• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Diplomacy interest gauging topic (board game - online version)

User Info: turbopuns3

turbopuns3
3 weeks ago#1
What is this thread about?

I recently fell into the hobby of the board game Diplomacy and I have nobody local to play with consistently so I'm trying to start up an online game or two so that I have people to at least share the interest with.

Anyone here ever played before? Interested in playing online?

What is Diplomacy?

Diplomacy is an area control/world domination board game (similar genre to Risk, minus all the dice).

Similarities to Risk:

-world domination
-moving pieces around a map based on the real world
-every man for himself

Differences from Risk:

-way less numbers/dice, way more interpersonal negotiation.
-at its core it's a social game. Tactics and strategy are secondary (but essential). Ideally everyone is convinced you're their ally, but when it comes down to it, you WILL have to backstab people in order to win. (a.k.a promise you will help them then...don't...or worse, attack them directly)
-no dice, period.
-no randomness, period.
-no more than 1 piece/army can occupy a space at a time. So you win not by accumulating an overwhelming force but by persuading your neighbors that it's better for them to team up with you to kill the other guy as opposed to teaming up with the other guy to kill you
-no downtime (you're never sitting around waiting for "your turn"...everyone's moves are processesed simultaneously)

How much commitment is involved?

Not a lot.

The flow of the game is in "seasons". A season just means you have X amount of time for diplomatic negotiations (a.k.a "talking to the other players") and at the end of each round, you submit orders for each of your pieces defining how and where they will move.

Example: If I'm France, my first season orders might say:

Army in Paris moves to Gascony
Army in Marseilles moves to Spain
Fleet in Brest moves to Mid-Atlantic Ocean

How many players?

Exactly seven.

Each player will control one of these countries:

England
France
Germany
Russia
Italy
Austria-Hungary
Turkey

How long will it take?

Depends on how long we choose to make the seasons last. We can agree on any arbitrary amount of time. 12 hours? 24 hours? 48 hours? 72 hours? For online play, there's no strict rule.

Could take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. But within each phase, you can discuss as much or as little as you want with the other players. It's not like mafia where if you don't speak for 24 hours you're messing up the game for everyone.

Board game online? How will we play?

There are a number of free websites that let you sandbox a board state and/or host friend games, for free. Might have to provide an email address at most.

I'm more interested in hosting/adjuticating than actually playing, at first, if it means getting people interested.

https://www.backstabbr.com/ is my personal favorite interface.

Other questions?

Ask!

User Info: Leanansidhe

Leanansidhe
3 weeks ago#2
in
Lea

User Info: FBike1

FBike1
3 weeks ago#3
in

if I get f***ing Italy again...
The Lego Movie 2 Videogame for GotD 2

turbopuns3
3 weeks ago#4
FBike1 posted...
in

if I get f***ing Italy again...

Italy was down in the meta for a while, but it's recently had a resurgence as players adjusted to knowing that it kinda sucked! Metas evolve, etc. Good stuff.

turbopuns3
3 weeks ago#5

User Info: ScareChan

ScareChan
3 weeks ago#6
hi
*Fastbreak Intensifies*
PSN TehScurr Switch friend code SW-5264-0547-1806

User Info: Eddv

Eddv
3 weeks ago#7
Put me down for an entry.

I will break you Scare.
Board 8's Voice of Reason
http://i.imgur.com/chXIw06.jpg

User Info: Shonen_Bat

Shonen_Bat
3 weeks ago#8
I expect to be hilariously bad at this but I don't mind giving it a try
Hello again.

User Info: IfGodCouldDie

IfGodCouldDie
3 weeks ago#9
Confirming in.
Mind post. XBL:Cyanide Sucker PSN:IfGodCouldDie IGN:SuperPattyCakes FC: SW-1615-6159-5504

User Info: IfGodCouldDie

IfGodCouldDie
3 weeks ago#10
@Corrik7 makes 7
Mind post. XBL:Cyanide Sucker PSN:IfGodCouldDie IGN:SuperPattyCakes FC: SW-1615-6159-5504
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Diplomacy interest gauging topic (board game - online version)
  • Post New Message