• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. I'm playing in my first Fire Emblem draft soon.

User Info: turbopuns3

turbopuns3
1 month ago#1
I've never heard of this until recently, when a friend brought it up. We're starting in about a week or so.

For those who don't know, a Fire Emblem draft works like this:

-You get a few people together
-You have a list of all the playable characters in the game
-You take turns "drafting" characters onto your team, until all the characters are gone (if numbers don't work out evenly, you either ban a couple characters or just leave the worst ones as undrafted)
-Everyone starts a new file, and is only allowed to utilize the characters they drafted
-All lords are available to all characters
-Whoever advances farthest in the game without a game over wins.
-No resets allowed.

Typically you play on the highest difficulty, to minimize the chances of ties, but regardless there are tiebreakers in place such as fewest turns, most money, etc.

Anyone have any advice on this? Or any experience?

I'm doing FE7, Hector Hard Mode with 4 people. So we all get the 3 lords plus 10 characters.

Obviously, Matthew is insanely valuable. Beyond that I think probably Serra and Priscilla gotta be up there.

User Info: Hbthebattle

Hbthebattle
1 month ago#2
Try to get a strong lategame prepromote like Pent or Harken to carry you through later maps without difficulty
If you can't get someone like Serra or Priscilla, rush a mage like Lucius to promotion
Patience.

User Info: tcaz2

tcaz2
1 month ago#3
no game overs instead of turn count huh

That seems pretty easy to me if you have a lot of FE experience considering you can basically solo the game with certain characters.

turbopuns3
1 month ago#4
tcaz2 posted...
no game overs instead of turn count huh

That seems pretty easy to me if you have a lot of FE experience considering you can basically solo the game with certain characters.

Literally solo, though?

As in like, no character who isn't on your roster is allowed to do anything, period. No rescuing. No meat shields. Etc. If they get into combat at all, it's a loss. The only exception is that you can use a chatacter who isn't on your roster in order to recruit characters.

User Info: xp1337

xp1337
1 month ago#5
I did a FE7 draft once but the ruleset was different. Win condition was lowest turn count.

If you're going survival, hmm. Matthew would definitely be an asset if he's not granted to all (I think he was in the draft I did...or maybe that was just for the first map, I forget) It's probably obvious but be mindful of recruit conditions - drafting someone like Guy or Raven thinking the HHM bonuses will help you can be a wasted pick if someone undercuts you by drafting the character(s) needed to recruit them (unless you have worked out some agreement or system to avoid this.)

Edit: Oh you just covered that.

Marcus probably has some good utility here. Agreed with grabbing a late pre-promote like Pent or Harken.
xp1337: Don't you wish there was a spell-checker that told you when you a word out?
(edited 1 month ago)

turbopuns3
1 month ago#6
One thing I considered was how picking someone like Canas is risky because of the no reset rule with limited roster. If you fail the sidequest objective, you just...can't recruit him.

What other characters come from sidequests?

User Info: Xuxon

Xuxon
1 month ago#7
xp1337 posted...
Marcus probably has some good utility here.

that's an understatement. he shoudn't even be draftable - either all or none, because if only one person got him they have such a huge advantage.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxkdr0uNc91qlu5jao1_r1_400.gif

User Info: Mewtwo59

Mewtwo59
1 month ago#8
Yeah, most drafts I've seen have had the Jeigan be free. Though in this game it'd probably just mean everyone solos with Marcus until they get their lategame prepromote to carry them through the end.
""Love" is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope." HK-47

turbopuns3
1 month ago#9
Oh by the way, we're doing an auction draft.

So, everybody starts with $100.

We randomize a player order. On your turn, you pick a character to put up for auction and you automatically bid $1. (So that you can't put up a s***ty character nobody wants unless you're willing to give one of your 10 slots to them.)

So, it's like a balance. Maybe you drop $80 on Matthew, but then the rest of your team will suck.

Many layers of strategy.

turbopuns3
1 month ago#10
Not actual money.
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. I'm playing in my first Fire Emblem draft soon.
  • Post New Message