• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. How many prizes can I win at the fair?

User Info: HaRRicH

HaRRicH
1 month ago#151
Bottle Up -- day nine of ten.

Buddy and Duwana are there -- again, they appear aggrieved when I arrive. You know the pattern pretty well by now -- call me Mr. Green, ast like they don't want me to play but will then encourage me to give demonstrations and encourage me to come back when there's a bigger crowd, etc. -- but there was a fun moment during this.

A dad and two boys of his were playing the game, and the older of the two boys was doing better than the other two people. Now, sure, he was holding the string and breaking the one-hand rule so he could get the ring onto the bottle more quickly...but he had the lift and push pretty well, which is kinda hard for someone his size. I tried to coach him a bit about how to keep the rod pushed forward, but I stopped after a bit because I needed to be mindful of a balance here. I would have loved to help this kid win, but also I would have felt bad about this coaching opportunity pressuring his dad into spending significantly more money than they intended in pursuit of this tough game for beginners. I give him a few pointers and try to show by example a few good steps to take, but I realize I'm doing this at the risk of appearing like a plant or something and step away. Similar situation with another woman wearing tiedye -- try to show a few pointers and advise a moment, but it's not my moment they're playing with and I want to be mindful for them in that way too.

So, I get asked to come back later and I oblige -- I'll help them in that way and I recognize I'm playing both sides a bit on this issue. I don't mind showing people it's possible and encouraging people to play the game and win, but I also don't want to white whale anybody. There's a line here somewhere.

Anyway, I take a little walk around and talk to other local vendors and game-runners to pass a little time.
O P E R A T I O N O U S T : Nominate SHEIK!
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/ssb/images/0/0d/Sheik-Victory3-SSB4.png
Maybe you mentioned it earlier but is there like a weekly pass for the fair or have you been paying $10 a day every day to go?

HaRRicH
1 month ago#153
ShatteredElysium posted...
Maybe you mentioned it earlier but is there like a weekly pass for the fair or have you been paying $10 a day every day to go?

Thank you for asking -- this was a learning opportunity I forgot to mention a day or two ago when it was mentioned to me.

Yes, they do have passes. I never knew these existed before, so no I do not have one -- it has cost $10 per day for most days, with the exception of the time one of the people at the entrance gave me a $3 coupon to discount my entry. I asked them when they sell these passes and they didn't have a clear answer. I asked them how much it would cost and they didn't have a clear answer for this either.

But I want one next year.

HaRRicH
1 month ago#154
Here are a few people I spoke with in my little stroll:

There's the guy who ran Break the Bottle.-- you know, throw baseballs at upside-down beer bottles and win a prize. This guy looked as callous as a guy cleaning broken glass all the time should look, but I got to talking with him and he's alright. I see he keeps a tarp on the ground and I ask him if that helps him clean each night, and he's like oh yeah. Good idea. I was going to play to try to win a Squirtle plush -- miedium-'ish in size, eighteen inches tall or something -- but that counts as a large prize and I know I ain't getting it. I ask about these little plush flowers nearby if they count as the small prizes, and he says nope -- large. I ask him what the small prizes are, and he points to a blue tub full of book covers -- BOOK COVERS. Plain, green, wordless, humorless book covers wrapped up like they're Pop Tarts. I was already done at this point, but then two kids came up and one of them paid for one throw. The kid hit a bottle pretty good, enough to spin the bottle around and lift it up from its holder for a split second...but it didn't break. The kids walked away and so did I.

There's the guy who promises kids 99 years old and younger are guaranteed to get a prize...already forgot what the prize was, but I didn't want it and I didn't want to pop enough balloons with darts to win the Sonic toy either. He was telling me he used to work the Big E, which is supposed to be one of the biggest fairs in the nation. By my memory of his description, basically it hosts 2,500,000 people when it's around since it's basically an epicenter for a lot of the northeast states at once. Sounds pretty rad!

There's the guy and woman running that air-rifle-shoots-out-the-red-star game. The woman compliments my Mega Man religion shirt but she's working harder so I'm mainly talking with the guy. He's new to the game and has been running it three weeks. I ask him if anybody won so far today and he says a kid won earlier today. I ask him how many people have won in the three weeks he's run it and he acts like he's counting in his head before saying twelve winners. I watched that video about carnival game scams -- I don't trust this guy for a second. I ask him if these pellets hurt and he tells me yes. I ask him if they could kill me and he shrugs. "Maybe, if it hits you in the Adam's apple." I tell him I ain't getting involved then since I have a big Adam's apple . We laugh and I walk away.

There's the guy who has you throw balls at three blocks standing up on each other. He offers me a free throw and then he takes about a minute to explain his suggestion of the best spot to throw -- between the bottom and middle block -- and how I shouldn't throw too hard to keep my toss manageable. I throw once -- drilled the top block. He gives me another throw and I knock those bottom two off. He's emphasizing how easy this is, but during this time he's also adjusting the blocks in a way that I don't think was very natural of the blocks. It's hard to describe...but okay, I get if you rotate the bottom block that the above blocks will rotate too, but something about the way they rotated, wobbled, and returns to their same place in a slightly-weird way made me not trust it. He tells me it's $5 to play and I say I'm good. His face drops to a skeptical scowl and goes "Oh, of course." Boo this man, boooooooooooo.

HaRRicH
1 month ago#155
There's the new guy who replaced Jury for a night at Toss the Ball in the Bucket. We talk a second but really I don't remember the conversation so much as the kinda-sorta-teardrop mark on his face -- I can't tell if it's an inmate's tattoo or a birthmark.

There was another game of throwing darts at balloons to win. I'm mainly noting this game because the woman running the game was the cutest of the women I've seen running games that were in a fairground uniform here..Aaaaaaaaye.....

There's the guy running the cork gun shoot-out game. This guy was my favorite of the night. Allan drives trucks for the fair and this is just his third day running a game. Basically, you fire corks at beaten up cans -- some move, some don't, and you get bigger prizes if you hit a popsicle stick-looking thing instead. He's excited to be out here and he seems to like the prizes he's got -- there was a decent-looking Joker plush that would have been fun to win. My aim with guns are worse than me drunk with a thumb on a waterhose, so I ask him dumb questions awhile. "Do you need a gun license to play this?" "Does the Second Amendment forever guarantee my right to play this game?" "Things like that. Eventually, I tell him I'm gonna see if I can win a prize but I'll try to be back.

HaRRicH
1 month ago#156
We're back to Stand the Bottle. I pay, I win a prize my first try, whatever.

I've eyed this sloth all week -- it's one of my favorites, but also it's the smallest prize there. I finally caved in though and got it.

New thing I noticed from this evening: like Duwana did the other night about swinging the bottle around, Buddy can straight-up spin the bottle around to do 360s. What?! I spun it successfully for a 180 once before standing it. They also play a lot faster than I do, and while I can go faster I'd rather be safe with my money -- it's why my accuracy's roughly the same as theirs. Still, these people are good in some ways this game doesn't allow them to show. If they were playing this 180-version of the game, I wouldn't be having this topic right now. Whew!

I go back to Allan at the cork-game and he laughs. I try to hit something and fail on all counts. He throws a snake my way for playing -- a tiny one, not like the other three monsters I've won. I guess everybody gets a prize at this game.

As I'm leaving for the night, one kid went "WHOA, COOL SLOTH!" and asks where I got it. I tell him and his friends know about Bottle Up, and he asks me if it's actually possible to win. Uh, yeah, you see my sloth brah? I take it further and show him all the prizes I've won at it this past year. They're stunned. I leave saying "Give it a shot if you want to!"

HaRRicH
1 month ago#157
TONIGHT IS THE LAST NIGHT

What's left to do guys, help me out. I might have some people with me this time.

User Info: redrocket

redrocket
1 month ago#158
Time to show off by winning while imposing some silly handicap on yourself.

Make sure you throw out some line about only using 1% of your power before.
It's like paying for bubble wrap. -transience on Final Fantasy: All the Bravest
(edited 1 month ago)

HaRRicH
1 month ago#159
I'll tell you an idea I had but didn't prepare properly for and would have been too hot for.

I have a fat suit I've wanted to use for something for years. I wanted to shave and use the suit to see if I could fool them into thinking I was a new player. However, I'm pretty sweaty just carrying these animals and I would have been soaked or dead if I wore that here. I'm not making my friends or an ambulance carry me back like that.

But it would have been sweet for a picture.

HaRRicH
1 month ago#160
redrocket posted...
Time to show off by winning while imposing some silly handicap on yourself.

Make sure you throw out some line about only using 1% of your power before.

Good calls. I've decided on a handicap: I'm gonna do it while balancing on one foot.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. How many prizes can I win at the fair?
  • Post New Message