• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. College Football (NCAA) Discussion Topic

User Info: Leonhart4

Leonhart4
1 month ago#51
Well, it's my hometown college so that would he something at least
https://imgur.com/WqDcNNq
https://imgur.com/89Z5jrB

User Info: swirIdude

swirIdude
4 weeks ago#52
welcome to college football saturday
Advokaiser picked Cloud in Guru and rained on my bracket.
At least I finished 20th overall!
UCF only being 17th makes a mockery of the rankings. There is no way the majority of the 16 teams above them have looked better than them based off what we have seen so far.

User Info: jcgamer107

jcgamer107
4 weeks ago#54
I mean, so far they've blown out FCS Florida A&M, and Florida Atlantic. Doesn't exactly tell you a whole lot. Certainly if this stays a blow out they should move up some, though.
Official Advokaiser advocate
Right and teams above them have struggled against similar level of opposition. Teams are getting P5 rankings boosts before actually playing any P5 games
Prime example I can think of.

There is a 0% chance UCF are ranked above Michigan next week even if this result stays the same way. And there is no way on earth you can convince me Michigan have looked better in their 2 games against Middle Tennessee and Army than UCF have looked in their 3 games so far. By end of season sure that could and probably will be different. Based on what we have seen so far though? No way.

And I'm not saying it just because it's Michigan. There's been years before where Ohio State have looked dog s*** early on but because of the name we stay in the high end of the top 10 despite other teams looking better.

The way I view ranking is you should be judging the play on the field. Not conference, not future schedule but actual physical play that we have seen. If a team is struggling on offense or defense against lesser opposition then that should be reflected in the rankings instead of just going 'Oh well they won so keep them where they are'
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: jcgamer107

jcgamer107
4 weeks ago#57
I don't think anyone ranked above UCF has struggled against that bad of opposition. My guess is that Army's a good deal better than Florida Atlantic, for example. I do agree that voters are too hesitant to move teams down after ugly wins (and feel too obligated to drop teams a certain amount after a close loss to a quality team). Michigan should have dropped out of the top 10 after their first game, and especially after the Army game. I have Michigan 15th and UCF 16th, and will probably move UCF ahead of them barring a huge Stanford comeback.
Official Advokaiser advocate
I mean if you want a direct comparison. I watched both games and I would say that UCF looked better against FAU than Ohio State did. That's not a sleight on Ohio State and more speaking highly of Ohio State

I would also say Oregon have no business being above UCF based on Auburn's other result.

I'd say that Florida shouldn't be above UCF either because despite them beating Miami, we have seen than Miami aren't a good team (I.e. if we got UCF vs Miami, UCF would crush them).

Texas are above them based on a defeat to LSU which would be fair enough with a larger sample size but with the small sample size we have now, UCF should be above them.

Or I guess another that is confusing is Utah. Utah are higher based on what? People being hyped about them this year? Why? They haven't done anything on field this year to justify that and they also aren't coming off a strong record last year so it's not even like we can say they are returning a strong team from the previous year.

I could point out more if I wanted to dig deeper
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Jakyl25

Jakyl25
4 weeks ago#59
The point that Power 5 schools get much more benefit of the doubt than Group of 5 teams is pretty inarguable
Thank you, Eddie Guerrero.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DRlKR5nU8AA_v_C?format=jpg&name=large
Like for any other team I would say it would sort itself out during the season but for a team like UCF, this sort of early ranking discrepency is exactly what keeps them outside the hunt at the end of the season when it matters.

Their ranking isn't based on reality. It's based on TV/Money which is already BS but even more so when they won't let UCF into a P5 conference despite them deserving it both based on college size and sports performance.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. College Football (NCAA) Discussion Topic
  • Post New Message