• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. deo listens to Classic Sonic level themes for the first time and ranks them

User Info: banshiryuu

banshiryuu
3 weeks ago#1
Hello, and welcome to this silly little ranking that I'll be doing over the next few weeks or so! I am in no way, shape, or form a Sonic fan, but I do like VGM a lot... and if you know me well, that might be an understatement. Thanks to the Best OST Contest I hosted that just wrapped up, I've been devoting a lot of my time recently to actually listening to entire OSTs, which is something I haven't normally done ever before. I wanted to go through a series' complete discography, preferably a series I had little familiarity with beforehand, and Sonic was the perfect fit for that.

Well, Sonic has a lot of games... and a lot of music. So we're cutting it down a bit here.

For this ranking, I listened to every single zone level theme from every "Classic Sonic" 2D platformer for the very first time and ranked them. Yes, the very first time. I can tell you exactly three songs I had heard before this ranking and could tell you what they sound like from memory: Green Hill Zone, Star Light Zone, and Chemical Plant Zone. That's it... Yeah. But now that I've done this, I'm familiar with a good amount of what the series has to offer, and I thought it'd be interesting to show other people who have known these songs for years what someone who is just coming into the series thinks of these classics! Below I'll list the games and number of tracks that are included in this ranking. Note that only 2D platformer games that utilize the "classic pre-Sonic Adventure" character designs will be included so as to keep this project to a manageable size.

· Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis; 7 tracks)
· Sonic the Hedgehog (Master System; 6 tracks)
· Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis; 14 tracks)
· Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Master System; 7 tracks)
· Sonic CD (JPN/PAL) (Mega CD; 28 tracks)
· Sonic CD (USA) (Sega CD; 21 tracks)
· Sonic Chaos (Master System*; 8 tracks) *Plus Gigapolis Game Gear
· Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble (Game Gear; 7 tracks)
· Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Genesis; 17 tracks)
· Sonic & Knuckles (Genesis; 12 tracks)
· Sonic & Knuckles Collection (PC*; 6 tracks) *Using FM versions
· Knuckles' Chaotix (32X; 8 tracks)
· Sonic Blast (Game Gear; 5 tracks)
· Sonic Mania (Switch/PS4/XONE*; 28 tracks) *Plus Angel Island
-
Total Tracks: 174

For a complete listing on what will appear, check this pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/2vLcfxnr

banshiryuu
3 weeks ago#2
So that means we should also go over what is not included that might not be so obvious:
· Special/Bonus Stages in general.
· Sonic & Knuckles Collection music that is not original to the game. Every song would just get a straight downgrade pretty much so it's not worth it.
· Sonic Chaos Game Gear tracks that are slightly different. (Turquoise Hill, Sleeping Egg, etc.) Gigapolis is a completely different song, so it is still included.
· Tails Adventure is skipped over as it felt weird for me to have "area themes" in a ranking of "level themes" because of the Metroidvania-like nature of the game. Spoiler alert: it won't be missed that much. Sorry.
· Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure, Sonic Advance, Sonic Rush, Sonic 4, etc. are not included as they use the "modern Sonic" design.
· Tails' Skypatrol, SegaSonic the Hedgehog, Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Drift, Sonic R, etc. are not included as they are not 2D platformers in any way.
· Sonic Generations and Sonic Forces are not included despite having "Classic 2D platforming sections with Classic Sonic" because using only a piece of a soundtrack is dumb.

Scoring was based on a normal 10-point scale while actually judging tracks, but the score presented in the list will be on a 100-point scale, with a weighted average of the lowest scoring score receiving a 0, and the highest receiving a 100. To give a rough idea of how this list originally stacked up, my lowest song got a 3.7 and the highest an 8.8.

-

This is just a silly little thing I'm doing for the heck of it so feel free to just swing by whenever and tell me your thoughts on some things I had posted, or even just cheer on your own favorite songs! It'll be cool to see if some of my highest ended up being hidden gems with a cult following.... or if I end up blowing out some fan favorites. We'll see!!
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: LeonhartFour

LeonhartFour
3 weeks ago#3
I am hyped

Classic Sonic music doesn't get enough love around here
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/080/145/638.png
https://i.imgur.com/WqDcNNq.png

User Info: dowolf

dowolf
3 weeks ago#4
Tag
Nonsense. "Testing" is for when you're still guessing--and now, I have no need to guess. -- Agatha, Girl Genius

User Info: Grand Kirby

Grand Kirby
3 weeks ago#5
Interesting... I'm looking forward to it.
Okay, I rolled a 14. What's that mean? Hsu
That you're a cheater. This is a 12-sided die. Chan

User Info: foolm0r0n

foolm0r0n
3 weeks ago#6
tagbanshiryuu posted...
Sonic Generations and Sonic Forces are not included despite having "Classic 2D platforming sections with Classic Sonic" because using only a piece of a soundtrack is dumb.

Disagree but tag
_foolmo_
2 + 2 = 4

banshiryuu
3 weeks ago#7
Alright, let's get 'er started!

-

174th: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Death Egg Zone (Part1)
Composer: Masato Nakamura
Score: 0/100 (3.7), Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (14/14)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtyMbS_KtIk

I'm honestly kind of shocked that this song is actually a Sonic game song and not a Sonic bootleg song. The major on minor stuff certainly helps this song achieve its goal of "insane clown goes on a happy little murder spree" but it is not done in an appealing way to me at all. I'm a big fan of FM in general, even the most ear-piercing of sounds, but that bass is both piercing and boring so it ends up not winning any points for itself at all. The Simon Wai prototype uses the Ring sound effect for the arpeggiating stuff and that's hilarious and unironically better than the final product.

-

173rd: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Wing Fortress Zone
Score: 14/100 (4.4), Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (13/14)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBw_mtXrA4g

And the song preceding the absolute madness of Death Egg Zone is something just as crazy right? Maybe a little more subdued? Nope, it's a boring march song. Oh. This sounds more like it should be a song for "Raining on Christmas Day Zone" or something, it's a very odd half-triumphant half-defeated feeling and does not work that well at all.

-

172nd: Sonic the Hedgehog - Final Zone
Score: 24/100 (4.9), Sonic the Hedgehog (7/7)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBnxEXsQnpI

Wow, Nakamura really just didn't know how to get that endgame feeling down huh? The intro just blares right into existence as the Pokemon Red/Blue unused song and just starts going with... whatever is happening here. It's definitely a step in the right direction over Wing Fortress (or well... I guess rather, he took a step back) cause this song has a consistent "take charge and move forward" drive to it, but instead of moving forward the melodies kinda overtake each other and fight each other and push each other off course until they realize they've gone so off course that they completely stop and restart the loop?? Like seriously that loop is kinda whack. Anyway, still pretty boring, but it's got... something there. I think.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: dowolf

dowolf
3 weeks ago#8
man, wing fortress is so good in-game.

also poor Final Zone :(
Nonsense. "Testing" is for when you're still guessing--and now, I have no need to guess. -- Agatha, Girl Genius

User Info: LeonhartFour

LeonhartFour
3 weeks ago#9
Yeah, I've always really liked Wing Fortress, but I think that's a minority opinion.
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/080/145/638.png
https://i.imgur.com/WqDcNNq.png

User Info: Grand Kirby

Grand Kirby
3 weeks ago#10
Those songs were great when I was 5 and on the edge of my seat in the endgame.
Okay, I rolled a 14. What's that mean? Hsu
That you're a cheater. This is a 12-sided die. Chan
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. deo listens to Classic Sonic level themes for the first time and ranks them
  • Post New Message