• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Eight Board-Eighters Rank Star Trek Characters

User Info: Seginustemple

Seginustemple
4 weeks ago#131
I just finished a TNG rewatch and yeah it's like Season 7's whole gimmick is everyone gets +1 family members to, you know, really round out their backstories. Geordi's mom, Bevs grandma and her ghost bootycall, Worf's half-brother, Picard's supposed secret son, Troi's secret sister. In the one where Data has a secret mom even Data is like "...oh buuulls***"

User Info: SaveEstelle

SaveEstelle
4 weeks ago#132
Time to get crackin' again, Quinton! I've decided that my goal for this weekend is to catch up to Ana
Hi! I'm Quinton.
Did you know that Emilia Clarke will be my wife in 2023?

User Info: Anagram

Anagram
4 weeks ago#133
Good luck.

24. Jonathan Archer
“I just read an article on dailymail.com that says people with elf ears are 12% more likely to be evil.”

I think I understand Archer. More specifically, I think I understand why he exists.

“We need a captain,” said someone. “Kirk is an adventurer, Picard is a diplomat, Sisko is a warrior, and Janeway pretends to be a scientist. What does that leave?” The answer was adventurer again. Okay, okay, Archer is supposed to be an explorer. He’s in it just to see what’s beyond the current borders of a map. But it leaves you as a viewer a little vague on the details of how his skillset differs from any of the other captains.

“All of the other captains so far were very professional. What if our new captain is casual and chill?” So Archer refers to most of the crew by their first names and just gives off a more casual vibe.

“He needs to have some kind of conflict. What if he hates Vulcans?” So Archer gets annoyed easily when he talks to Vulcans. I bet the writers thought they were being clever, that Archer would learn as the series goes on why the Vulcans have made the choices they’ve made, and undergo some self-reflection and become a better man for it. And that… soooooort of happens, but not really. It happens two times: when Archer refuses to save the planet of diseased people so another species can survive and says I WONDER IF WE’LL HAVE SOME KIND OF DIRECTIVE THAT’S GIVEN PRIME IMPORTANCE IN THE FUTURE and admits the Vulcans’ neutrality makes sense sometimes, and another time when he meets emotional Vulcans and is like “okay yeah I agree with the emotionlessness now, my bad.”

Archer’s standout moment is in season 3, when his ship is broken and he needs a part to save Earth. He finds an alien ship and is like “dudes want to give me your warp drive” and they’re like “lol no.” Archer’s been pretty adamant about doing The Right Thing up to this point, but out of options, he finally just steals their warp drive which looks like a donut, and leaves them enough food to get home at sublight speeds in two years. Then, after defeating the Xindi a few episodes later, he goes back, apologizes, and gives them a new warp drive so they were only inconvenienced by a few weeks naaaah haha.

If we’d had more of this Archer, the Archer who has his beliefs challenged by the difficulty of the crazy space stuff he encounters, he would have been way more interesting. That’s what I’ll give him, he was teetering on something cool and interesting.

One of my favorite elements of Archer is that the previous captains rarely lost fistfights. Scott Bakula was like “I will absolutely get beaten up on screen,” so the writers wrote way too many “Archer is beaten up” episodes. The result is that Archer successfully wins exactly one fistfight in four years: against a monk. And he doesn’t even really win, he just survives long enough to grab a phaser.

So much of Enterprise feels like a weaker version of TOS, which is largely intentional (not the weaker part, of course). The greatest shame in Star Trek is Enterprise being cancelled just as it was finding its footing. That alternate dimension where we get a season 5 might be laughing at us right now. Maybe Star Trek never went through a dry spell there, and so it never had to deal with Discovery.
Not changing this sig until I decide to change this sig.
Started: July 6, 2005
(edited 4 weeks ago)

Anagram
4 weeks ago#134
23. Deanna Troi
“Captain, that snarling Klingon may be hostile.”

For all the crap Troi gets, she’s not a bad character. Yes, it’s fun to make fun of her for giving obvious advice and constantly being ignored when she does give good advice, but honestly, the premise of this character is solid. “The future is very clean and sterile and science-y, here’s a psychologist who’s all about emotions and who integrates it all into the futuristic society.” That’s part of what I like about Star Trek, the basically optimistic future of people who solve problems with diplomacy, science, and philosophy, and who look at laser explosions and fistfights as a last resort. Troi is completely in keeping with this style of writing, so I actually kind of like her.

Troi benefits a lot from being the person who everyone else goes to for advice and support, so she’s usually got something to do. She gets a bad rap, but if you actually sit down and watch Troi episodes, the only bad ones are either really about her mother or the one where an alien has sex with her in order to impregnate her with himself. And really, who hasn’t been raped by an omnipotent energy being in their sleep at least once?
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/MTwyb-A1oak/hqdefault.jpg

I will say this, however: Marina Sirtis is the worst actor in TNG, and it’s not by a small amount. Patrick Stewart is like a real actor, of course, Brent Spiner kills it as Data, LeVar Burton elevates a character who should be boring and lame, but Marina Sirtis doesn’t do the same with Troi. I cannot imagine anyone else playing Picard, Riker, Data, or Worf, but I can definitely imagine another actress playing Troi and doing a better job of it.

One of the funniest aspects of Troi to me is that Marina Sirtis and Denise Crosby were originally going to play each other’s characters. Can you imagine a TNG where Troi dies early on and Yar stays on the whole time, except played by a woman who does not look tough at all? Like I believe Denise Crosby when she acts tough, I would not believe Marina Sirtis. Have you watched Terminator Genisys where Emilia Clarke has to act like a badass warrior and it’s completely absurd? That’s how I imagine the original version of Yar.

Anagram
4 weeks ago#135
22. Tuvok
“To be honest, it’s been hard being the only Vulcan who’s not a scientist or a diplomat, but I have to go where my heart takes me.”

I just realized that Tuvok is the winner of the dubious “easiest name to make fun of” award. “Boo-vok,” “Screw-vok,” “Moo-vok.” Has anyone ever made fun of his name before? If not, I’m calling the rights.

Tuvok probably does not deserve to be this high. He’s here pretty much entirely because of the rest of Voyager’s cast. He and the Doctor are all that hold the first two seasons up. Tuvok is the only person in the entire cast who at any point feels like he could actually be in a military. He’s the only person on the bridge who has even an ounce of professionalism, and for that reason, he’s able to buoy a lot of scenes where Janeway, Chakotay, Harry, and Tom Paris act like idiots. I suspect Tuvok manages this feat because it’s impossible to write a Vulcan wrong without having him or her come off as a smug, condescending jerk. That happens in Enterprise and Discovery, but it’s not one of Voyager’s (many) sins.

I don’t want to say that Tuvok is the smartest person on Voyager, because that’s obviously Seven, but he comes off as the smartest who’s not also an idiot, if you get what I mean. Remember that early episode where Janeway says “I won’t trade away copies of our Earth literature for a space catapult that will return us to Earth because it’s against the rules?” Tuvok just straight-up makes the exchange behind her back. That’s something Spock would have done.

I think there’s just something inherently interesting and cool about someone who tries his best to behave logically and without emotion, but inevitably gets into a situation where his control is tested, because of course he does, that’s the drama. Spock does it better, of course, but I think the concept itself is so fundamentally solid that even Voyager couldn’t screw it up.

Here’s a fun fact: Tuvok and Phlox are the only married characters in any show who have zero marital problems. Phlox is just like “lol my species each marries like nine people at a time, so my wife doesn’t care if I go adventuring,” and Tuvok’s wife is like “I’m a Vulcan, you think I mind waiting seven years for you to return?” I wonder if they gave Tuvok a wife planning to make some kind of plot about it later, like he’s tempted by a sexy Delta Quadrant woman who loves board games and meditation, then decided not to do it.

User Info: RPGlord95

RPGlord95
4 weeks ago#136
Too much Chakotay hate. Not enough Neelix hate.

Riker better be top 5 on every list.

Whiskey Nick on his cell phone
"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat." -Warrior

Anagram
4 weeks ago#137
21. Christopher Pike
“Beep. Beep. That’s wheelchair for ‘No,’ jackass.”

Christopher Pike wins the coveted “Only Thing in the Galaxy Not Ruined by Discovery” award. Pike is absolutely the only thing holding up season 2 of Discovery for me. He’s the only thing in it that feels like something out of a real Star Trek. I would have preferred if the entire show was just about Pike and Number One having space adventures and Michael Burnham is just the science officer or something. Do you remember how at the end of season 1, Discovery was going to pick up its new captain, then Pike took over unexpectedly? I wonder what happened to the original captain. Do you think he’s still waiting for his new ship, and no one told him?

I think back to The Cage, and Pike in it is thoughtful and morose in a way that no other captain ever would be. He’s a man who’s not sure about the crazy space adventures he’s had and the people he’s lost, and slowly comes to realize there’s still a place for him out there. He’s a captain who’s smart enough to see through the basketball aliens’ illusions in a way that I think only Picard could match. How I would love a show about that Pike, the Pike who wants to find cool stuff in the galaxy and not question if it’s worth it. Sadly, Discovery takes place well after that, when he’s more cheerful and normal, which actually does make sense. I’m unclear if the writers were thinking about that, though, or if they just stumbled into something logical.

Isn’t it amazing that one of the most recognizable Star Trek things, alongside the phaser and Vulcans and whatever, is Pike’s stupid wheelchair? It’s in one episode, but it’s more recognizable to a normal person than all of DS9, VOY, ENT, and DIS combined.

My biggest problem with Discovery’s version of Pike is, of course, the big revelation about his later life. In TOS, Pike being in a wheelchair was just a random accident. A one-in-a-million chance that could have happened to anyone. A function of exploring space that happens because space is dangerous and you can’t proof against everything. It could have as easily happened to Kirk or Bones or Spock, and although it’s a tragedy, it’s a tragedy that all Starfleet members know is a possibility. If we’re going to use real life analogies, it’s something like a ruptured wall on a submarine – it’s always a possibility, but if you really want to explore the deep ocean, you just have to accept that.

“No!” says Discovery. “It’s not just a random accident, that’s boring. It’s destiny. Pike was such a hero that he willingly accepted becoming paralyzed in the future in exchange for a magical time crystal guarded by Klingon monks in a secret monastery on a forbidden moon needed to stop Michael Burnham’s time traveling mother in a super technology spacesuit that she later replicates in five minutes with the help of three other people!”

That really says it all, doesn’t it? TOS: Slow, plodding, thoughtful. DIS: Fast, action-packed, explosion-y.

Anagram
4 weeks ago#138
RPGlord95 posted...
Too much Chakotay hate. Not enough Neelix hate.

Riker better be top 5 on every list.
Both are bad to me, but for completely different reasons.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: scarletspeed7

scarletspeed7
3 weeks ago#139
Hoping to get some time to finally start catching up but I have to say that Picard launched very, very well.
"It is too easy being monsters. Let us try to be human." ~Victor Frankenstein, Penny Dreadful

User Info: SaveEstelle

SaveEstelle
3 weeks ago#140
scarletspeed7 posted...
Hoping to get some time to finally start catching up but I have to say that Picard launched very, very well.

Yes.

Yes, it did.
Hi! I'm Quinton.
Did you know that Emilia Clarke will be my wife in 2023?
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Eight Board-Eighters Rank Star Trek Characters
  • Post New Message