• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Eight Board-Eighters Rank Star Trek Characters

User Info: Anagram

Anagram
1 month ago#111
34. Reginald Barclay
“Computer, create a medieval torture dungeon filled with twenty naked holographic versions of Deanna Troi and Beverly Crusher, each of whom is ten feet taller than me. Remove their arms and replace them with giant whips, and give them sharp vampire teeth. Fill each one with an unquenchable thirst for small, balding men and the idea that all other males in the galaxy are dead, then disengage safety protocols.”

Barclay is interesting in that he’s pretty much the first imperfect human character in Star Trek. Everyone before him was a heroic character or an extra, and if they had flaws, they were heroic-level flaws. Barclay’s the first who’s more-or-less a normal dude with some social anxiety issues.

A lot of people love him, and I see it. You’ll never meet a Picard in real life, but you will meet a few Barclays. But he’s also less interesting than the main characters, so eh. I wouldn’t have minded more of him, like if he’d gotten transferred to Voyager ala Miles O’Brien, but I don’t mind what we got.

If we’re being completely honest here, Barclay is more interesting than Crusher, Troi, and Geordi, but they either have better stories from being main characters or have better actors, and that’s why he’s below them for me.

For me, the defining Barclay moment isn’t the time he had sex with holographic slave versions of his superior officers, it’s the time he turned into a spider.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TNrIzyY96qM/T9rTkf5WyTI/AAAAAAAABeE/0Maf5DyRwtw/s1600/barclay+spider.JPG
That episode, Genesis, is actually very good if you can ignore how stupid everything in it is.
Not changing this sig until I decide to change this sig.
Started: July 6, 2005

Anagram
1 month ago#112
Whoops, forgot that Paul Stamets-on are in Fine Tier.

- Fine Tier -
Fine characters rise above being mere filler and reach the lofty heights of mediocrity. They actively make the show just a little bit better by their inclusion… but not by much.

User Info: ZenOfThunder

ZenOfThunder
1 month ago#113
something I wanted to talk about for a while is the recent-ish comic Star Trek TNG: Mirror Broken which is a mini series based in the Mirror universe starring the TNG cast (if you couldn't figure that out by the title)

https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/9/1/2/AAHLcRAAAHyo.jpg

i really like that all the characters get these overly edgy redesigns (Data gets an evil robot eye later on) but Barclay is still just Barclay because there is literally no way to make him look cool

I guess Crusher also looks pretty bland in the mirror universe but there's not many ways to make an evil doctor
(|| ' ' ||) drooling while eating
. /|_|\

Anagram
1 month ago#114
The Mirror Universe is so much fun, anything associated with it is great.

User Info: Seginustemple

Seginustemple
1 month ago#115
I can't stop laughing at ripped sleeveless Data that is great

User Info: ChichiriMuyo

ChichiriMuyo
1 month ago#116
I was laughing about the fact that nothing is really different about Troi. Still just there to show off some cleavage.
"The X-Treme lineup is annoying as all get-out in a fight." - NBIceman

Anagram
1 month ago#117
33. Beverly Crusher
“In the future, people will still dye their hair red. Look, shut up.”

Crusher is the defining “I’m here for the whole duration, and nothing interesting will be done with me ever” character of fiction, even though she misses season 2. Everyone else grows as a character, even if in negative ways, but season 1 Crusher and season 7 Crusher are distinguishable only through their haircuts.

They needed a doctor. Done. That’s why she’s in the show. It’s not to tell really interesting Beverly Crusher stories, it’s because the ship logically has to have a doctor and that doctor logically has to be a main character so the camera can zoom in dramatically when someone has medical problems. She’s a doctor and she’s a girl, so she gets the “caring” persona to contrast with everyone else. That’s probably all the thought they put into this character before casting her. I want to believe they named her Crusher because it’s so inappropriate for a doctor, but it’s probably just a coincidence.

60% of the reason Crusher is above non-characters like Sulu is that she does provide one very important use in the show: Picard treats her differently from everyone else. Crusher and Guinan are the only characters who can through Picard’s persona and get him to speak his mind, but Guinan is like this otherworldly immortal being while Crusher’s still a human on equal terms. She’s a satellite character, but at least she has the good sense to be a satellite for a much more interesting and important character.

Crusher also has one really killer episode, the one where people keep disappearing from the ship and only she remembers them, and she has to logically deduce what’s going on. That one episode of a tertiary TNG character puzzling out what’s happening to her friends is worth a million times more than all of the “I like sciences” of Discovery and Voyager combined. Very often, Star Trek doctors aren’t portrayed as particularly geniuses, and they’re just sort of smart compared to the Worfs and Tom Parises, but no – Crusher is a scientist and she should be able to figure things out in the same way as Spock or Data, just not as well. Those rare occasions when she gets to do stuff besides patch up wounds show so much untapped potential.

By the way, Crusher is my first TNG character to drop since Yar and Wesley. TNG has by far the strongest cast in the franchise and it’s not even close.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: NFUN

NFUN
1 month ago#118
haven't you only dropped Ron from DS9?
Thus is our treaty written; thus is our agreement made. Thought it the arrow of time; memory never fades. What was asked for was given; the price is paid

Anagram
1 month ago#119
NFUN posted...
haven't you only dropped Ron from DS9?
Spoilers: DS9 people are going to drop soon.

I'm actually uncertain of which series places better because Worf throws everything into a loop.

Anagram
1 month ago#120
32. Tom Paris
“Why yes, I do happen to have a fascination with 1990-2000 history, how did you know?”

I had to look up if his name was actually Thomas, I wasn’t sure if the writers bothered to give him a full name.

So I invented in my mind this idea years ago that Tom Paris was intended to be the Han Solo of Voyager. That in the show’s original pitch of two crews working together but barely, he was going to be a wildcard who would side with either crew and you’d never know his intentions, since he obviously wants to return home but is a felon with no real loyalty to either side. I have absolutely no idea if that was their actual plan, but I do know that my imagined Tom Paris is more interesting than the one we got. Again, I’m not sure if Tom Paris is this high because he’s genuinely okay or because his competition includes the likes of Neelix, but who cares? Aside from Seven of Nine, he’s the only human character on the show with any kind of pathos. Even though his motive is still just “I want to get home” like the non-Seven/Doctor characters, having that soiled past makes him inherently more interesting than most of the others.

Tom Paris actually gets quite a lot to do in the series, enough so that I’d say he rises above mere supporting character and into being an actual character. He has a wide variety of interests and skills that are consistently mentioned (compare this to Chakotay, who has a different hobby every episode) and round him out in a somewhat-believable way, if you can forgive his expertise on the time period Voyager was aired in and he has a little romance arc with Torres.

Because the show forgets about the Maquis/Starfleet drama immediately, Tom Paris provides the only actual inter-ship conflict, even if that conflict is just Janeway or Chakotay occasionally getting irritated at him. It’s actually one of the biggest missed opportunities in the show that everyone is willing to just accept Paris, too. There needed to be a solid season or two of everyone mistrusting him and Tuvok taking Janeway aside and being all “Captain, we can’t trust the safety of the ship to this guy” and her being like “We don’t have the resources to keep a guy in the brig for years, and we can’t dump him out into space, so I’ll give him a shot,” and Paris feels alienated in the school cafeteria while girls giggle behind his back and the principal threatens to expel him if he gets into one more fight, and eventually he has the chance to leave the ship and roam space on his own or something, but comes back and saves everyone at the last minute so they finally accept him. Instead, everyone is like “Well, we kind of don’t trust you, but you also want to get home, so whatever,” and Paris is just a normal crewman after three episodes. It’s the one time in Star Trek where everyone behaving reasonably makes things worse.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Eight Board-Eighters Rank Star Trek Characters
  • Post New Message