• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Final Fantasy XIV Topic

User Info: ChaosTonyV4

ChaosTonyV4
4 months ago#31
I don't remember what server I was on, but I was a tank in the level 30 range.
Phantom Dust.
"I'll just wait for time to prove me right again." - Vlado

User Info: trdl23

trdl23
4 months ago#32
ExTha, if you've played MMOs before, which role do you like -- Tank, melee damage, ranged damage, or healing?

Barring that, just pick whichever one you like from classic final fantasy jobs.

Tanks:
Gladiator --> Paladin (sword and board; "thankfully my shield will protect me")
Marauder --> Warrior (battleaxe'em a question)

Melee DPS:
Pugilist --> Monk (everybody was kung fu fightan')
Lancer --> Dragoon (lances and jumps, with a nice dash of edgelord)
Rogue --> Ninja (50% more daggers and 100% less hand jiving than Naruto)

Ranged DPS:
Archer --> Bard (bow and arrow; sadly, no smacking people with lutes)
Thaumaturge --> Black Mage (you cast the spells that make the people fall down)
Arcanist --> Summoner (Why dps yourself when you can outsource it?)

Healer:
Arcanist --> Scholar (Summoners who get sick of their teammates being idiots and dying all the time)
Conjurer --> White Mage (Both act and look like a special snowflake! Big fat heals though)

These are the classes --> jobs that you'll have initial access to before getting to level 50, which then provides a few more options to pick up if you are ready for a change. A couple of notes:

-I think you need to hit level 15 in another class before you can start as a rogue?
-Arcanist does branch into two different jobs. Because of the weird way EXP works in this game, EXP you get as a summoner will also translate to leveling up scholar, and vice versa! This is the only instance in the game where this happens though.

Don't feel married to whatever you pick first if you don't like it. Changing your class is as easy as equipping a weapon of another class, once you have access to it. Each class and job does have its own unique questline and side story, of varying quality. I main Monk and have been pretty happy with mine. Dark Knight is widely regarded as the best, but that isn't open until you get into the first expansion.
E come vivo? Vivo!

trdl23
4 months ago#33
I picked up the Sophia mount from the Irregular Tomestones right before the patch hit. It’s friggin awesome. Almost worth grinding Toto-Rak so many times to level up my PLD...
E come vivo? Vivo!

User Info: Dantezoid

Dantezoid
4 months ago#34
I did Toto rak like 100 times for relic weapon light like a year ago

And somehow I still find galvanth the dominator charming
Boring and mundane signature informing you I'm on a Droid
Now with more bold! Less italics due to bold.

trdl23
4 months ago#35
This came up in another topic so I’m going to put it out here:

We have a lot of people who haven’t gotten through ARR content yet, so mark your darn spoilers.

Best to say (Heavensward spoiler), etc. so people know how far they need to be in the story to click it safely.
E come vivo? Vivo!

User Info: HeroDelTiempo17

HeroDelTiempo17
4 months ago#36
trdl23 posted...

Arcanist --> Summoner (Why dps yourself when you can outsource it?)

I will say the standard summoner complaint in that it actually is not what you'd expect from the standard FF summoner. The pet management aspect is kinda bad and it's more of a dot class. You have smaller summons that you kinda let poke the enemy as you "charge up" your two bigger summons. But you don't get the big summons for a long time.

Not necessarily bad but not what people expect.
DPOblivion was far more determined than me.

User Info: HeroDelTiempo17

HeroDelTiempo17
4 months ago#37
The Nier raid dungeon is really cool but I'm crushed I have to wait 6 months for the second part.

The actual story portion of it was surprisingly light. Usually raid storylines don't get interesting until the second portion but I guess I was hoping for a bit more meat since Yoko Taro is involved.
DPOblivion was far more determined than me.

User Info: red13n

red13n
4 months ago#38
The first portion of the alliance raid storyline usually doesn't contain much. Expect a larger introductory quest to the second.
"First thing that crosses my mind: I didn't get any GameFAQs Karma yesterday." Math Murderer after getting his appendix removed.

User Info: SomeKindOfJoke

SomeKindOfJoke
4 months ago#39
Cleared the new extreme trial. It's ok but there's an absurd amount of downtime that really drags it out.
What is this, some kind of joke?!
Go, then. There are other worlds than these.

User Info: Nrrr

Nrrr
4 months ago#40
80 GNB/ 79 SMN, started the new patch content but didn't get far yet.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Final Fantasy XIV Topic
  • Post New Message