• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Survivor Island of Idols/BB21 Discussion - Rob and Sandra are conspiring b****es
Espeon posted...
I DON’T care about the integrity of the game, so long as it results in a more entertaining season.

in other words

"Rigging is okay, but only if it helps my favorites. Otherwise, no!"

sounds casual
BlueCrystalTear | GNT BB4 Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner
3DS 4356-4163-4781 | (((FREE HUGS))) | You're living your own life. You're you.

User Info: Mewtwo59

Mewtwo59
3 weeks ago#42
Oh, so all the Ben stuff was fine then, because it gave us a more exciting endgame.
""Love" is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope." HK-47

User Info: Underleveled

Underleveled
3 weeks ago#43
Mewtwo59 posted...
Oh, so all the Ben stuff was fine then, because it gave us a more exciting endgame.

It didn't though. It gave us the boring endgame that the producers desired instead of a Devon/Christy/Ryan F3, which made sense as a conclusion to the story that had been built since the very first episode, and in which, even though one person had a pretty clear leg up, any of the three could have plead their case and stood a shot.
darkx

User Info: Peridiam

Peridiam
3 weeks ago#44
Yeah, Inviso, I know. You enjoy a rig as long as it's entertaining. I prefer no rig at all, as it undermines the entertainment, the core value of the entire show. Different values there. I mean, I still loved the Jeff DE, it was fair and square, but the before and after was tough to swallow.

I just can't see myself being on board for riggage, lapping up spoiled milk the producers believe is good for us and the show. Similar to your take on Probst, my take is that Grodner gets in her own way and doesn't care, or even believe it. And it's hurt the value of the show over the years. There's not enough time in the world to settle for (what I believe to be) less. But I still love what the show was, and there's still numerous traces of it now... But overall, I just want to put the milk back in the fridge where it used to be.
http://i.imgur.com/6Lra0Xf.gif
http://i.imgur.com/fZbEYu0.gif
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: Espeon

Espeon
3 weeks ago#45
If anything, BB11 was the changing point, what with Jessie in the cast, dominating, and then Jeff getting the Rig d’etat. But that’s a good season too!
Inviso's Most Adorabl-est Eeveelution Ever
http://i.imgur.com/SSw6M9E.gif

User Info: Mewtwo59

Mewtwo59
3 weeks ago#46
Underleveled posted...
Mewtwo59 posted...

It didn't though. It gave us the boring endgame that the producers desired instead of a Devon/Christy/Ryan F3, which made sense as a conclusion to the story that had been built since the very first episode, and in which, even though one person had a pretty clear leg up, any of the three could have plead their case and stood a shot.

It was better than the slow march towards the inevitable Devon/Chrissy/Ryan Final 3 we would have gotten had Ben not found any idols. Now he should have gone out at 4, but the endless idols made what would've been a steamroll more exciting
""Love" is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope." HK-47

User Info: Underleveled

Underleveled
3 weeks ago#47
Okay, that's like the 8th time I've called Chrissy "Christy"
darkx
Yeah, I don't like rigging. It ruins the core human elements that make Survivor and Big Brother so appealing and instead puts a focus on these grandiose moments that feel artificial. I much prefer seasons where there's less focus on one moment and more focus on depth of character. I can't be entertained by something that's advertised as an exploration of the human core when in reality it's artificially inseminated by the producers.

Grodner's attempts to create a "game-changing twist" really does make the Houseguests leave their strategies at the door - and the overall narrative suffers from it. The twists more often than not get in the way of entertainment and instead make it some dumb nonsense that justifies immunity from eviction for doing nothing. Peridiam, you explained it all very well in that video, so I'm not going to rehash any of it. I found myself agreeing with pretty much every one you listed being either a waste of time or an undermining of the game. One thing I do hope comes back is a weakened version of Ovi's power, with it applying to only ONE nominee and having to be played on a person before the nomination ceremony. Grants complete safety, but must be played without knowing who the final nominations are, and will only apply if correct. This should be hidden in the house proper, so anyone can find it.

In Survivor, Probst rigging it for his bros like he did with Ben is bad for the show because that's not entertaining. Watching someone find idols left and right is not fun. Watching someone's tactics of diplomacy to keep themselves alive is. That's what the game was meant to be, but what it's turned into is a twist-fest that's barely recognizable, and someone who hasn't watched since Cambodia will be baffled as to what they missed the show turning into. That's because production cares more about 2:3 swaps and other rubbish that only artificially shakes up the game on a very temporary basis. Time and time again, alliances get based on original tribes, so why not force those tribes to stay together for 19 days like it used to be? I'm getting close to the point where I'm apathetic enough about Survivor's future to stop watching it entirely, and that can be rectified if S41 is a Tocantins-like "back to basics" season where there's two tribes of 9, no swap, three total idols, no bonus advantages, merge at 11, jury of 9, final 2. That would be much more fun.
BlueCrystalTear | GNT BB4 Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner
3DS 4356-4163-4781 | (((FREE HUGS))) | You're living your own life. You're you.

Espeon
3 weeks ago#49
BlueCrystalTear posted...
Espeon posted...
I DON’T care about the integrity of the game, so long as it results in a more entertaining season.

in other words

"Rigging is okay, but only if it helps my favorites. Otherwise, no!"

sounds casual

I guess everyone on the “integrity” bandwagon hates Pearl Islands, then?

Espeon
3 weeks ago#50
Also, something that’s probably not coming across properly:

I’m NOT a fan of producer rigging on Big Brother (Or Survivor, but we’re talking about Big Brother in regards to BB13). But the rigging in BB11 or BB13 doesn’t bother me like, say, BB19, because ultimately the rigging didn’t damage the overall season. Rachel may have won BB13, but she was in no way the producers’ pet, and all their more prominent pets got taken out by one of the most unlikely collections of newbies imaginable.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Survivor Island of Idols/BB21 Discussion - Rob and Sandra are conspiring b****es
  • Post New Message