• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Eight Board-Eighters Rank Star Trek Characters

User Info: Anagram

Anagram
1 month ago#81
48. Nyota Uhura
“Captain, I think I lost my personality…”

You know what the hardest thing to do was for the past five characters, including this one? Think of fake quotes.

Uhura is an extremely famous character, to the point where my sister (who once asked if Han Solo was from “Space Guys”) could recognize her. But what does she actually do? Nothing. She’s there purely to be the girl. I guess you can argue that her personality is that she enjoys playing around, but it’s hard to think of like the defining Uhura moment, aside from the famous kiss.

Honestly, the thing I remember Uhura most for is what she didn’t do: captain the ship. There are two episodes where Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Scotty are down on the whatever planet and George Takei was busy filming a movie, so Uhura should be in charge. Instead they just dredged up some guy to do it because the producers didn’t want her in the chair. I can only imagine that incensed Nichelle Nichols.

If we’re being really honest here, alternate universe Uhura has more personality in one movie than real Uhura does in six movies and three seasons. I did not see the twist coming where she turns into an Orion Slave Girl, travels back in time two-hundred years, and gets adopted by Thanos.
Not changing this sig until I decide to change this sig.
Started: July 6, 2005

User Info: ChichiriMuyo

ChichiriMuyo
1 month ago#82
To be fair to Denise Crosby, Gene told her flat out he was never going to give her character anything to work with. Roddenberry only wanted to focus on Picard/Riker/Data like he did with Kirk/Spock/Bones. Once he was gone of course she wanted back on because at least then the writers tried to give her something to work with. If I was in her position I'd probably have left too. At the time the show was going nowhere and being nobody on a nothing show isnt exactly great on a resume.
"The X-Treme lineup is annoying as all get-out in a fight." - NBIceman

User Info: scarletspeed7

scarletspeed7
1 month ago#83
Anagram posted...

If we’re being really honest here, alternate universe Uhura has more personality in one movie than real Uhura does in six movies and three seasons. I did not see the twist coming where she turns into an Orion Slave Girl, travels back in time two-hundred years, and gets adopted by Thanos.
Had me for a second. But also it's legitimately true.
"It is too easy being monsters. Let us try to be human." ~Victor Frankenstein, Penny Dreadful

User Info: SaveEstelle

SaveEstelle
1 month ago#84
Seginustemple posted...
Dang am I the only one that straight up likes Discovery? I mean it has flaws (some ridiculous writing, excessive burnham waterworks) but I'd argue it's the strongest first 30 episodes of a Trek since TOS. Season 2 was trending upwards, the cast has been great so far. I'm excited to see where it goes.

Just waiting on Ash Tyler to reveal he is also secretly Tasha Yar in anagram form

Nope, I like it too! As does KBM.
Hi! I'm Quinton.
Did you know that Emilia Clarke will be my wife in 2023?

User Info: scarletspeed7

scarletspeed7
1 month ago#85
I like some aspects of season 1 significantly, and season 2 even more.
"It is too easy being monsters. Let us try to be human." ~Victor Frankenstein, Penny Dreadful

User Info: ChichiriMuyo

ChichiriMuyo
1 month ago#86
Seginustemple posted...
Just waiting on Ash Tyler to reveal he is also secretly Tasha Yar in anagram form
I'm listening...
"The X-Treme lineup is annoying as all get-out in a fight." - NBIceman

User Info: SaveEstelle

SaveEstelle
1 month ago#87
I'm probably going to do some studying at Dunkin Donuts today so I'll knock a couple more out then.
Hi! I'm Quinton.
Did you know that Emilia Clarke will be my wife in 2023?

User Info: Anagram

Anagram
1 month ago#88
47. Pavel Chekov
“Did you know Beatles haircuts were invented in Russia?”

Before I go on, RIP new Chekov.

Chekov, Chekov… Unlike the other characters just below him, Chekov actually does have a distinct personality. Like dialogue written for him cannot be mistaken for Scotty’s dialogue, etc. The problem is that he’s still not much of a character. Dude’s just sort of there most of the time.

Chekov is the definition of a filler character. He has just enough to him to pass for being a person, but he’s really just there to have another recognizable face obeying Kirk’s orders. When Chekov does do stuff, he’s there to screw up because he’s younger and more inexperienced, despite the actor being the same age as everyone else, but hey, that’s the way it goes.

Chekov inspires mainly apathy in me, sorry.
Not changing this sig until I decide to change this sig.
Started: July 6, 2005

User Info: Eddv

Eddv
1 month ago#89
55. Reginald Barclay
A Nerd? Me?

So Star Trek has a bad habit of presenting non-masculine male characters as being just hapless geeks to begin with. TNG already had one of these already in the form of Geordi but Geordi bless him at least has some other meat on the bone.

Reginald is an amalgam of the very worst of Harry Kim or Geordi taken up to 11. He's annoying for pretty much all of his screen time. I am told he is meant to be some kind of in joke, trekkie parody and good lord you can keep him.

Board 8's Voice of Reason
https://i.imgur.com/AWY4xHy.jpg

User Info: Eddv

Eddv
1 month ago#90
54. Sylvia Tilly
I am hyper and stuff

The series - perhaps tiring of the Geordi Archetype being applied exclusively to men went ahead and debuted this character. But like Reginald she bears almost all of the same faults only the show's dark tone makes her seem foolish beyond the level that is intended for her.

Early on it is said that she has her own room because of some sort of health issue before she is forced to start sharing with Michael. It was my assumption at that time that she was not going to be neurotypical as this shows expansion into new kinds of diversity as is show tradition.

She has allergies and snores a lot instead. And my interest in her basically never recovered.

She gets sucked into the magic mushrooms plot and for the entirety of season 1 in my view serves one of two purposes with all her screen time - 1) worship michael or 2) be generally sort of annoying in her lead B plots.

Again this is on the basis of just season 1 of Disco but I did not enjoy her one bit.
Board 8's Voice of Reason
https://i.imgur.com/AWY4xHy.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Eight Board-Eighters Rank Star Trek Characters
  • Post New Message