• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. my top 32 tabletop games

User Info: cyko

cyko
1 month ago#81
Trains, Clank, Quest for El Dorado and Legendary (as a full co-op) are all really good deck builders. But I'm not sure any of them are quite as good as Dominion - especially Dominion with Intrigue and/or Prosperity. (Dominion Alchemy is Garbage, though. Burn it and bury it in the back yard.)

Side note - I finally got to play Ascending Empires last night after owning it for 2.5 years. It was a ton of fun. For those who don't know this one, it's a somewhat simple 4X game that is unique because you move your ships by actually flicking/ hitting them to send them flying across the board (ala Crokinole or Pitchcar). It moves quickly and creates some memorable moments by literally sending your ships across the galaxy. I highly recommend it.
Yay - BkSheikah is the guru champion of awesomeness.

User Info: Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil
1 month ago#82
Dominion still the best. In theory I like the idea of a non-fixed market and multiple buys, but I've never seen it really executed well enough that I'd take it over Dominion. Playing online eliminates a lot of the fiddliness too, and the current implementation does not suck.

turbopuns3 posted...
Unfortunately I've found that in my circles the simplest strategy nearly always wins. Just buy money then provinces, or dukes/duchies, etc. People often get tangled up in an overly complicated strategy where they rattle off 12 actions all to just end up with 2 buys and 7 copper, or something.

This will wreck bad/new players but once you git gud there's almost always a better strategy! (even if it's just adding one or two cards to that plan)
https://imgtc.com/i/uWMMlnN.png
Radiant wings as the skies rejoice, arise, and illuminate the morn.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Peace___Frog

Peace___Frog
1 month ago#83
Dominion is a classic for a reason. Restrictions and limitations make the game, attempts from others in the genre to soften those edges all ultimately make the games weaker.

El Dorado's market randomness is fine because of the ultimate goal of the game, but I'd still almost always rather just play Dominion.
~Peaf~

User Info: turbopuns3

turbopuns3
1 month ago#84
Tom Bombadil posted...
This will wreck bad/new players but once you git gud there's almost always a better strategy! (even if it's just adding one or two cards to that plan)

Oh I didn't mean literally zero action cards. Usually I end up with 3-5 or so.

User Info: cyko

cyko
1 month ago#85
This is actually a running joke among my gamer friends.

"How to Win at Dominion" -

Only... Buy.... Money....
Yay - BkSheikah is the guru champion of awesomeness.

User Info: Naye745

Naye745
1 month ago#86
base (1st edition) dominion is a little weak in engine potential, but if you're playing with basically a handful of any of the expansions (and certainly if you're using all of them) multi-card engines tend to be much much stronger than any fairly basic money strategy

anyway, dominion is my favorite game. it's a mechanical triumph, ingeniously working together deck-building CCGs with euro engine builders through the now-ubiquitous "deck-building game" mechanics

more amazing to me is that it's a game whose most important game options can and will vary every time. yes, there are many +cards, +actions, etc cards, but the fact that the game not only works with any choice of 10, but shines because of what's missing or included each time, still blows me away.

donald x's other games have similar variety included, and i like several of them a lot, but none meets the same exceptional standard impossibly set by dominion
it's an underwater adventure ride
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: MajinZidane

MajinZidane
1 month ago#87
love this topic
Virtue - "You don't need a reason to Boko United."

User Info: turbopuns3

turbopuns3
1 month ago#88
Peace___Frog posted...
El Dorado's market randomness is fine because of the ultimate goal of the game, but I'd still almost always rather just play Dominion.

El Dorado's biggest problem, imo, is that trashing is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too strong. Spend a few turns in the first board piece abusing the trash space then you just blow by everyone and win in 5 turns. The game literally comes down to just "who had the lucky positioning/draw to lock down the first trash space". Such high potential for a game idea that it's a big disappointment.

User Info: Naye745

Naye745
1 month ago#89
i tend to find that the deckbuilding games with market rows boil down to "who gets the trashing card"

amazingly dominion figured out first try that it's ok if there's trashing or not as long as everyone gets the chance to do it, which is why chapel costs 2.
it's an underwater adventure ride

User Info: Peace___Frog

Peace___Frog
1 month ago#90
turbopuns3 posted...
El Dorado's biggest problem, imo, is that trashing is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too strong. Spend a few turns in the first board piece abusing the trash space then you just blow by everyone and win in 5 turns. The game literally comes down to just "who had the lucky positioning/draw to lock down the first trash space". Such high potential for a game idea that it's a big disappointment.
I agree that trashing is really strong and can take some of the competitiveness away. My group does a house rule for trashing where you can only do it once per space.
~Peaf~
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. my top 32 tabletop games
  • Post New Message