• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. ~~SephG's decennial "Best of" topic: the 2010s!~~

User Info: Giggsalot

Giggsalot
2 weeks ago#131
There's no early 90's equivalent to Post because there was no sing-rap monogenre back then. It's a new sound.

But Post is barely a rapper and his music is pop first, R&B second and hip-hop a distant third. To hold him up as emblematic of modern rap is mad, and the only good comparison across eras can be to someone who was similarly outside of respective rap circles back then like the guys I mentioned.
And if you don't know, now you know.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: Nelson_Mandela

Nelson_Mandela
2 weeks ago#132
Giggs would it be fair for me to say that I just don't like the general sound that the plurality of music artists are taking in the 2010s?

I am totally with you that it's annoying when 30-somethings try to say that "music sucks now." But I look at the album/song of the decade lists in publications vis-a-vis the same lists from the 90s and 00s, and I just can't bring myself to say that they're equal.

FWIW I feel the same way about the 1970s (generally).

I'm sure you can always pull out exceptions but, hey, this is a topic where I am supposed to be making sweeping generalizations!
"A more mature answer than I expected."~ Jakyl25
"Sephy's point is right."~ Inviso

User Info: Mr Lasastryke

Mr Lasastryke
2 weeks ago#133
Giggsalot posted...
But Post is barely a rapper and his music is pop first, R&B second and hip-hop a distant third. To hold him up as emblematic of modern rap is mad,

i'd say his music is hip hop (at least his first two albums). it's just modern trap/R&B-inspired hip hop. a lot of mainstream hip hop sounds like his stuff now.

for someone who attacks sephy and me for "not being dialled in to the contemporary hip hop landscape," you seem to have a surprisingly conservative view of what hip hop is. right now, you're kinda sounding like the people who went "LOL THAT'S NOT JAZZ" when miles went electric back in the day.
Geothermal terpsichorean ejectamenta

User Info: neonreaper

neonreaper
2 weeks ago#134
jazz more like j***
Donny: Are they gonna hurt us, Walter?
Walter: No, Donny. These men are cowards.

Giggsalot
2 weeks ago#135
Nelson_Mandela posted...
Giggs would it be fair for me to say that I just don't like the general sound that the plurality of music artists are taking in the 2010s?

I am totally with you that it's annoying when 30-somethings try to say that "music sucks now." But I look at the album/song of the decade lists in publications vis-a-vis the same lists from the 90s and 00s, and I just can't bring myself to say that they're equal.

FWIW I feel the same way about the 1970s (generally).

I'm sure you can always pull out exceptions but, hey, this is a topic where I am supposed to be making sweeping generalizations!
Of course! All of this is subjective anyway, and I'm not a huge fan of the prevailing popular music trends of the decade either.

I do think everything's so crazily accessible these days that it's a slight irrelevence - you can almost always find what you want in 2019 somewhere - but I was never trying to stand here and say anyone's personal tastes were invalid.

Giggsalot
2 weeks ago#136
Mr Lasastryke posted...
i'd say his music is hip hop (at least his first two albums). it's just modern trap/R&B-inspired hip hop. a lot of mainstream hip hop sounds like his stuff now.

for someone who attacks sephy and me for "not being dialled in to the contemporary hip hop landscape," you seem to have a surprisingly conservative view of what hip hop is. right now, you're kinda sounding like the people who went "LOL THAT'S NOT JAZZ" when miles went electric back in the day.
I wasn't trying to attack anyone, sorry!

And I dunno, I actually don't dislike Post but for me what he's doing is as close to some bland pop like Maroon 5 as it is to Travis Scott or Young Thug.

P. S. Those guys might have had a point! I prefer electric Miles overall but On the Corner is basically a funk record and Jack Johnson always felt like blown out blues rock to me.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: Mr Lasastryke

Mr Lasastryke
2 weeks ago#137
Giggsalot posted...
I wasn't trying to attack anyone, sorry!

fair enough. for the record, i won't act like i'm a contemporary hip hop connoisseur - because i'm not - but i don't have to be, because the thing i was talking about was mainstream contemporary hip hop...? it just came across as a pointless jab, is all.

P. S. Those guys might have had a point! I prefer electric Miles overall but On the Corner is basically a funk record and Jack Johnson always felt like blown out blues rock to me.

well, jazz snobs were already saying that about him as early as the b****es brew era.

perhaps on the corner is not a pure jazz album, but i'd say it's definitely jazz fusion. to say it's a funk album completely devoid of any jazz influences is pretty ludicrous to me.
Geothermal terpsichorean ejectamenta

User Info: Nelson_Mandela

Nelson_Mandela
2 weeks ago#138
Seeing the lighthouse tonight my dudes
"A more mature answer than I expected."~ Jakyl25
"Sephy's point is right."~ Inviso
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: Seginustemple

Seginustemple
2 weeks ago#139
neonreaper posted...
jazz more like j***

Believe it or not this is where the term 'jazz' actually derives, it's southern slang for j***um

(I'll post more savory thoughts after class, lot to discuss to in this topic)
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: MetalmindStats

MetalmindStats
2 weeks ago#140
Nelson_Mandela posted...
I guess it's like how I enjoy "mainstream" arthouse movies but I'll never watch super indie stuff that doesn't get wide releases.

Hopefully Embrace of the Serpent being so high on my otherwise mainstream 2010s list is enough to get you to consider it at some point.
"I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people who do."
You won the CBX Guru Contest, Advokaiser! Bully for you!
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. ~~SephG's decennial "Best of" topic: the 2010s!~~
  • Post New Message