• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Gauging interest in a Fire Emblem ranking topic

User Info: MalcolmMasher

MalcolmMasher
1 month ago#21
He holds onto Falchion supposedly for leverage against Medeus but then tries to kill Marth, AKA the only person that can actually use Falchion?

In his defense, Gharnef has Elice imprisoned and knows where to find Aum. He does not need to keep Marth alive in order to maintain him as a potential threat.

Edit: For the record I'm pretty sure that the Kitsune Lair pattern is just "enemies alternate every turn".
I don't like this duchy. Now, it's an adventurer.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Panthera

Panthera
1 month ago#22
MalcolmMasher posted...
He holds onto Falchion supposedly for leverage against Medeus but then tries to kill Marth, AKA the only person that can actually use Falchion?

In his defense, Gharnef has Elice imprisoned and knows where to find Aum. He does not need to keep Marth alive in order to maintain him as a potential threat.

I mean, maybe, but killing Marth and then reviving him after directly explaining his plans to the guy seems a rather dubious strategy, especially considering this is a guy established in universe to have some sort of weirdo hypnosis mind control powers that pop up for one chapter.
Meow!

User Info: Kenri

Kenri
1 month ago#23
Panthera posted...
he's literally invincible but apparently wanted Marth to kill off potential threats to him instead of doing it himself?
To be fair in New Mystery he gets completely embarrassed by Michalis so maybe the Marth plan was justified.

Panthera posted...
The games he appears in are light enough on story for it to not really matter much but he really feels more like a plot device that just kind of does whatever generic evil deed is necessary for any given scene to work than an actual character.
100% true but I give him a lot of credit for being an intimidating villain at least. The rest of the scheming evil wizards that followed just come off as cowardly little snakes that are harder to track down than to kill. Gharnef is actually a really big threat and him showing up before you have Starlight is a definite "oh s***" moment.

And then the thing I spoilered tagged happens and it takes some of that respect away, but oh well.
Congrats to BKSheikah, who knows more about years than anyone else.

Panthera
1 month ago#24
I'll never quite get that bit you spoiled. Dude. Gharnef. You have Imhulu. You are LITERALLY INVINCIBLE. How do you not just b****slap anyone that looks at you funny? I can understand Medeus being a threat, it takes the entire Fire Emblem to seal the Earth Dragons and even that doesn't outright banish Medeus on its own, and Imhulu is only made from the Darksphere which is 1/5th of the Fire Emblem, so Medeus being too much for Imhulu makes sense, but why did you ever need to worry about Camus and Michalis? Shouldn't you have been, I don't know, trying to kill off Merric or Linde or Wendell or something...?
Meow!

Panthera
1 month ago#25
It just became a new day, so what better way to start it than to rank something good?

The Good Stuff

20. Sacred Stones Chapter 19 - Last Hope

Starting off the list with a bit of an odd choice. I normally find defense maps to be very hit and miss because while in theory they can be dramatic and exciting and all, in practice they often devolve into just sitting around being bored while nothing happens (a certain defense chapter I used to love nearly made the dishonourable mentions for this very reason...). I think this one pulls it off nicely for a few reasons though, most notably the fact that you don't actually have to defend much if you don't want to.

Last Hope is a fog of war map, which usually is not a good thing in my mind, but it appears late enough in the game for you to have plenty of durable units that don't need to fear the darkness, and plenty of staff users to Torch things up to help you see, so it ends up working out. You can't see everything coming long in advance, but you can usually see the things that you need to worry about on any given turn, making the darkness more of a tension building atmospheric touch than the nuisance it usually is. You've got a ton of treasure chests to potentially collect as well, encouraging you to spread out the rather huge number of units you're allowed to deploy here. I believe there's also some brave weapons droppable by enemies here, though I'm not sure because I usually don't stick around long on this map.

Oh, right. This Defend/Survive map? Yeah it ends if you kill the boss. Riev is...uh...some generic bad guy? I've played this game like five times and honestly I still don't know why he's evil beyond that he's angry he got excommunicated for being evil or something like that. Whatever. Point is, he's hanging out just outside the southern doors and if you cut a path through the enemies or use the always potent Warp staff, you can take him out and bring a swift end to the map. Sounds anti-climatic, but honestly I love stuff like this as long as it's not totally trivial (like Shadow Dragon/Thracia infinite range Warp letting you warp skip on turn 1 with zero effort). You can stick around and play out the big epic siege, and it's pretty fun because unlike most Sacred Stones maps, the enemies here are actually strong enough to put up a fight, and you do have dudes coming at you from every angle. Or you can just peace out as soon as you've got what you need from the chests.

Speaking of the chests, it's pretty funny to have a bunch of them (and a secret shop!) in one of the absolute last chapters of the game. I imagine they probably tempt a lot of people into going for them no matter what, but in practice I don't find you get anything necessary from them. Even the Speedwing is largely superfluous at a time when your team is already strong enough for endgame. It's always fun to collect treasure, sure, but sometimes it's not even needed, and this map I think is really the one that made me start thinking of collecting items in terms of whether I really want them instead of just "it exists, must have!" like I used to. When you decide you're going to just warp-kill Riev within the first three turns, you have no choice but to ditch some stuff. I think the fact that this is the first map I ever really tried to approach from a standpoint of "how can I complete this as quickly as possible while grabbing only stuff that doesn't cost me?" might be part of why I like it so much. I don't always play fast by any means, nor am I super good at it or anything like that, but I think learning to start appreciating faster strategies has been important to my ability to enjoy Fire Emblem as much as I do.

All in all, a pretty fun map that you can play slow or fast and have it be good either way.

Up next: We start off the bad side of the list with a map from maybe my favourite game in the series that always makes me say "God damn can I get through this s*** already?!"
Meow!

User Info: Hbthebattle

Hbthebattle
1 month ago#26
The problem with most defend maps is that normally they are really easy to either end immediately like this one or Elincia's Gambit, or you end up doing a load of nothing for 10 turns like in many FE7 maps
Patience.

User Info: Kenri

Kenri
1 month ago#27
Good choice on Last Hope. I always have fun trying to cut a swathe through the flood of enemies to Riev on the last couple turns.

Panthera posted...
Up next: We start off the bad side of the list with a map from maybe my favourite game in the series that always makes me say "God damn can I get through this s*** already?!"
Gotta be FE4 Spirit Forest.
Congrats to BKSheikah, who knows more about years than anyone else.

User Info: Raka_Putra

Raka_Putra
1 month ago#28
Hmm I don't know how hard would it be, but adding a picture of the ranked map might be a nice addition to jog up our memories.
Into the woods, but mind the past...
Into the woods, but mind the future!

User Info: Mewtwo59

Mewtwo59
1 month ago#29
Kenri posted...

Panthera posted...
Gotta be FE4 Spirit Forest.

Yeah, either that or Crisis in Agustria.
""Love" is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope." HK-47

Panthera
1 month ago#30
Hbthebattle posted...
The problem with most defend maps is that normally they are really easy to either end immediately like this one or Elincia's Gambit, or you end up doing a load of nothing for 10 turns like in many FE7 maps

This is a message from Lord Nergal. "When you kill me, you'll be very bored". This is a message from Lord Nergal. "When you kill me, you'll be very bored". This is a message from Lord Nergal...

Raka_Putra posted...
Hmm I don't know how hard would it be, but adding a picture of the ranked map might be a nice addition to jog up our memories.

You know I actually planned on this, then the first picture of Last Hope I tried didn't upload to GameFAQs properly so I gave up <_< I guess I will make an effort to actually get it right from now on! At the very least I can probably find a link even if GameFAQs doesn't want to embed it for whatever reason.

Speaking of

https://ibb.co/PcFXdhc

Mewtwo59 posted...
Yeah, either that or Crisis in Agustria.

I've always found the Great Augustrian Backtracking to be less of a slog than most people seem to.
Meow!
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Gauging interest in a Fire Emblem ranking topic
  • Post New Message