• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Oh hey i'm being sued

User Info: Punnyz

Punnyz
1 month ago#41
oh wait isnt' @Snrkiko a lawyer or something
https://i.imgur.com/qBpLe47.png
http://i.imgur.com/25MHSn1.gif

User Info: Snrkiko

Snrkiko
1 month ago#42
i am but not really this kind of lawyer.

from my general, non legal experience, what people are saying above are about right. debt collectors are shady af and will go after claims even if they are past the statute of limitations or generally bs, just to see what they can collect.

Don't talk to the collector. you're not going to jail. in the possible event that they push this further in court (default judgment, if anything), you can probably find a lawyer that does this stuff for a free consultation. alternatively you can post on /r/legaladvice and see what they have to say (but take everything with a grain of salt).

im not your lawyer, etc.
...Snrk.
And theeen, we do stuff like, 'Persona!' with our Personas and beat the crap outta Shadows...

User Info: SantaRPidgey

SantaRPidgey
1 month ago#43
if you call them, claim you have no money, and then ask if there's an amount you can pay to avoid this, they'll most likely give you a substantial discount, the company that has your debt probably paid like 10 dollars for it, so anything above that is profit for them.

if you do agree to pay it, DO NOT PAY with credit card, they'll just charge as much as they can and fight you in court so it's not worth the challenge. You can use a visa gift card or send them a check with return service requested.

I used to have debt back in the day, but it's all gone now because of monsters like this. Use this as encouragement to never use credit again.
wird

User Info: ChaosTonyV4

ChaosTonyV4
1 month ago#44
SantaRPidgey posted...
if you call them, claim you have no money, and then ask if there's an amount you can pay to avoid this, they'll most likely give you a substantial discount, the company that has your debt probably paid like 10 dollars for it, so anything above that is profit for them.

I should remind you not to do this until everything has been verified as inside the 4 year timeline.

Once you acknowledge you owe the debt or offer to pay, the statute of limitations resets and your chance at getting out with zero payments OR credit hit goes out the window.

In the situation where they hit your credit and then it's determined you're outside of the statute, assuming you haven't reset the timeline the credit bureaus will remove it for you, so don't despair and agree to anything beforehand.
Phantom Dust.
"I'll just wait for time to prove me right again." - Vlado

User Info: SantaRPidgey

SantaRPidgey
1 month ago#45
Oh yeah you're right Tony, I'm just living in a world where I would pay them money to not have to deal with due process, Pun I think is not of that world.
wird

User Info: Punnyz

Punnyz
1 month ago#46
ChaosTonyV4 posted...
If you can prove they never made an effort to contact you, you can get the fees and credit hit removed, even if it was your fault the original payment didn’t get made.

Source: It happened to me a few years ago, and when I asked for proof they made attempts, they canceled they never provided it and instead canceled the entire debt, which made my credit jump by like 150 points.

@ChaosTonyV4 can you tell me how this conversation went?
https://i.imgur.com/qBpLe47.png
http://i.imgur.com/25MHSn1.gif

ChaosTonyV4
1 month ago#47
It was actually over email. I’ll copy and past the email that kicked it off:

Good afternoon,

My name is Tony D'Ambrosio, and I'm writing about the debt letter I was sent in the mail. This is an error, as I have no outstanding balance with Lewis University.

Please let me know what I have to do to get this taken care of without anything added to my Credit Report.

They didn’t actually respond to me for 2 months, at which point it popped up on my credit report and I emailed again, including this letter again and asking for documentation as what the basis was and saying I needed it removed.

They replied that day and told me it was closed and that I needed to contact Experian/Equifax, which I did through the Credit Karma app and they did their investigation and ended up taking it off.
Phantom Dust.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Corrik7

Corrik7
1 month ago#48
All that means is you contested it, and they didn't respond to the inquiry.

They don't have to show anything for the debt trying to collect to take it off.

It took me 4 times contesting and help from Obellisk on here to finally get an old Best Buy Credit Card debt from my father that was bought out by someone else in New Jersey before they finally removed it for not being my debt off my credit report.

If you owe the money and you contest it as not yours when you know it is, that is probably in some way fraud.

That said, they are looking for a default judgment against you. They don't even have to prove that you received the summons for it, just that there was an attempt to send it to the address on file. Default judgments like this are actually pretty shady.

That said, the easiest thing to do is call up who owes your debt and see if you can work out a lowered amount to pay it off as an agreement. Depending on the amount and whether they file against you, you could just also let it fall off your report after the time of reporting. (In this case, they already did file though).

Skipping the date is the worst move you can do, so if you can't work it out then make sure you show up for it.
Xbox Live User Name - Corrik
Currently playing: Division 2

ChaosTonyV4
1 month ago#49
Uh it’s worth noting that the Lewis University debt I talked about actually WAS valid, but it had been seven years and as far as I know, literally never contacted me, with New Mexico’s statue of limitations being six years.

I just straight up denied it existed and because it was past the time limit they couldn’t do anything about it.
Phantom Dust.

User Info: Corrik7

Corrik7
1 month ago#50
ChaosTonyV4 posted...
Uh it’s worth noting that the Lewis University debt I talked about actually WAS valid, but it had been seven years and as far as I know, literally never contacted me, with New Mexico’s statue of limitations being six years.

I just straight up denied it existed and because it was past the time limit they couldn’t do anything about it.
Yeah, after 7 years it doesn't get reported anymore or shouldn't have been on your credit reports.
Xbox Live User Name - Corrik
Currently playing: Division 2
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Oh hey i'm being sued
  • Post New Message