• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Magic the Gathering topic - SOMEBODY ONCE TOLD ME edition

User Info: trdl23

trdl23
2 months ago#1
Throne of Eldraine is the only set for which I have preordered two boxes in years. Adventure is such a great mechanic. It’s making me put Crystal Shard back in my Cube.

In other news, Stoneforge Mystic is free from her shackles, WotC did the unthinkable and admitted the f***ed up with Hogaak, and they murdered Faithless for good measure. Modern looks like it could be a playable format again. I won’t make the plunge myself because my grinding days are over, but I hope this will be a rare time when all Constructed formats are decent-to-great.

What I have been playing is a lot of Pauper, and man is this format great. My brew even got featured on ChannelFireball recently! It’s in a stage where the metagame is established but not so rigid that brewing is oppressed. If you get a chance to play it in paper, seriously, give it a whirl.

WotC is kinda crapping the bed when it comes to organized play, but the cards themselves are good. No more need to bribe people to play Standard. I will be judging my local Pauper $1k tournament in a couple weeks and the Professor from TCC will be playing, so if it ends up streaming, I will probably post it here.

How’s everyone else doing? I haven’t been here in quite a while so I don’t know how many of us are still around.
E come vivo? Vivo!
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: The Mana Sword

The Mana Sword
2 months ago#2
hello hi I am still here

Eldraine looks decent, though I'm not as into the flavor as I expected. Modern is good again finally (although Ancient Stirrings still needs to be banned), but I am happy I can finally play Stoneforge again even if I don't actually think she's that good.

Also I played at the MC in Barcelona over the summer and did really poorly, but rebounded by top 16ing the GP, so it evened out.
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Gylgamesh501.png

trdl23
2 months ago#3
Damn dude, nice results! I’m sold hook line and sinker on Eldraine flavor-wise. Feels way more like older MtG where the designs and world were the main focus, and while the story was certainly there, it wasn’t forced into everything. Consider how almost all of Kaladesh and Amonkhet blocks were centered in one city each, albeit for very different reasons. And, of course, the alt art for most of the cards is lovely.

I do hope Stirrings gets stamped out to boot, but I understand why they couldn’t kill it in this go-around because they didn’t have the data to justify it lately. Even Stirrings decks were being snapped like twigs before Hogaak.
E come vivo? Vivo!

User Info: BlackDra90n

BlackDra90n
2 months ago#4
I'm pretty excited for Eldraine, there seems to be a lot of solid cards this expansion. Fabled Passage seems kinda neat, especially since it's standard legal, and Drown in the Loch is gonna be so strong.
http://psnprofiles.com/Drayxs

User Info: The Mana Sword

The Mana Sword
2 months ago#5
Given all the incidental graveyard stuff in the past few sets, I'm expecting Theros to have some graveyard mechanics (in addition to the obvious inclusion of devotion). I'm a little more excited for that because any chance of flashback returning is a reason for me to get hyped.
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Gylgamesh501.png

trdl23
2 months ago#6
I’m expecting Theros to have graveyard mechanics just based on the “Beyond Death” in the set title.
E come vivo? Vivo!

User Info: BlackDra90n

BlackDra90n
2 months ago#7
There's some graveyard stuff in Eldraine too so it would kinda flow well as well.
http://psnprofiles.com/Drayxs

User Info: Glenn_and_Toad

Glenn_and_Toad
2 months ago#8
The completely unassuming card that will benefit from a favorable limited this time around is...

Shepard of the Flock.
SC2K13 Bracket: Kefka hate hate hate hate hates my bracket!
Oracle: Team Frog and Magus

trdl23
2 months ago#9
That’s the Rescue dude, right? Getting to dodge a kill spell / wrath and rebuy your adventurer seems pretty gross. I love it.

Full spoiler dropped today, though we already knew most of the stuff already. Surprisingly few vanillas or French vanillas in here — most of them have adventures attached.
E come vivo? Vivo!

User Info: Leanansidhe

Leanansidhe
2 months ago#10
I'm extremely hyped for Eldriane. This is also the first box I've preordered in awhile, because I love the flavour.

Also because I've moved from a remote rural community to a big city where I can actually play paper magic again! I broke my piggy bank to buy Wrenn and Six for my modern Jund deck to celebrate. I'm gonna go to a prerelease, it'll be just like old times.
Lea
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Magic the Gathering topic - SOMEBODY ONCE TOLD ME edition
  • Post New Message