• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Raetsel continues listening to music, V2

User Info: UF8

UF8
5 months ago#21
Oh yes, and
Fluttershy_Pony posted...
...I have no idea what that was.

Correct
(edited 5 months ago)

User Info: Fluttershy_Pony

Fluttershy_Pony
5 months ago#22
Celeste - Confronting Myself: 9. As soon as I saw the Celeste thumbnail, I thought "Wow, I hope this is either Confronting Myself or something similar to it". And it was! This song hits a lot of the right notes for me; it's got that computerized and artificial type sound I like, there's static in places, some vocal distortions (yes, I know I don't usually like vocalizations that aren't lyrics; my love of static & distortions like skipping audio trump any negative feelings about the repeated hey-ya vocals), very much my thing.

I feel it's been popping up in a lot of VGM related contests lately though. I'm not burned out on the song yet, obviously as I was happy to see it again, but it's definitely not new.

Phyrnna - dU5k M3Igb VkgN Wsxbg: I don't know. My reaction to this is so all over the place that I feel like awarding it a non-numerical score of some type. Something starting with an "Sp" sound...Spartchy? Splotchy? Splorky? Something like that.

The intro sounds slightly glitchy--not glitchy enough for my tastes, but a good attempt--but then it kinda goes to that thumping sorta dance music style that I rarely like, then it becomes retro-gaming at 2:18, then back to dance-y, then back to an outro that is more like what I wanted to hear when the song started.

...Yes, splotchy. This is a very splotchy song. I'm not entirely sure what that translates to.

Let's see...I think I'll save the remaining Virtual Idols for another day (I enjoy them, but 12 in one sitting--14 if we're counting my revisiting Ruri's ECHO and the original version of that one song--is enough for one day). I also marathoned a bunch of game music yesterday (and plan on going back to the rating topic after I post this), so I think I'll hold off on instrumental tracks... that puts Yasuhisa Watanabe & FRUMS on hold.

I suppose random Sleeping With Sirens songs are next then?

*checks the top songs on Spotify*

"Better Off Dead", huh? Probably another suicide track, but it might be the right level of sadness.

Sleeping With Sirens - Better Off Dead: 7; yeah, suicide is a bit too far on the sadness scale. Catchy song though, will likely get stuck in my head and it's close to what I wanted.

Sleeping With Sirens - If I'm James Dean, You're Audrey Hepburn: 6.5 to 7. Metal love song...good, but I don't feel it does enough to really distinguish itself from other love songs and it kinda pales in comparison to "You Kill Me (In a Good Way)".

Ehh...don't really feel like an acoustic ballad, so let's skip the song named after Roger Rabbit (also, you don't want to promise me cartoon bunnies in a title and then not have anything to do with them in the song, so let's just not even waste our time clicking on it. Or at least save for it a different day, if nothing else).

Well, might as well go for the #1 ranked song on Spotify.

Sleeping With Sirens - Leave It All Behind: 7-ish? It feels a lot like a slightly worse version You Kill Me; like "I'll be your hope when you are hopeless, together we are not alone" is just a more basic version of "I'll hold you close and show you you're not broken".

Of course I like it; I mean, it's a band I apparently like delivering the messages I like in the musical style that I like, but it feels like it's covering a lot of the same ground.
A not very secret alt account for when Raetsel wants to be a pony

Fluttershy_Pony
5 months ago#23
...eh, fine, we'll go with the not-actually-rabbit-related song. We have to get it out of the way eventually, right?

Sleeping With Sirens - Scene 2: Roger Rabbit: Somewhere between 8 and 9. This is actually really close to greatness.

So listen close to the sound of your soul
Take back a life we lived once before

That line is pushing some buttons of mine that nothing else in either topic has... (well, actually, I suppose "Past Lives" kinda did). I have a bit of a thing about reclaiming who you once were and what not... though this is more about rekindling love than actually being about that, the line is just close enough...

...fine, take the full 9.

Okay, now to go catch up at the VGM topic.

UF8
5 months ago#24
Oh yeah while I'm thinking about it

https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm35701588

Also oops i forgot i had one comment on
Fluttershy_Pony posted...
Fuji Aoi - Get Wild

(it is a cover of a(n extremely) 80s anime opening, so yeah). Incidentally she's one of the many to do a better cover of That's Why I Gave Up On Music with more faithful visuals than Nomu/YuNi. Her covers of ECHO and Hated By Life Itself are reasonably up there too.
(edited 5 months ago)

UF8
5 months ago#25
https://youtu.be/3ghKacUpikE

(due in 5 hours)

animare got hit hard by another blatant and horribly covered up firing a couple of weeks ago, so it's just ichika and two others now. I doubt they'll last for much longer, sadly, but at least they're going out on a good note with stuff like this.
(edited 5 months ago)

Fluttershy_Pony
5 months ago#26
Ultimate Weapon Girl (Trance Bootleg) - 5. I love the original version of the song, but I don't know if I like trance music... can't say I've heard much of it (that I know of), but this is taking a very cute song and making it more dance like; song I love converted to a style I don't care much for kinda evens out to average values.

君と未来 (the song that just came out) - 6? It's nice, but it doesn't inspire a reaction beyond "above average anime type song".

And now, let's go over to...Kaf's songs for a bit. I've been rather dreading this part, as I'm going to inevitably compare to the song that won and there's not much hope of anything standing at that level. Still, there's always a chance of finding something?

Kaf - Ito: Unscored. I don't know right now... it's a bit too angry in general, but that last verse could hit me pretty hard if I was in the right mood... I'll try to come back to this after listening to the others.

...YouTube wants to play Devour the Past next and I like that title, so I'm going to bounce to it first.

Kaf - Devour the Past: 8.4, though I think we're all better off if I don't explain right now.

Kaf - First, Second, and Sixteenth Video: It is a bit nice to see the buildup to Baby Bird, but after listening to the whole song so many times, going back to 11 second teasers...doesn't have quite the same impact it would have if I'd been around from the beginning.

Kaf - Shinzo to karakuri: 8 and I'm getting the feeling I shouldn't be marathoning these types of songs in rapid succession like this...

Kaf - The Witch: 5; not entirely sure why, but I didn't feel much of anything from this song.

Kaf - Just forget about it: 7. I wish the song ended with the black screen at 2:47. That bit was, by far, the most impactful moment of the song--probably of any of the Kaf videos I've watched tonight to be honest.

"You wouldn't understand "love" yourself. Afterall, you're the one who killed it for us." *silence*

I really don't think the song needed to continue after that. Just leave it on the black screen for a while, give time for the weight of that line to properly crush the listener. Still...good song either way, I suppose.

Kaf - Yoru Ga Furiyamu Maeni: Dunno. Somewhere in the 8 to 9 range, probably.

Kaf - Hated by Life Itself (Prayer ver.): Probably in that same 8 to 9 range.

I should say more on some of these songs (and go back to that first one, but I'll do that another night), but my head's all fuzzy now and I'm gonna...go listen to Dancing Mad for 17 minutes at the other topic, apparently.

Will finish the FRUMS songs tomorrow for a change of pace.

Fluttershy_Pony
5 months ago#27
Frums - Turnstile Jumper: 4.3-ish. I can definitely hear what they were going for, but what they were going for is less interesting to me than their more chaotic offerings.

Frums - XNOR XNOR XNOR: 7. The issue with long songs divided into multiple distinct parts is that I'll inevitably like certain parts more than others, which messes with the whole scoring system.

Favorite part is probably a 30 second stretch starting at the six minute mark. It's all buzzy and staticy and beepy; then some other instruments come in and it loses much of its effect on me, for whatever reason, but those 30 seconds were almost perfect.

Frums - UMBRA, RADIOLOGOS.: 6.8 ; it's good, naturally, but doesn't feel quite...unsettling enough for Gaster.

Best part comes in around 3:21. It feels like falling into an ocean of darkness... love the atmosphere it creates, but it doesn't stick with that vibe for very long.

Frums - ultra-blazures: Somewhere between 6 and 7. Good, but no specific moments really jumped out to me. It was like "yes, I am listening to another Frums song alright, that is a thing I am doing tonight". Which is more enjoyable than how I spend most nights, but didn't inspire much of a write-up or reaction.

Let's see where I left off on the VTuber Snubs section of the topic...

Hoshimiya Gumi - 好き!雪!本気マジック: Probably around an 8. Cute song, cute voice.

Hoshimiya Gumi - 猫のキモチ: 2. I know, I know: "But you love cute characters and cats, you are obligated to like this!!"...but...it's just so slow and sleepy. Like a lullaby, only not as cute as an actual lullaby. It's like an overflow error--you know when you raise a value above its max and it resets to 0? This song is like that; cute voice, cute song, cute concept, cute musical style, and at some point it exceeds 255 and reverts to a negative value of cuteness.

Sophia Code and Lyra Editor's last song: 7; nice song in all aspects. I have no complaints about the singers, the music, or the lyrics. Just not one of my absolute favorites, so it probably falls at a "notably above average" level like a 7.

Fluttershy_Pony
4 months ago#28
Did a lot of VGM at the other topic last night, so back over to this one for a bit.

YuNi - Color of a Clear Voice: 6. There are some lyrics I like and she still has a decent voice, but something about the backing music isn't working for me at all tonight. Not sure what.

YuNi - Winter Berry: 5.6. Well I don't particularly like winter (I love rain and dislike the cold, so a season where it is too cold to have rain is kinda antithetical to my existence), or overly happy songs, so a bouncy song about happiness and winter is...not likely to get a higher score than this one did. It's fine, I don't dislike it or anything, but...yeah.

YuNi - Utaoyo, Utaoyo: 6. Not bad, would probably grow on me with a few more listens.

YuNi & Hibiki - Karakuri Pierrot: 6, though I found myself wanting YuNi to go away because I prefer Bunny Hat Girl. </.<

YuNi - Destination: 5.3-ish. It's fine, no particular reaction to any aspect of the song or lyrics.

Fukuyamaster - Winter Berry: 5.61. I don't normally like adding an extra digit to ratings, but I needed a way to accurately convey "I like him more than YuNi" while also conveying "but not to a point that it has much of an effect on the score, this song isn't really going anywhere no matter who performs it" and that little number was the fastest way of saying it....though I still explained it anyway...

Fukuyamaster - Sugar Song and Bitter Step: 5.5. I still like his voice, but didn't get much out of the song on a first listen.

UF8
4 months ago#29
It's never cold enough to have no rain where i am lol (it's also rarely that hot either)

Also, I'm impressed you've actually whittled down my link spam down to just... I think 16 songs? All before the original topic even gets removed.

Speaking of...

Regarding Kaf, I cannot iterate enough how worthwhile that stream of her "One Man Live" concert was. If you have several hours to spare, I absolutely recommend checking it out.

Also the anniversary stream i mentioned turned out to be a disappointment, with nothing of note regarding her coming out of it besides some fashion line (seriously). That said, there was one notable reveal.

https://youtu.be/Ud9oEj5I_S4 new vtuber. notKaf Rime.

Fluttershy_Pony
4 months ago#30
Just two songs tonight; got a very late start working on things and new episodes of She-Ra are out, so I'm probably going to watch at least the first episode tonight. More songs tomorrow.

Takanashi Metro: Very cute voice, but the song isn't one of my favorites. I'll go with a 6 for now. Feel kinda bad that the song only has 15 views... like, I know it's a new release, but oof.

Mituki Neu: Too happy for me at the moment, but I'll go with a 6 here too.

I know it's a false sense of accomplishment, but since a post only had those two songs in it, I can say "I ranked every song in a post" and pretend that was more significant than it actually was.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Raetsel continues listening to music, V2
  • Post New Message