• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. MLB Offseason Topic
Emeraldegg posted...
I just want to say, that Mike Fiers is being lauded as some sort of whistleblower, I don't take him seriously one bit and he's not some hero for this. He only brought it up in the first place because it served his new team's interests, he didn't do it out of some desire to see cheaters brought to justice. He was just as willing to cover it up until it benefitted him most.

Whatever his reasons were for coming forward are irrelevant. It was the right thing to do. If you don't want to praise him for it, that's fine. But he also shouldn't be treated like crap for his decision. Like being called a snitch and the like.
Ah, yes, the Negotiator: General Kenobi
<sneaky beeping>
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: WiggumFan267

WiggumFan267
1 month ago#162
Beltran's niece just tweeted that Jose Altuve and Bregman wore devices that buzzed on their shoulder

Yes that's actually her and she also tweeted Beltran was fired before it happened.

https://twitter.com/Jomboy_/status/1217886556263940098?s=19
~Wigs~ 3-Time Consecutive Fantasy B8 Baseball Champion
2015 NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPION NEW YORK METS

WiggumFan267
1 month ago#163
GeneralKenobi85 posted...

Whatever his reasons were for coming forward are irrelevant. It was the right thing to do. If you don't want to praise him for it, that's fine. But he also shouldn't be treated like crap for his decision. Like being called a snitch and the like.

Fiers should be criticized for the last part emerald said. Waiting until he wouldnt take damage from it. If this bothered him morally why not say it was happening when it was happening? He clearly wanted to win a ring and then "come clean". Its the fact he waited until it was most beneficial for him
WiggumFan267 posted...
Fiers should be criticized for the last part emerald said. Waiting until he wouldnt take damage from it. If this bothered him morally why not say it was happening when it was happening? He clearly wanted to win a ring and then "come clean". Its the fact he waited until it was most beneficial for him
Maybe. We don't know what was going through his head at the time. I can't imagine any person in his position would have said anything in the midst of the Astros run to the World Series.
<sneaky beeping>

User Info: Emeraldegg

Emeraldegg
1 month ago#165

I also agree with that last bit, I believe both can be true. He definitely does not deserve to be called a snitch, and it's the people who are doing that who are all about "gamesmanship" and stuff that I believe to be garbage not just in baseball, but in sports. Play fair, and follow the rules. You are right, all in all he did still come forward, which was the right thing, but it absolutely does matter to me if you do the right thing for the wrong reason. Perhaps we just disagree on that. He doesn't deserve hate for coming out with it, but he also doesn't deserve to be treated any better than any of the other players.
I'm a greener egg than the eggs from dr. seuss
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: KCF0107

KCF0107
1 month ago#166
WiggumFan267 posted...

Hey if were gonna fire beltran over this, fine. So you think all the other mlb teams should discipline their involved players too right?

I'm not sure that is possible. I believe that all players who cooperated were given immunity by MLB, so the question is if a club can punish a player for what they did under those circumstances.
KCF can't actually be a real person but he is - greengravy
If you smell what the rock is cooking he's cooking crap - ertyu

Emeraldegg
1 month ago#167

Maybe. We don't know what was going through his head at the time. I can't imagine any person in his position would have said anything in the midst of the Astros run to the World Series.

Him, or anyone for that matter, being unwilling to do the right thing (because yes, to me outing this stuff while it was happening, regardless of the consequences, would have been the right thing) that no one else is also willing to do, doesn't make that person innocent. It just means they're all guilty.
Emeraldegg posted...
I also agree with that last bit, I believe both can be true. He definitely does not deserve to be called a snitch, and it's the people who are doing that who are all about "gamesmanship" and stuff that I believe to be garbage not just in baseball, but in sports. Play fair, and follow the rules. You are right, all in all he did still come forward, which was the right thing, but it absolutely does matter to me if you do the right thing for the wrong reason. Perhaps we just disagree on that. He doesn't deserve hate for coming out with it, but he also doesn't deserve to be treated any better than any of the other players.
Fair enough. This is an issue baseball fans are pretty passionate about, so you can understand why he's being given such high praise.
<sneaky beeping>

WiggumFan267
1 month ago#169
It seemed like a calculated ploy to me. To come out when he did to deal the most damage. He clearly had ulterior motives and while coming out was right, waiting 2 years to do so is not very altruistic.

Btw in the end I will eventually be ok with this beltran thing because on a personal level I was not fully comfortable with having a manager who had cheated but I just think this was totally unprofessional from MLB, the Mets, the media to wrap the Mets up like this, not to mention Beltran himself.

And he wasnt my top choice for manager anyway so whatever. The most infuriating thing as a base all fan is the cheating. As a Mets fan, it's that the media forced a bigger controversy than was necessary. All that ws needed was "we stand by him". It turned into a s***show. Maybe that was inevitable
(edited 1 month ago)

Emeraldegg
1 month ago#170
KCF0107 posted...

I'm not sure that is possible. I believe that all players who cooperated were given immunity by MLB, so the question is if a club can punish a player for what they did under those circumstances.

I imagine that depends. If they were actually told they were going to be immune to everything, then probably not. But if all MLB said was "We, the league, will not punish you" that would lead me to believe clubs could take their own course of action.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. MLB Offseason Topic
  • Post New Message