• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Eight Board-Eighters Rank Star Trek Characters

User Info: Eddv

Eddv
1 month ago#91
53. Katherine Pulaski
I was a failed concept

Season Two of TNG is the f***ing pits. If every TNG character were rated on their season 2 performances alone they'd all be this low.

I think her overall concept was good and the potential for a Bones/Spock style relationship burgeoning between she and Data had promise.

As a bonus we would have been spared the droll romance between Beverly Crusher and Picard.

But she didn't get that chance as Gates McFadden was back the next season and so she lies here in the graveyard of bad.
Board 8's Voice of Reason
https://i.imgur.com/AWY4xHy.jpg

User Info: SaveEstelle

SaveEstelle
1 month ago#92
Okay so I didn’t end up going to DD today but I will make up for it tomorrow lol

Season 1 TNG is even worse since Season 2 has a couple of real winners but it’s still pretty bad overall.
Hi! I'm Quinton.
Did you know that Emilia Clarke will be my wife in 2023?

User Info: Anagram

Anagram
1 month ago#93
46. Kes
“Why yes, porcupine-headed idiots are my type, how did you know?”

The most important thing to know about Kes is that she was going to stay on the show for its full run, but the producers demanded a character be cut for financial reasons after they brought on Seven of Nine. This character was going to be Harry Kim, which is why the last episode of season 3 has the Borg Queen directly address him through Voyager’s bridge screen. But between seasons, Time Magazine did a 100 Sexiest Men list, and Garret Wang (Harry’s actor) was on it.
https://c8.alamy.com/comp/D7KH2W/duesseldorf-germany-09-may-2013-actor-garrett-wang-star-trek-voyager-D7KH2W.jpg
This man was declared too sexy to let go of, and that’s why Kes was written out of the show.

This character has some potential if you look at things from a purely premise perspective. All of the humans are from a spacefaring civilization, so they can’t really be wowed by the wacky space shenanigans they find. Solution? Introduce a primitive alien girl in the first episode. As they go along, they discover that she’s not completely what she seems, and that a dark power nests within her.

If you’ve ever watched Voyager, you know both that I just made Kes sound way more interesting than she really is and that the writers were capable of two good episodes per season, max. The writers never had any idea what to do with the “Kes has super strong psychic powers” storyline. Writing her out of the show might have been a blessing in disguise.

I guess I should also address the whole Neelix thing. So if you have a race of aliens who die in nine years and have no understanding of anything beyond a redressed factory set I mean the underground civilization they’ve lived in for generations, then you’ve effectively made them kind of childlike? So it doesn’t feel like Kes’ relationship with Neelix is really on equal terms here, but this never gets brought up.

Aside from all of that, Kes is a perfectly fine premise ruined by Voyager’s garbage execution.
Not changing this sig until I decide to change this sig.
Started: July 6, 2005

Anagram
1 month ago#94
45. Harry Kim
“Captain, sensors detect that I’ve been an ensign for seven years… Do you think we could fire a photon promotion in my direction?”

What is there to even say about Harry Kim? He’s sort of the poster child for personality-less Trek characters. The actor himself explained that he was instructed to “underplay all emotion,” and if that’s truly the case, this man deserves a Golden Globe, because he nails it.

So, Harry was clearly designed as one of those characters who’s just there to support the real characters. A Sulu or a Chekov, rather than a Kirk or a Data. By itself, that should be okay. What makes it interesting is that Harry took it to the next level in a unique way: he actually does get a lot of stuff to do, but none of it is interesting. He’s in almost every episode, he’s always saying and doing stuff, I want to say that he gets injured more than anyone else on Voyager, and yet just try to describe this guy’s personality. “Inexperienced, forthright, honest, a little dumb.” That’s the best I can do.

I guess if I have to talk about Harry Kim, the easiest comparison is, oddly, Geordi. Besides being the tech guys who constantly get shown up by Data/Seven of Nine, both characters are sort of one-note background-less nobodies who are just there to support the real characters. Both characters have a bunch of episodes about themselves, and most of those episodes end up being about romance, because what else can you do with a nothing character? Geordi gets a bit more to do and is less dumb, though, so he’s way higher on the list (spoilers). There are a few good Harry Kim episodes, shockingly, like the one where an alien god (there are way too many of those around) sends him back to Earth in the past so he never got onto Voyager, so he has to choose between happiness and his friends, or the one where he accidentally kills everyone except Chakotay and has to travel back in time to erase his mistakes, but basically this character is garbage, and even his few good moments could as easily be given to other characters.

The defining Harry Kim moment to me will forever be when he died and was replaced by an alternate timeline phasic version of himself or whatever, and no one ever mentioned it again. You’d think that would weigh heavily on a guy, knowing that these aren’t really your friends, that even if you reach Earth you’ll never really see your parents again, but apparently not.

Lastly, the most interesting thing about Voyager to me is a random anecdote mentioned in passing by Garret Wang. According to him, he and Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris) were screwing around and throwing comm badges at each other to see if they could make one stick to each other’s chest from a distance. Kate Mulgrew showed up, threw a badge, got to stick to his chest in one try, announced “That’s why I’m the captain,” and walked away.

User Info: Murphiroth

Murphiroth
1 month ago#95
The most interesting thing about Kes is her actress' arrest for indecent exposure in my family's tiny hometown of Harriman, TN. There's only like 6000 people there.

https://variety.com/2015/tv/news/jennifer-lien-arrested-star-trek-voyager-1201594328/
http://goforbeau.com/

Anagram
1 month ago#96
44. Malcolm Reed
“Yes, Captain.”

I was asked to make the entire list of Star Trek characters for this ranking topic. I was too lazy to look them up, so I just did from memory. Afterwards, I rolled my eyes and looked them up just to be safe. Do you know how many pre-DIS characters I’d missed? Two: Malcolm Reed and Deanna Troi.

I made jokes about this with Harry Kim and others, but Malcolm Reed is the ultimate supporting Trek character. The dude never gets an episode fully to himself, never gets a real moment to shine, and has limited interactions with everyone except Trip. It took until season 4 for Reed to get anything, where it’s revealed that he works for Section 31 (let me take this moment to complain about Discovery having a unique comm badge design for Section 31, as if a spy agency would want to have black comm badges that announce who they are when they’re spiesssss). It barely even matters in the end.

Reed’s purpose on the ship is to fire phase cannons (because we have to be more primitive than phasers, but not in any way that matters) and to be the captain when the three real characters are down on the planet. As a result, he wins the dubious “most competent member of the crew” award, because everyone else has the opportunity to screw up, while he has to stay aboard and fix their mistakes so the plot can continue. Like seriously, tell me one personality trait this guy has.

If I can say anything for Reed, it’s this: he’s inoffensive. There’s nothing about him that’s actively bad, he’s just really, really boring.

Anagram
1 month ago#97
43. Sylvia Tilly
“This is the power of math, peopleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!”

I can’t quite tell if Tilly is this high because she genuinely reaches the lofty heights of inoffensiveness, or if it’s because anyone is high when compared to Michael Burnham. I accept responsibility if I’ve overranked her, but really, who cares?

It’s not wrong to call this character “female Barclay” and just end the writeup there.

Anagram
1 month ago#98
42. Philippa Georgiou
“Mwahaha, I’m evil but I’ll help you anyway.”

It’s not really fair to count this as a character, since we have the ‘real’ Philippa Georgiou for two episodes, then the rest is the Mirror Universe version. But whatever.

I already explained my love for Discovery’s Mirror Universe episodes in the Burnham writeup, so in short: the Mirror Universe is just so inherently silly that I love anything associated with it. Discovery is extremely stupid, and Georgiou injects some badly needed absurdity to make it more tolerable. “I have an ipad that will blow up a nuclear bomb I placed inside of a volcano to force the enemy nation into backing down” is the kind of nonsense you’d expect in a James Bomb movie. “A computer program has put nanomachines into a guy who is now immune to laser guns; I’ll have a fistfight with him.” Her second episode involves eating a guy’s brain and using a circular saw to kill a bunch of noblemen. Everything about her is presented with complete sincerity and it’s so, so silly.

It helps that she actually does manage the whole gray morality element better than the rest of the cast. She’s a genocidal dictator who loses her human-supremacist empire, then has a chance to become a spy to help a more egalitarian democracy, and actually genuinely does want to help. She has an immediately more interesting setup than basically any other character on the show, and it’s further helped by having the only interesting dynamic with Michael Burnham of anyone. “I look like your mother figure but I’m completely different and you cannot redeem your earlier mistakes with her by helping me” is bizarre, but it actually does work… Right up until Michael accepts this, whereupon their dynamic becomes boring again.

Can I just say that the show cheated with her introduction? I just wanted to say that. Besides calling her Emperor instead of Empress (and don’t argue about this, the ENT episodes established the Terrans called female rulers Empresses), the first DIS Mirror Universe episode says no one knows what the Emperor looks like and all information is kept tightly guarded and that there’re no images in the space internet of ‘him.’ Then when Georgiou shows up, all of the unimportant extras on the bad guy ship just immediately recognize her and do the Heil Hitler.

Anagram
1 month ago#99
41. Hikaru Sulu
“Oh my.”

There are four Asians in Star Trek, and all four have gone down for me in the space of ten rankings, none above Filler Tier. I just noticed that three of them have first names that start with H, good for Phillipa Georgiou for finally breaking that awful stereotype – only the second letter of her first name has an H.

Anyway, Sulu. He’s another of those classic “I’m here to say ‘Yes captain’” characters who barely counts as a character at all. Can anyone name a defining Sulu moment besides the one time he grabbed a sword and ran around the ship? He wasn’t even specifically interested in swords, there’s another episode where he has a 17th century gun. He was just interested in old weapons, but the 09 movie was so desperate for something for him to do that he’s revealed to be a master swordsman or whatever, then is no more useful than Kirk armed only with his fists.

It makes perfect sense that Sulu is the only one of the TOS cast besides Kirk who goes on to captain a ship. Spock and McCoy are too useful to the story and have to be kept in orbit of Kirk and Scotty is established as only caring about engines, which just leaves Uhura, Chekov, and Sulu. Chekov managed to get all the way to first officer, then when his ship got blown up by Kirk, returned to serving under Kirk. That’s how the Federation rolls. No one cares about Uhura, so it had to be Sulu. And look how Takei’s career blossomed under that! He got to be in an episode of Voyager! Albeit, that was only because it was the thirtieth anniversary of Star Trek and the DS9 celebration episode (i.e. the good one) had all the TOS cast except Sulu and Rand, so they had to shoehorn those two in somewhere, and where better than a memory of a guy who was retconned into being on their ship? Seriously, was it too much to ask for a time travel or alternate dimension episode or something? Just say that the Excelsior was caught in an inverse tachyon storm and landed ten feet away from Voyager because it was interphasically tethered to Tuvok or something. Seven of Nine has to open a polarized neutronium vortex to send them back, and the Doctor erases their memories of the future. Janeway is momentarily tempted to take Voyager back to the Federation, but realizes she can’t go 100 years back in time and everyone is disappointed again.

I guess I should talk about Sulu’s possible gayness. George Takei has always maintained that Sulu is straight and that Takei’s own sexuality should not be read into the character. Within the actual text of Star Trek, I guess you could argue that it’s ambiguous, since while Sulu has a daughter, he’s literally the only main character in all of Star Trek to never have a love interest or show attraction to any other character (don’t give me the time he got drunk and called Uhura a “fair maiden”), but if Nichelle Nichols gets to approve of Uhura’s first name, I think we’re all fine with Takei deciding this. Then Star Trek Beyond (bonus points if you remember the plot to that movie without having to look it up) was like WE NEED A GAY, so there’s a five second scene where Sulu is with his husband and daughter. I have to assume Takei hates them for that.

Anagram
1 month ago#100
40. Charles Tucker
“Hoooooooooooo-wee!”

Can I just say that Trip’s rank is Commander, and T’Pol’s rank is Subcommander, but she outranks him? What the hell is that?

I’m going to level with you: I watched Enterprise once when I was nineteen. I’ve rewatched a few episodes here and there since, but for the most part, my memory of some of it is very hazy. But I remember Trip pretty well. The dude can be summed up as “I have to maintain the most complicated machine ever built, but I’m a redneck who doesn’t know anything.”

ENT was consciously trying to emulate the Kirk/Spock/McCoy dynamic, with Trip taking the role of McCoy. As you expect, this goes off without a hitch, and Trip is universally considered to be one of the strongest and most developed characters on any science-fiction show, not just Star Trek.

I refuse to believe T’Pol could find anything attractive about this man. I rewatched a bit of ENT a few months ago, got to the part where they have to strip down to their underwear and massage each other with anti-radiation gel, and was like “this is the most dated thing ever.”

The most memorable Trip moment to me came in the crossover with 24, when Trip travels back in time, becomes a security guard, and terrorists are going to kill him. Jack Bauer has to choose between saving him and alerting the other terrorists that they’re under attack, or letting him die and ensuring his own mission will be a success. Of course, having already watched Star Trek, we the audience know that Jack will save Trip, and so he does.

No, seriously, whose idea was it to kill Trip in the final episode? An episode so horrendous that every reference to it since then has been to retcon it? Even the actors and director admitted it was a mistake. I don’t like Trip, but I don’t hate him, either. At least when Yar dies to a random bad guy, he’s like a manifestation of hatred and effectively rules a planet or whatever. Trip goes down to ordinary thieves. And like he’s dying on the doctor’s table and Phlox is like “he’s been burned too badly to save” but most of his skin is clearly just fine, he’s just got some blood on his jaw, he’ll clearly be okay.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Eight Board-Eighters Rank Star Trek Characters
  • Post New Message