• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Eight Board-Eighters Rank Star Trek Characters

User Info: SaveEstelle

SaveEstelle
1 month ago#61
#57 Janice Rand
“Here is your flaw, Shaitan, Lord of the Dark, Lord of Envy, Lord of Nothing, here is why you fail. It was not about me. It's never been about me.”

I'm gonna be real brutal here: I'm never entirely convinced why Janice Rand even makes the cut for these lists. This year, we lack Weyoun, but we do have Janice Rand. The thing about Janice Rand is that she's by far the less interesting Rand between Rand al'Thor and herself. I'm sure I don't have to tell you but she never said anything remotely akin to her quote in this write-up. I'm only four books into The Wheel of Time but I could write a Rand al'Thor ranking three pages long with relative ease. I cannot conceivably write more than three paragraphs on Janice Rand, this one included.

In the first half of the first season of Star Trek, Janice Rand exists. Thereafter, she does not exist, until films I, IV, and VI, as well as... Star Trek: Voyager's middling "Flashpoint" episode. Each and every time she returns, mind you, it's like some sort of proto-MCU winky face. "Look, she exists!" Wow, it must be great to exist. "Look, she's older now, just like the rest of the crew!" Well, that's probably less nice, but whatever. "Aha! I recognize her from the original series!" "I thought she looked familiar! Why, that's Janice Rand!" No one should ever feel compelled to portray excitement at the notion of Janice Rand popping up for 30 seconds. If you do, please give Discovery a second chance, because winking is commonplace in 2256.

It's interesting that Janice Rand -- wait, no, no it is not. Memory Alpha manages to churn out some summarization of Janice Rand's roles in several early episodes, but here are some highlights: at one point, a feral Captain James T. Kirk, under the influence of an alien or whatever, carnally lusts after Janice Rand. This is considered a plot point despite the fact that Captain James T. Kirk is always feral and his carnal lust for Janice Rand is evident upon William Shatner's exquisitely-sculpted face every time she enters the room. Also, Janice Rand brews hot coffee in two separate scenes. Wild.

https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/4/0/0/AAc2SFAAAGsI.jpg
Hi! I'm Quinton.
Did you know that Emilia Clarke will be my wife in 2023?

User Info: scarletspeed7

scarletspeed7
1 month ago#62
These points make me think I should have ranked Rand lower. Trying to decide if apathy is worse than dislike is difficult.
"It is too easy being monsters. Let us try to be human." ~Victor Frankenstein, Penny Dreadful

SaveEstelle
1 month ago#63
scarletspeed7 posted...
These points make me think I should have ranked Rand lower. Trying to decide if apathy is worse than dislike is difficult.

It can go either way for me. There are several characters left whom I actively dislike, but Rand is just so whatever and lacking in memes that I nuked her early.
Hi! I'm Quinton.

scarletspeed7
1 month ago#64
I tried to let the scale go from X-axis "Love to Hate" and Y-axis "Well-written to Awfully Written" and hopefully start with the worst of both worlds and work my way up to the best.
"It is too easy being monsters. Let us try to be human." ~Victor Frankenstein, Penny Dreadful

User Info: Vengeful_KBM

Vengeful_KBM
1 month ago#65
I mostly went with an "apathy is worse than dislike" approach for my Bottom 10, with Chakotay being the major example of someone that somehow evokes huge amounts of both apathy and hatred which is why he was a no-brainer for Bottom 1. Still, after a couple more "nothing" characters, my list will turn towards the characters that actively annoy me.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Anagram

Anagram
1 month ago#66
53. Ash Tyler
“I serve T’Kuvma the Unforgettable, who will never be mentioned again.”

So, setting aside the question of how a culture with the most advanced disguise and plastic surgery technology in the galaxy could discriminate against albinos when an albino could just get turned into a normal Klingon (hell, he can even get turned into a normal human), I’m curious how you can screw up this character.

In theory, “Klingon double agent who has second thoughts and wants to save both sides and have a forbidden romance with the protagonist” should be bulletproof. In theory, “Klingon successor chosen by T’Kuvma and must play Klingon politics to do what’s right” should be bulletproof. In theory, “Klingon sleeper agent whose awakening memories cause him to murder an innocent man, then feel guilt over it, also his love interest freaks out at the discovery” should be bulletproof.

It’s a testament to how poorly the show is written that Ash still ends up boring. I think it’s because he’s a satellite character of Burnham, but I’m not sure. He has enough stuff going on in his arc to be interesting on his own, but instead he ruins what could have otherwise been an interesting arc of the outcast Klingon who has to make his way in the galaxy for what’s right (from his perspective). Other characters who aren’t Burnham satellites but have less going on are still better than him, so I can’t really nail down why he doesn’t work for me.

Maybe I should travel to the Klingon time travel monastery, age sixty years in a week, and take one of the crystals at the price of locking in a destiny that causes me to become wheelchair-bound in exchange for granting me forbidden knowledge.
Not changing this sig until I decide to change this sig.
Started: July 6, 2005
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Vengeful_KBM

Vengeful_KBM
1 month ago#67
#56. Janice Rand
#55. Christine Chapel

Say what you want about either of these two, but they are essentially the same boring character. Janice Rand's greatest sin is that she barely matters, disappears after the first half a season, and then starts showing up in the movies and on the “Flashback” episode of Voyager because Grace Lee Whitney never managed to do anything else with her acting career. She then gets replaced by Christine Chapel, who fills the same “token woman in a short skirt for Shatner and the Boys to leer at” role, although with the added, ultimately pointless wrinkle that she's hopelessly in love with Spock. This is never adequately explored, and often goes long stretches of the series being ignored even in scenarios where it would make sense for it to come up – I adore the episode “Amok Time,” for instance, but it's kind of comical that all Chapel does in that episode is get soup thrown at her. I do feel bad for Majel Barret here, as she was a pretty competent actress who often got saddled with really bad parts. Getting demoted from the original Number One in “The Cage” to “token nurse lady” must have been quite a blow, but it's really telling when your best role in the franchise is almost certainly “voice of starship computer.”

So yeah, these characters are pretty inextricable from each other in my mind, and the only reason Chapel ranks higher is because she's played by a slightly better actress and gets slightly more to do than the “nothing at all” Janice Rand ended up with over the course of the series. Neither one is worth spending much time or energy talking about, in my mind, and they honestly barely belong on a ranking list over the likes of Guinan or Weyoun in the first place; merely on the technicality of their billing in the show.
(edited 1 month ago)

SaveEstelle
1 month ago#68
http://blog.trekcore.com/2020/01/star-trek-picard-officially-renewed-for-season-2/
Hi! I'm Quinton.

scarletspeed7
1 month ago#69
I thought it was renewed last year already for season two.

SaveEstelle
1 month ago#70
scarletspeed7 posted...
I thought it was renewed last year already for season two.

It was, albeit unofficially. It’s nice to have PR confirmation at last!
Hi! I'm Quinton.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Eight Board-Eighters Rank Star Trek Characters
  • Post New Message