, all personnel should evacuate immediately, 5 minutes to detonation.

User Info: Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil
5 months ago#12
ooh nice!

BTE 79-81: oh hey there's a new Masa! And....Flip turns face lol.

I have acquired Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart. I feel like I have reached some kind of turning point- who knew all I ever really wanted was to drive blue Hatsune Miku around the Midnight Channel from P3?

https://imgtc.com/i/uWMMlnN.png
Radiant wings as the skies rejoice, arise, and illuminate the morn.

Dark Silvergun
5 months ago#13
Thanks Tom!

I ordered the Hard Drive the other day, and I should get it about Tuesday~ish, considering that the COVID-19 situation has caused shipping times to fluctuate wildly, so what is expected delivery can fall off track without notice. Until then, we shall see.

As for getting the hard drive out of the system, it wasn't all that hard to do. I have a PS3 Slim model, and after removing all of the power/video cords, the removal process was this:

#1 Flip the console upside down.
#2 Near the front of the console, there is a small access panel in the middle, popping that open reveals a single screw, removing that screw allows for the removal of a small panel located underneath the disc drive slot in the front of the console.
#3 Inside that enclosure, there is a metal caddy that has a metal fold down handle, and with that, the caddy holding the hard drive can be slid right out.
#4 After that, there's 4 small screws that have to be removed from the bottom of the caddy, and this allows for the hard drive to be separated from the drive holder caddy.

Before this though, I went ahead and backed up all of my save data that I could. I even backed up my *copy protected* files by getting a short term subscription to the Playstation Plus*. This seems to be the only way to back up those type of files.

*I've never used PS+ before, but the backup system gave me 1024 MB of space for save files. When I was finished, the total save data on my PS3 totaled right around 700 MB.
Warning, the self-destruct system has been activated, all personnel should evacuate immediately, 5 minutes to detonation.
(edited 5 months ago)

Dark Silvergun
5 months ago#14
So, the shipment info on my Hard Drive is a confusing one, it's been switching between delayed and shipped out all in the same day. Maybe it will be arriving soon? Either way, it's coming "eventually". The COVID stuff has really caused some strange stuff to happen.

Dark Silvergun
5 months ago#15
Well, I got a confirmation as to when my hard drive is arriving, and it looks like it got delayed all the way to June 29. Oh well.

Dark Silvergun
5 months ago#16
Hot out today. Right around 94°F. Doesn't make you want to do much.

Dark Silvergun
5 months ago#17
So, interestingly enough, I was at GameXchange today looking for a Sega Dreamcast VMU [Virtual Memory Unit for save files], and the guy working there mentioned they had new ones, since there is a company that makes reproductions of the VMU's. They were only $12.99, so I took a chance on one. From what I can tell, it works perfectly fine. The one available had a clear green casing, and it was packaged the exact same way as a new from 20 years ago, in the box with the instruction page and the set of two CR2032 batteries inside the unit.

Since I have another of the original clear one's, comparing the two, they look identical, and you can barely tell it's a reproduction model. The batteries inside aren't necessary unless you intend to run one of the mini games directly on the VMU, so I just took them out, otherwise, the VMU will drain those batteries on it's own.

Dark Silvergun
5 months ago#18
Oh yeah, and on the subject of Dreamcast, I've been playing through Skies of Arcadia [I'll shorten that to SOA].

SOA: Over the last few days is when I began. So far, the following objectives are complete at 5 hours in:

#1 Opening mini dungeon on the Imperial Airship and defeating the boss Antonio the War Beast. A very basic and straight forward area, and the boss is very limited in it's danger to your party, but, like most RPG's, the opening section is rarely difficult.

#2 Shrine Island Dungeon and defeating the boss Sentinel. The first proper dungeon in the game. The length feels just about right without dragging on for too long. The boss has one powerful attack, but it's delay really weakens it, since every other turn, it performs a *Target Search*, which for all intents and purposes amounts to a free turn without worry of taking damage.

#3 First ship battle against Baltor the Black Pirate's Blackbeard Airship. Since this is the first one, it's extremely basic, and only a few cannon blasts puts this down, so, it only lasted three turn cycles before achieving victory. I didn't even have to repair the ship once before winning.

#4 The Valua Empire. This is a fairly long set piece with multiple bosses. So far, I'm passed the main dungeon along with the two bosses that are almost back to back. You have the option to go back and recover before moving on to the second boss thankfully. The first boss, which I don't remember the name of, is a giant blob like creature that can potentially poison your party. Despite numerous poison attacks, I somehow avoided the poison status here. RNG favored me for some reason, making things easier. The second boss is a tough one, perhaps maybe the hardest boss for quite a long time in the game, the Executioner. It has a special that can hit in a line [meaning mulitple targets], and it dishes out massive damage for this point in the game. RNG comes into play here, as the boss can either spam it, or use one of it's lesser attacks. This is a boss you will die to if you are not careful. It doesn't help that two accompanying Spell Wardens can attack and ultimately buff the main boss for extra damage. Painful.

User Info: Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil
5 months ago#19
I gotta play that one one of these days

Tom Bombadil posted...
"Western show" slot: Being the Elite
What's next: That's far enough in the future I haven't even thought about it

Tom Bombadil posted...
Pro wrestling slot: CHIKARA
What's next: Theoretically this could keep going until I'm dead.

I haven't made the official call yet but more likely than not this is some quality r/agedlikemilk fodder
https://imgtc.com/i/uWMMlnN.png
Radiant wings as the skies rejoice, arise, and illuminate the morn.

Dark Silvergun
5 months ago#20
Skies of Arcadia is a pretty interesting game. Sad to see it not make enough of a splash to warrant a sequel of any sort. Strange that Sega hasn't decided to re-release the game on one of the current sets of systems or even a PC version. Maybe they will decide to do that in the future? As for now, Dreamcast and Gamecube are the only releases. There actually was a PS2 consideration at one point, but Sega opted to cancel that one.

As for more progress on my run:

SOA: #4 Continuing from where I left off, the end half has a very linear set of objectives. Run across a speeding rail car [what RPG doesn't have one of these sequences, right?] while fighting a couple of fixed encounters with a boss at the end. Here, you fight two elite guards, and, the main difficulty is actually killing them more than worrying about dying. Their attack power is not really all that robust, it's the constant healing back and forth between the two of them that prolongs this fight. As for the final segment, this involves a Ship Battle versus a Valuan Cruiser. The fight is over as soon as you are able to fire your ship's newly acquired Special Cannon, which obliterates all of it's health in one shot. This ship battle might as well be labeled a S. Cannon tutorial fight!

As for enemies in these first 4 sections, not too much stands out, a few of them have the occasional *power attack*, but if you do a bit of routine leveling, things will go smoothly here.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Tompic 10: Killing the Farming Business
  • Post New Message