• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Gauging interest in a Fire Emblem ranking topic

User Info: Panthera

Panthera
4 weeks ago#121
Oh right, it has. I forgot about that
Meow!

User Info: Mewtwo59

Mewtwo59
4 weeks ago#122
The way you say "final" makes me think it actually isn't the final battle, so I'm going to guess Doorway to Destiny.
""Love" is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope." HK-47

Panthera
4 weeks ago#123
Mewtwo59 posted...
The way you say "final" makes me think it actually isn't the final battle, so I'm going to guess Doorway to Destiny.

Everything about this one other than gameplay is damn good, but gameplay wise it's not quite good enough to make the list
Meow!

User Info: Kenri

Kenri
4 weeks ago#124
Hbthebattle posted...
FE4 final’s been referenced...
Mewtwo59 posted...
FE10 2-E is another possibility that fits both clues. Good map, too.
Congrats to BKSheikah, who knows more about years than anyone else.

Panthera
4 weeks ago#125
Kenri posted...
FE10 2-E is another possibility that fits both clues. Good map, too.

It does indeed fit

The Good

5. Radiant Dawn 2-E - Elincia's Gambit

I unfortunately cannot find a half-decent picture for this one

By this point it's probably pretty clear that I like defense maps that can be wrapped up early if you put some thought in to them. So naturally I'm going to be a big fan of the grand finale of Radiant Dawn's second part, where a rag tag crew of broken units, temporarily overpowered units, bad units, support units, beorc units, laguz units and probably more that I'm forgetting team up to show a disappointingly bland antagonist why picking a fight with some of the people that had to level up to win the last game is a bad idea by nuking him when the time is right.

Okay okay it's not quite that simple. To kill Ludveck is not the hardest thing ever, requiring you only to clear a path so you can bait him into attacking up a ledge so Haar and Elincia can wreck him, but you probably don't want to do that when there's a droppable energy drop on the map and a stealable dracoshield near him. The Great Dracoshield Heist can be a fair bit more complicated, requiring you to set up a rescue drop of Heather down the ledge then refreshing her with Leanne (god canto dancer is so much fun) on top of the usual Ludveck killing strats since Heather tends to find herself pondering existential issues like "am I going to live?" if left alone down there.

Of course, if you're not a fan of ending things early you can always take the opportunity to actually defend on a defend map, which is also good. This map probably makes the best use of Radiant Dawn's often superfluous ledge mechanics, allowing you to rain death on enemies below but also interfering with the freedom of your non-flying units to move around. Played this way, you get the rare opportunity of feeling like the enemy in a typical Fire Emblem castle map, occupying a good defensive position and making it hard for the opponent to advance. Except hopefully you're a lot more competent at it than the enemies usually are. Especially since you have god mode Haar, and the one opportunity you ever get without grinding in either game for Elincia to actually wreck things. There's just enough crossbows on the map to make her mortal and force caution, but not to the point that you can't actually have some fun with your infinite use durability boosting brave sword (!) for a change.

If you wait long enough the fight also moves to another front as Geoffrey brings his buddies to help out. They're pretty out of the way and unlikely to do much (and most of them are kind of questionable anyway) but hey, does help make things feel a little bigger in scale. You know, in case you needed them to in a map that already requires you to keep track of a variety of different approach options for enemies and do it all with only one true healer (albeit with NPC help) who is also one of your best combat units. While also keeping track of the always finicky laguz gauge on multiple units. Lot going on here to begin with!

All in all a fight that can be an assassination mission, a tricky item acquisition + boss kill affair or a drawn out endurance test, depending on what you feel like playing it as, and it's a good time regardless of which you choose.

Up next: The best defense is a good offense (I think I'm running out of ways to describe maps that in some way involve defending...)
Meow!

User Info: Hbthebattle

Hbthebattle
4 weeks ago#126
Conquest 10, maybe?
Patience.

Panthera
4 weeks ago#127
Hbthebattle posted...
Conquest 10, maybe?

I've been expecting someone to guess this a lot of the times I've hinted at a defense map. But it never happened until now, when it's actually the correct answer.

The Good

4. Fire Emblem Fates Conquest Chapter 10 - Unhappy Reunion

Yet another map that I sadly can't find a good picture for. If you've played Conquest or even heard people talk about it you probably know it though.

From pretty much the moment Fates came out, this map became a fan favourite, and for good reason. A defense map that dodges all the typical pitfalls of defense map by heavily discouraging an overly cautious approach, as you're called on to dodge a line of tiles too long to easily body block, the enemies approach from all over the place and there are sky knights who will flat out ignore attacking any unit they can't do huge damage to in favour of just charging the green line, leading to you getting swiftly swarmed and defeated if you try to sit back. Instead, your best hope of success is to push out aggressively and start engaging enemies as fast as possible, either killing them or softening them enough that you can afford to back off and still be able to finish them off later.

The enemy composition is mixed, with axe (or club, I guess) users, bow users and ninjas making up the bulk of the enemy force (and those ninja debuffs and poison strike can really take their toll), with spear fighters and sky knights joining is as the reinforcements start to show up, along with a pair of mini bosses that are a challenge for most of your units to tackle. On difficulties above normal you'll also have to contend with some of the club guys having Lunge to yoink you out of position, giving you yet another threat that's dangerous not to address on player phase. There's also the boss of the map, Takumi, who can be defeated to prevent an event later in the map, but you have to rush like crazy to get down there and he's no slouch, hitting hard and packing Close Counter to ignore the usual archer weakness. And while you're at it, there's four houses to visit, and they give some very valuable stuff that you will absolutely want.

This map can be chaotic and stressful, and even the turn 3 arrival of broken Camilla and her friends isn't enough to solve all problems, as the size of the map is beyond what Camilla can cover on her own and she'll often have to dedicate herself to picking off sky knights as they fly to places only she can easily follow. You have some siege weapons to play with, but you likely won't get as much mileage out of them as you will fighting more conventionally. Since the map requires you to split up, you have to make every move count with the small group in each area, capitalizing on the games unique dual strike mechanics at times, abusing guard stance for the stat boosts to handle an enemy phase at others. Then to top it off, towards the end of the map if Takumi is still alive, he'll use a Dragon Vein to drain away the water, creating a ton of open space on the sides for enemies to slip through and creating a mad scramble to adjust if you weren't ready for it.

Unhappy Reunion ends up being one of the tougher maps in Conquest, and also easily the best. The one slight complaint I have with it is that the AI is sometimes too smart for the game's good. Enemies other than the sky knights will also sometimes not attack if they can't do (enough) damage, ruining enemy phase plans that would have worked fine if, say, a unit hadn't gotten a defense level up the previous chapter. Things like this are why "smart" AI in Fire Emblem is actually not a good idea. The games are built around certain "dumb" tactics by enemies being exploitable, namely their willingness to die on enemy phase rather than do nothing but get in the way and create checkmate scenarios for your squishy units on the next turn.

But I digress. With how many ways of adjusting your stats Fates allows you can work around this issue if you need to, or find a more player phase oriented approach for the specific problem. You can get some impressive value out of Nosferatu here, a tome that often gets underrated in this game, or do some wild early promotion shenanigans on a character like Nyx specifically to cover one particular part of the map. There's all kinds of stuff you can do, and this map expects you to make use of at least some of it if you're going to get through in one piece.

Up next: Getting frustrated just thinking about an entry that will focus on one chapter but also comment a little on some others. I don't want to give too much away, but it's got a gimmick that may not have been the best idea ever.
Meow!

User Info: Mewtwo59

Mewtwo59
4 weeks ago#128
Is it time for Mr. Fuga's Wild Ride?
""Love" is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope." HK-47

User Info: Hbthebattle

Hbthebattle
4 weeks ago#129
Is it the Snow Shoveling map, finally?
Patience.

Panthera
4 weeks ago#130
I did refer to it as an absolute atrocity earlier. It was always going to show up near the bottom of this list.

The Bad

2. Fire Emblem Fates Revelation Chapter 10 - Voice of a God (and Revelation gimmicks in general)

Just noting, I'm exempting the Conquest version of Fuga's Wild Ride from this. It's not great, but it's late enough in the game that you have plenty of options for handling its windy ways to make it decent. The Revelation version, on the other hand, can be stuck in here since it's too early for you to have the tools that it feels balanced around you having.

Once again I can't find a good picture, but don't worry. Just imagine shoveling your driveway. Imagine you've been away for a while, and while you were gone it warmed up and all the snow started to melt, but then a sudden cold snap froze all that water, and then a snow storm happened. Now you come home and you have a few inches of snow on top of a sheet of solid ice. You can barely keep your footing to shovel the snow, and it's that wet kind of snow that feels extra heavy. If you live in a place with real winters you know what I mean. Even once the snow is gone, you still need to get something heavier than just a shovel to start breaking up all the god damn ice. Now imagine you're doing all of this with a bad back. And while suffering from the flu.

What does this have to do with Fire Emblem? Sorry, got confused. I thought this was the "list things more enjoyable than playing Voice of a God" topic.

While Conquest's chapter 10 was an instant classic and Birthright's chapter 10 is fairly unremarkable beyond being tougher than most Birthright maps, Revelation decides to use chapter 10 to serve up one of the most detestably awful gimmicks ever seen in a video game. The map is covered in snow. You walk up to the snow and attack it to clear some of it away to reveal a bit more of the map. Repeat. Again. And again. And again. Forever. You only clear a few tiles at once, and while this map may not be Genealogy sized it's still not super small by any means. There's a few enemies scattered throughout but as long as you're careful they'll never threaten you. You just have to keep some units in reserve just in case. Meaning you're cleaning out the snow a bit slower. What fun.

That already basically sums up the entire chapter but let's be real, it deserves more than just two paragraphs worth of b****ing. This is one of the absolute dumbest f***ing things I've ever seen in a game. It exists solely to make the map play out as slowly and tediously as possible, with as little room for fun as possible. Interesting enemy formations? Nope, snow. Multiple objectives to tackle at once? Nope, snow. Any sort of time pressure? Nope, snow. Literally anything that could ever be conceived as fun? Nope, god damn f***ing snow. I have no idea how this even came to exist. How the hell did multiple people look at this map and decide it was worth putting in a game that they were going to charge people money for? Did some higher up in the company let his 8 year old son design a map and have too much seniority for anyone else to overrule him? It doesn't even pretend to be trying to be enjoyable. Technically you could call it creative, but only in the sense that no one else has ever been dumb enough to think this kind of thing was a good idea. What the hell were they thinking?

While Voice of a God is undoubtedly the biggest offender, Revelation is full of dumb gimmicks. So many maps are built around dragging things out tediously just for the sake of making them take longer. There's the map where enemies promote and unpromote, which is kind of funny but the gimmick alone isn't enough and the map is vastly oversized for what it offers. There's the boat map where you stand around doing very little until the game arbitrarily opens a path. There's a boring stealth map that I liked more when it was in Path of Radiance, and I didn't really like it there either (I may have used this joke before...). Some are inoffensive and the one where you clone your army, while less interesting than the Conquest version, is still executed well and just a very clever concept, but by and large the gimmicks in this game offer nothing of value and are usually outright detrimental. Revelation is ass and the idea that there exists a map that surpasses even the absolute worst it has to offer is enough to almost cause physical pain.

Up next: The top three begins! It's back to basics as we visit one of the hardest maps in one of the harder games the series has to offer.
Meow!
(edited 4 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Gauging interest in a Fire Emblem ranking topic
  • Post New Message