• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. another year of tabletop rankings and writeups

User Info: TomNook

TomNook
3 weeks ago#341
I love Blockus. It has a lot of strategy elements that you pick up the more you play it. Rushing to the middle and sectioning off stuff isn't always optimal. There is also a 2 player version with a slightly smaller board where you start in a different spot, which feels a bit more strategic and less chaotic, which can be good depending on what you are looking for.
Bells, bells, bells!

User Info: SeabassDebeste

SeabassDebeste
3 weeks ago#342
66. Tokaido (2012)

Category: Player vs Player
Genres: Set collection, point-to-point movement, point salad
Rules complexity (0 to 7): 2
Game length: 30-45 minutes
Experience: 3 plays over 2-3 sessions with 3-5 players (2017-2018, including online)
Previous ranks: NR (2016), 51/80 (2018)

Summary - Everyone is vacationing in Japan, traveling down the same path. On your turn, you can advance to any open spot ahead of you and take the action there - usually getting some form of card that will be worth points - as many times as you want, as long as you're at the back of the line. Once you pass someone, then the new person in the back of the line acts. A few times, everyone assembles to eat food.

Design - In 2018, I ranked Tokaido 51 and Takenoko 50. They probably do belong next to each other. Both Bauza designs, set in Japan, published only a year between one and another, and with a soothing, gorgeous design. And yeah, Tokaido's art is fantastic, with the aesthetically particularly nice on the panorama cards if you can assemble a full painting.

The downside, of course, is that Tokaido is also not the tightest design. It's perhaps a little overly punny to say that the design is straightforward, as you literally just move in a line. The decisions at most points are relatively limited, with the goal of victory points almost vague. It's definitely more one of those games that's about the journey than the destination, and that journey is a relatively calming experience. It's honestly pretty thematic in that sense - not a lot of tension in a nice trip through Japan.

Experience - Tokaido is probably a bit high because of my first encounter with it - I just wanted to try out the game when it was brought to our game night, and I learned it via the rulebook while the owners of the game were involved in a different game. Suffice it to say that given how much of the experience comes with the physical experience, my one time playing it online was... bad.

Future - I'm not sure Tokaido has too much of a future - it's not a two-player game, which means it's less likely for me to buy at this weight, and it's ultimately not interesting enough for me to clamor to bring to the table, either.
yet all sailors of all sorts are more or less capricious and unreliable - they live in the varying outer weather, and they inhale its fickleness
(edited 3 weeks ago)

SeabassDebeste
3 weeks ago#343
Naye745 posted...
i think ra definitely rewards skillful play, but you generally get to win some auctions and collect stuff regardless of skill - i don't think it's quite as painful as some of the more punishing euro games (both modern and old-school)
unless of course you get one of those wacky rounds where a bunch of ra tiles come out and everyone gets squeezed. those are both the best and worst, lol

oh, yeah. i guess my thing is, as you pointed out, the actual set collection is a little threadbare. you're not gonna look down at your board after a game of ra and go "aw yeah, i built a f***ing civilization"

Naye745 posted...
blokus is okay. its undoubtedly the most fun with four, but it cant help but feel a little random on whether people decide to crowd out your own territory or not.

TomNook posted...
I love Blockus. It has a lot of strategy elements that you pick up the more you play it. Rushing to the middle and sectioning off stuff isn't always optimal. There is also a 2 player version with a slightly smaller board where you start in a different spot, which feels a bit more strategic and less chaotic, which can be good depending on what you are looking for.

i think chaos in a game isn't the same as randomness. it can feel unfair since you don't have the control, but it's not really random - it's player-driven. IMO.

not surprised that there are better strategies than the straight rush - maybe if you let someone extend diagonally into you as you spread laterally, you can cross them? haven't played enough to experiment!

as for 2-player - pass! that's a chess-lite (or chess-extra) and those don't interest me as much.
yet all sailors of all sorts are more or less capricious and unreliable - they live in the varying outer weather, and they inhale its fickleness

SeabassDebeste
3 weeks ago#344
Great_Paul posted...
Ra is one I'm definitely interested in trying since I do like Egyptian themed games.

haha, fair warning - ra is a good game but it is very theme-light, outside of the way the tiles look

User Info: Naye745

Naye745
3 weeks ago#345
the "god tiles" are actually different egyptian gods, so there is that

tokaido looks nice, but ive never played it
it's an underwater adventure ride

User Info: Great_Paul

Great_Paul
3 weeks ago#346
Tokaido is cool and one that I would use for less-experienced gamers. Though otherwise I really preferred to use the first expansion because it gave an alternate option at each location so there was more strategy.
Bear Bro
So, confirmed Santa's #1 helper is a squirrel.

SeabassDebeste
3 weeks ago#347
Naye745 posted...
tokaido looks nice, but ive never played it

doubt it'd be up your alley!

Great_Paul posted...
Tokaido is cool and one that I would use for less-experienced gamers. Though otherwise I really preferred to use the first expansion because it gave an alternate option at each location so there was more strategy.

yeah, it strikes me as a nice, rules-lighter game you can easily get to the table, more than a gamer's game. i guess the expansion making it more gamer-y is another similarity to takenoko!

User Info: Maniac64

Maniac64
3 weeks ago#348
So the library in the city I just moved to has board games that can be checked out. Picked up Takenoko and look forward to finally trying it and some other games.
"Hope is allowed to be stupid, unwise, and naive." ~Sir Chris

User Info: SBAllen

SBAllen
3 weeks ago#349
Tokaido is fun to play exactly once, then it's just a shallow game with very pretty art and theme.
"Um, let's face it, you'd be better off staying at the Hilton."
http://facebook.com/GFAQS | http://twitter.com/GameFAQs

User Info: Peace___Frog

Peace___Frog
3 weeks ago#350
I've enjoyed Tokaido but haven't pulled it out for much serious play in a while. It's primarily, again, more of a "hey this group isn't SUPER into tabletop so let's pull out something that isn't going to make their heads spin and has a quick setup and expansion".

I do really like the way it changes the turn-taking paradigm, I'd say it's worth going through it just for that even if it weren't pretty.
~Peaf~
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. another year of tabletop rankings and writeups
  • Post New Message