• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Gauntlet Crew Ranks the Cowboy Bebop Episodes

User Info: JONALEON1

JONALEON1
4 weeks ago#111
Outlier

Wickle - 62
Stifled - 61
Johnbobb - 60
Karo - 49
Ermine - 47
Snake - 37
Inviso - 36
charon - 27
KBM - 26
Gen - 24
JONA - 16
scarlet - 16

Pretty funny how our top 5 outliers just go up by 1 here. The hyperspace chase for the top outlier continues with Wickle on top.
Advokaiser was wiser against all the other Gurus!

User Info: StifledSilence

StifledSilence
4 weeks ago#112
Gateway shuffle up and deal!
Bear Bro
The Empire of Silence
Kind of weird to have two consecutive episodes out in a row!
I've decided to put my fears behind me. I'm not going back.
https://i.imgtc.ws/2Q88rI4.gif - https://i.gifer.com/E07R.gif

JONALEON1
3 weeks ago#114
18. Bohemian Rhapsody
Total: 201 pts.

Karo - 4
Wickle - 8
Stifled - 12
charon - 17
scarlet - 18
Gen - 19
Inviso - 19
Johnbobb - 19
Snake - 19
KBM - 20
Ermine - 22
JONA - 24

Karo - The crew must unravel a mystery behind a series of hyperspace gate sabotage incidents and a mysterious old man known as Chessmaster Hex who may be behind them.
It is one of the better episodes, and tells a decent story with a good mystery behind it, even if Hex himself turns out to be disappointingly irrelevant.

Wickle - An episode that probably would be the best on this list if not for Ed. Ed’s ramblings were just obnoxious, but it was really cute seeing everyone doing their own thing just to lead to it becoming a chess game with an old man who ultimately died at the end of it. Heartfelt and a lovely story of the CPU from Chessmaster’s final game of chess. Also the previews for the next ep were hilarious.

Stifled - This one has a lot of layers, with the centerpiece being Ed’s chess game. I love that something simple played off as a background story turns out to be the key to solving the whole mystery. Any time Ed shenanigans are combined with bounty hunting, that’s a formula for success.

charon - Jet and Ed are good in this episode. I feel that Ed in general works best as a support character that doesn't become too much of a focus. Overall this is a humorous episode, featuring a villain who set a plan so long in the past that his age now just makes him a harmless old man who can only remember one thing, how to play chess. I will say that showing Hex's death was kinda odd because Jet basically gave up a ton of money to not divulge his current location. That basically just bought him 1 extra week, then again I guess it let him finish his final chess match so maybe it was more fitting than I'm giving it credit for.

scarlet - An episode that serves as somewhat of an intellectual exercise in terms of the crime being committed, there is a little less emotional resonance than previous episodes. A welcome breather, but not necessarily one that deserves accolades.
Rating: 78/100

Gen - I actually like this session quite a bit, I guess I just enjoy the ones above it even more. I love Edward's dynamic with the crew and with Chessmaster Hex- even virtually her personality seeps through! There were a lot of clever things done here, both within the plot itself and by the characters contained. To name a couple, Jet's planting a cigarette microphone, and Jonathan tailing Jet to get closer to the gate hacker while not letting on that his identity were both pretty clever; however, the most brilliant of all is that Hex set all of this in motion decades ago before he became senile. It's just like a chess player to think several moves ahead.

Inviso - I’m normally a huge fan of chess in general. It’s a fun game and plays well into fiction, as a means of building tension and pitting great minds against one another. But this…this episode just falls a little flat to me. The Bebop gang figures out who the chess master is a little TOO easily, and they explain away all the bad stuff he did by him being ancient and forgetting the plans he set in motion fifty years prior. Unfortunately, Edward playing a major role in the episode hurts it significantly. She’s just too annoying to deal with the bulls*** that comes from her playing internet chess with the old dude.

JONALEON1
3 weeks ago#115
Johnbobb - Most of the episode is pretty forgetable but Ed playing digital chess with a dying elderdly mastermind is one of the most adorable things I've ever seen in anime.

Mickayla's thoughts:
For someone who likes the little moments in movies that show immense amounts of humanity, this episode was absolutely one of my favorites. Edward is a gem.
10/26

Snake - It was nice to have a fun episode again after two episodes of intensity and dourness. The crew is back in somewhat high spirits, and the chess related plot is fun to follow along with if a little shallow. I like how the conclusion ended up really just being an old, senile man just wanting to play chess one last time, as the whole idea of a grand, ultimate revenge is washed away. I love the idea that simplicity ultimately wins out in the end.

KBM - Kind of funny but ultimately pretty inconsequential, this is a weird little story about a senile old chessmaster with a past. It adds a little bit to the lore, and it's one of the first times in the series Ed actually gets some interesting material to work with, but on the whole it's far from being one of the standout episodes of the series.

Ermine - Pretty boring filler for the most part. Could barely keep my interest throughout the episode and Ed was pretty annoying once again. Just couldn't really care less about this one...

4/10

JONA - A lighthearted episode that comes after the heavy two-parter of Jupiter Jazz. The episode starts with the gang getting bounties but they didn't get everyone so no money for them. I do like how the Bebop gang show more solidarity here with Spike, Jet and Faye talking all at once to Ed and them agreeing to share the bounty. The Bohemian Junkheap has a great, strange atmosphere and seeing Spike and Faye explore it was cool. It was fun seeing Jonathan go crazy after seeing Chessmaster Hex being senile. Ed's a lot of fun during her game with Hex. He has a pretty interesting backstory too. I like how Jet decided to not take any money for knowing the company's secret and that he looked out for Ed. Not my favorite episode, but still fun and entertaining.

Favorite Song: There weren't any original songs this episode but both Kabutoga ni kodai no sakana and Waltz for Zizi are great.

JONALEON1
3 weeks ago#116
Outlier

Wickle - 72
Stifled - 67
Karo - 63
Johnbobb - 61
Ermine - 51
Snake - 38
Inviso - 37
charon - 28
KBM - 28
Gen - 25
JONA - 22
scarlet - 16

Karo puts himself in a more advantageous position, but Chessmaster Wick stays on top.

JONALEON1
3 weeks ago#117
17. Sympathy for the Devil

Gen - 3
Karo - 5
Inviso - 13
Johnbobb - 14
scarlet - 14
Snake - 17
Ermine - 18
charon - 19
JONA - 22
Stifled - 24
KBM - 25
Wickle - 25

Gen - The first time I witnessed this session it kind of blew my mind that the kid wasn't really a child and that Zebra was the one Giraffe wanted to be helped. The context clues are all there though, on rewatch. I suppose it's this high because of those fond memories. Also because of Faye being desperate enough to eat dog food while still claiming she's refined and ladylike. Ha...

Karo - This episode contains the first real top tier antagonist the heroes go up against, a sociopathic immortal little boy who is a very evil yet sad individual.
The science behind the boy's lack of aging is a little sketchy (ok a lot sketchy), but it still remains one of the show's best episodes.

Inviso - First and foremost, I appreciate the fact that, for the most part, the animation for this episode felt crisp and on-point. The episode’s villain felt genuinely menacing, because the animation treated him as an evil little s***. Now granted, AGAIN, I feel like these episodes are too short for the level of depth and nuance they’re trying to cram into a single segment of runtime. Seriously, I get that most of these plots are “bounty fails, so Spike goes off on some new, morally-righteous mission”, but I’m not even entirely sure what exactly the point of stopping this kid/man was. So yeah, points for tone, but I’m still not a huge fan.

Johnbobb - The "dark evil child" archetypes are everywhere, and far too often they're handled poorly. Fortunately, that's not the case here, as Wen is terrifying. His backstory is brief but well done, and he has an intimidating presence that made him one of the most memorable one-off villains.

Mickayla's thoughts:
Honestly I don't remember this episode at all but John has it ranked high, so.
21/26

scarlet - I love Sympathy for the Devil because it staunchly defies our need to have every action motivated by some easy-to-digest reason or another. The idea that Wen may be the devil, or simply believe he’s the devil, is a great piece of a larger universe being fed to us in small amounts. Enough to digest, but not enough to truly understand the intricacies. The opportunity for the viewer to fill in gaps is always welcome in my estimation.
Rating: 80/100

Snake - I like the sense of intrigue surrounding this episode. I kind of predicted the twist that Wen was older than he appeared, but I wasn’t expecting the entire extent of it. His backstory is truly horrifying as is the image of him amongst his dead parents charred corpses. There are some issues with the episode, like the convienent memory machine that is used on Zebra to help propel the plot further, but otherwise it’s a solid mystery with good character moments.

Ermine - Faye sucks. Don't you eat Ein's food, you monster.

Anyways, episode was alright. Enjoyed the story for the most part but just felt a little lackluster. Not much to say... it was ok

5.5/10

charon - In general this is usually a cool concept. An antagonist that is immortal but then is basically aged to death. Wen is pretty creepy in this role and it was interesting to see a child, well what looks like a child, being shot at and killed. Pretty risky. The backstory is a little brief and murky but it's okay enough.

JONALEON1
3 weeks ago#118
JONA - The episode starts with a neat flashback of people working on Spike's eye. There's a humorous scene with Faye and Ein, with Faye telling Ein how he should get his own food and that she's delicate and proceeds to chow down on dog food. It's also funny later on when Faye is given an invoice from Jet and you just Ein walking past with a smile on. It's intriguing to only get a couple of pieces of the whole picture from Giraffe's conversation to Zebra and when Giraffe's dying from the window fall like Chad from accounting. It's revealed that Wen is the one actually in control and never stopped aging and is basically immortal. I like how Wen's outfit resembles Lupin III's outfit and it's neat seeing his backstory but not knowing the full details of it. I love the interaction between Spike and Jet and Faye when Spike's healing up to encounter Wen again. It's a small moment but I love saying Spike saying "I'm sorry" to Jet and Faye's way of showing concern about him. It shows how slowly but surely that the crew is getting attached to each other. The second encounter with Wen is cool with the fire imagery and imagery of him aging. Also, there's some neat foreshadowing with Spike taking the harmonica and throwing it up in the air and saying "Bang." The episode preview is pretty funny too.Not my favorite episode, but it's still intriguing and entertaining and has some neat small things in it.

Favorite Song: Digging My Potato

Stifled - Kids not being what they seem is a trope that pops up in anime from time to time. And it works to a degree here. The antagonist has a fairly interesting storyline. But sadly, this is one of the episodes I’m usually a tad bored during. I wouldn’t call any episode of Bebop bad, but this one is noticeably at the bottom for me. The one interesting thing that stands out after seeing the show in its entirety is the “bang” foreshadowing at the end of this episode. Wen died, finally feeling at ease and able to rest. Spike, at this time, doesn’t seem to know the feeling. But I think after he is able to finally conquer his past, he understands this feeling and thinks back to it.

KBM - This episode just left me absolutely baffled. A weird, underexplained, seemingly supernatural Immortal Child villain comes out of left field and is promptly forgotten thereafter. I couldn't make heads or tails of this one. It certainly seems as if part of the point of the episode was that some things don't need to be/can't be explained, and I can totally appreciate that as a story device, but sorry, I just wasn't feeling it here at all.

Wickle - Weird fantasy sort of thing where this kid could not age after a meteor hit his homeland and he survived by being under his father. His mind got all screwed up after he was tested on and… well, that’s about it. The episode brought nothing new to the table. The target they were after died before they could claim, and Spike shoots Selim Bradley. Just, was a little boring.
The Alfa Catch machine thing still bugs me.
I've decided to put my fears behind me. I'm not going back.
https://i.imgtc.ws/2Q88rI4.gif - https://i.gifer.com/E07R.gif

User Info: StifledSilence

StifledSilence
3 weeks ago#120
Oh yay we can finally say “bang” to that one.
Bear Bro
The Empire of Silence
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Gauntlet Crew Ranks the Cowboy Bebop Episodes
  • Post New Message