• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Leonhart Ranks 100 Games with Writeups!
What are your thoughts on Paper Mario?

it might be in my top 10, though I have heavy nostalgia for it (iirc it was my first console RPG)
Congrats to Advokaiser for winning the CBX Guru Challenge!
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: LeonhartFour

LeonhartFour
4 weeks ago#22
LordoftheMorons posted...
What are your thoughts on Paper Mario?

it might be in my top 10, though I have heavy nostalgia for it (iirc it was my first console RPG)

Paper Mario is really fun, but I think TTYD outclasses it in just about every way (list spoilers). Paper Mario was the prototype, and TTYD was the finished product (and somehow they've never been able to recapture the magic since. I didn't include Sticker Star because I didn't get far into it, but that thing would be near the bottom if I did. What happened to this series?). That being said, I do like how Paper Mario plays the story straight while just about every other Mario RPG mixes up the formula a bit by making Bowser an ally or by creating a different antagonist altogether. It's somehow unique by being the most formulaic...! The playable cast is simple but charming. The worlds are colorful (Shy Guy's Toy Box being the highlight), too.

And I'll give Paper Mario this: The final battle is one of my favorite moments in any Mario game. It's so good!
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/080/145/638.png
https://i.imgur.com/WqDcNNq.png

LeonhartFour
4 weeks ago#23
#100. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call

As you can see by looking at this list, I’m not a music/rhythm genre fan. Outside of this, I’ve only played the Persona ones, which are fine. Final Fantasy is my favorite series, and I’m a huge fan of video game music, especially this series, so when they released the original Theatrhythm, I decided to take the plunge. It was decent fun, albeit very limited. Each game represented (just the mainline games from I-XII) only had three songs each, and the only playable characters were the protagonists of each game. It was fun but shallow.

Curtain Call fixed that issue in a big way. There are about 70 playable characters and over 300 songs (100 of them being DLC, including songs from other Square games like Chrono Trigger, Nier, and Xenogears). It also isn’t just a straight up “pick a song and play it” game like the original. There’s a quest mode where it will randomly generate maps with different songs at increasing difficulties, and it’s actually pretty fun! The various backgrounds are colorfully nostalgic, and as a long time fan, it’s cool to see something like Zidane marching down the halls of Alexandria Castle to the tune of “Behind the Door” or beating the crap out of Safer Sephiroth in tune to “One-Winged Angel.” It can be pretty addictive trying to clear each song on increasing difficulty levels. I got to the point where I could beat Hard mode songs with regularity, but Ultimate was often too much for me, especially on battle stages. My reflexes just weren’t fast enough! If I beat it on Ultimate, I just barely squeaked by, but it was still a lot of fun.

My one major knock against the game is the artwork. I don’t want to see Squall and Cloud looking like creepy chibi dolls. I don’t know who thought this was a good idea, but if they ever make another Theatrhythm for Switch (please do), change the art style!

User Info: SeabassDebeste

SeabassDebeste
4 weeks ago#24
sounds kinda interesting
yet all sailors of all sorts are more or less capricious and unreliable - they live in the varying outer weather, and they inhale its fickleness

User Info: Anagram

Anagram
4 weeks ago#25
Tag
Not changing this sig until I decide to change this sig.
Started: July 6, 2005

User Info: xp1337

xp1337
4 weeks ago#26
Tag.

transience already covered it but XS3's placement the greatest sin of this list before it even truly started! I'll give a provisional second place to Trails in the Sky the 3rd. such disrespect to the GOAT to put it at 166.

As for other short comments on the pre-list: Oregon Trail feels way too low. It's nothing amazing but at that point in the list I'm not sure it really has to be! Man, OoT also getting some serious disrespect. No issues with it not making the Top 100 or anything but man that's low. Also hilarious that it's immediately losing to Tiny Toons. A bit surprised at KH 0.2 being that low, yeah it's basically a KH3 demo but it's a good demo! Another surprise is Mass Effect that low. It can be quite rough at times but still! I touched on Trails the 3rd but I'm also a bnit surprised at Cold Steel 1/2 being that low all considered. Thought they might be able to sneak in on the bottom of the list or at least get pretty close, kinda where FC is more or less. Also boooo at Persona 3's placement.
xp1337: Don't you wish there was a spell-checker that told you when you a word out?

LeonhartFour
4 weeks ago#27
Yeah, I was never really an Oregon Trail guy. Fording the river never works, darn it! I was always more of a Carmen Sandiego guy, as the list accurately reflects.

And honestly, even I was surprised by how low Ocarina of Time placed! Must have been some unconscious contest bias, I guess! I didn't expect it to finish down that low. But it's tough because I DO like most of the games on the list. Like I said, a lot of it was gut reactions in the moment. If I redid the whole thing tomorrow, I imagine a lot of the list would change! It's just whichever game sparked fond memories in me more at the time when I had to make a choice! I thought the Trails games would be higher, too! It's like I don't even know myself!

LeonhartFour
4 weeks ago#28
#99. Tales of the Abyss

Tales of the Abyss is a paradox of sorts. There are aspects of it that are simultaneously likable and unlikable. I always enjoy a story where the heroes are fighting to overcome a seemingly inescapable fate, but my word, this game beats you over the head with its nonsense terminology. If you think Kingdom Hearts is bad about this, try to keep track of how many times Tales of the Abyss talks about fonons and the Score! The playable cast is a mixed bag in a lot of ways. They’re all deeply flawed and hard to like for long stretches of time. Nobody embodies that more than the main character, Luke fon Fabre, who is spoiled, whiny, entitled, self-absorbed, abusive, and thoughtless for the first third of the game or so. Anyone who knows me knows that a hero I can’t root for is often the death knell of a game for me, and yet I found myself sticking it out anyway. The gameplay was good enough to keep me engaged. The battle system was fun (I preferred playing as Guy, for the record. He reminded me a lot of Lloyd from Symphonia), and the dungeons were nowhere near as convoluted as Symphonia’s were, which is a plus. Eventually my perseverance was rewarded.

I won’t go into detail here because of spoilers, but there’s a very clear turning point in this game. If you’ve played Abyss, you know the moment I’m talking about here. Then Luke undergoes a redemption arc the likes of which I’m not sure I’ve ever seen in another video game. I’ve seen people complain about the way it’s handled, and I think some of the criticisms are valid, but I was impressed by just how drastically Luke changed over the course of the game. It was a real treat to watch, and it provides for a few genuinely moving moments. I also really liked the villain ensemble in Abyss, and how each villain had a deep connection to one of the playable characters. It made for some good foils, and I love me some foils.

Overall, I would say Tales of the Abyss is aptly named! The early part of the game does attempt to drag you down into the abyss, but if you can endure it long enough (and some people can’t! At the time I played Tales of the Abyss, there were a couple of other B8ers who were playing it alongside me, and I was the only one who finished it!), the payoff is worth it, in my opinion. At the very least, I can say I’ve never played another JRPG quite like it.

User Info: xp1337

xp1337
4 weeks ago#29
LeonhartFour posted...
If you think Kingdom Hearts is bad about this, try to keep track of how many times Tales of the Abyss talks about fonons and the Score!
i've got it mostly down. this game was a great primer for me in my "be able to understand and accept the sometimes bs logic of fictional universes"

Like it actually makes a whole lot of sense in my head once I put enough thought into it but maybe I'm just insane.

I think early game Luke is much improved on replays of the game when you understand the full context of his character. On that first playthrough he is indeed insufferable but with the benefit of knowing the whole story I think he's actually a very interesting character when you can place his actions and behavior in context. He's actually a pretty solid guy he just understandably has the maturity of like a six-year old which... is chronologically accurate! It's jarring to see it from a perspective of not knowing which is interestingly both the player and most of the actual cast and they all react accordingly. And yes, that redemption arc is quite the arc.

Love that cast minus Anise still think there was a ton of missed potential with Arietta defecting to the party as her replacement given the situation at the time basically lining up the possibility. Would have made an interesting foil to Luke given their relatively similar situations in origin stories that severely screwed up their emotional maturity with the differences in their support systems giving them very divergent outcomes.

Great OST too, probably my favorite Tales OST though Vesperia can give it a run. Really the Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia stretch may have been the golden era of Tales OSTs. They haven't been as all-around solid in past years, being more forgettable on the whole with a few singular standouts per game.

Luke is really fun to play but I was a Zelos/Kratos player in Symphonia and he was a bit more in their lane as opposed to the Lloyd/Guy link.
xp1337: Don't you wish there was a spell-checker that told you when you a word out?
(edited 4 weeks ago)

LeonhartFour
4 weeks ago#30
Oh yeah, I did forget to mention that Abyss does indeed have a banging OST.

Underrated track time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngjeV4QglIw

Plays during my favorite storyline moment in the game.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Leonhart Ranks 100 Games with Writeups!
  • Post New Message