You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Gauntlet Crew Ranks 90s Horror Films - Do you like ranking scary movies?

User Info: Snake5555555555

Snake5555555555
4 weeks ago#1
Hello Gauntlet Crew and Board 8 alike, and welcome back to the latest installment of Gauntlet Crew Ranks! Collectively, we watched, ranked, and wrote-up 40 influential horror films from the 90s curated by myself, spanning all manner of sub-genres from slashers to sharks to the cerebral. As always, since this group isn't the biggest of horror fans in general, I appreciate everyone's participation and for giving these films a fair and open-minded shot! Following scarlet's sci-fi example, I will also be explaining why I chose these films in particular. I would like to see more future gauntlet crew projects do this too!

The fine people of gauntlet crew who participated this time are as follows: Charon, Genny, Karo, Inviso, scarlet, JONA, Johnbobb, KBM, and of course, myself!

And the 40 films we ranked:

Jacob’s Ladder (1990)
Misery (1990)
Tremors (1990)
Arachnophobia (1990)
Flatliners (1990)
Child's Play 2 (1990)
Nightbreed (1990)
The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Candyman (1992)
Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992)
Dead Alive/Braindead (1992)
Demonic Toys (1992)
Army of Darkness (1993)
Cronos (1993)
Leprechaun (1993)
Fire in the Sky (1993)
Wes Craven’s New Nightmare (1994)
In the Mouth of Madness (1994)
Cemetery Man (1994)
Interview with the Vampire (1994)
Seven (1995)
Species (1995)
Scream (1996)
The Frighteners (1996)
From Dusk till Dawn (1996)
Event Horizon(1997)
I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997)
Wishmaster (1997)
Cube (1997)
Anaconda (1997)
Mimic (1997)
Urban Legend (1998)
Ring(1998)
Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998)
Stir of Echoes (1999)
The Blair Witch Project (1999)
Audition (1999)
The Sixth Sense (1999)
Sleepy Hollow (1999)
Deep Blue Sea (1999)

I hope everyone enjoys the list and has a spooky-good time!
Listen, suffering is a fact of life. Either you learn how to deal with that or you go under.
https://i.imgtc.ws/2Q88rI4.gif

User Info: Inviso

Inviso
4 weeks ago#2
So many movies we should've forced Wickle to watch. :P
Touch fuzzy. Get fuzzier.
Inviso

User Info: PrinceKaro

PrinceKaro
4 weeks ago#3
evil toy tag
https://i.imgtc.com/a6iBg1Y.jpg
Congrats to Advokaiser on being really good at predicting stuff

User Info: scarletspeed7

scarletspeed7
4 weeks ago#4
Tagging for Wickle's benefit.
"It is too easy being monsters. Let us try to be human." ~Victor Frankenstein, Penny Dreadful

Snake5555555555
4 weeks ago#5
These are the total point scores of all 40 films, determined by adding up each individual list's placements.

In addition to the main ranking, there is also an outlier contest to determine the most "out-there" opinions and the person who ranked most safely.
Listen, suffering is a fact of life. Either you learn how to deal with that or you go under.

User Info: scarletspeed7

scarletspeed7
4 weeks ago#6
I find it frightening that last place isn't more clear-cut.
"It is too easy being monsters. Let us try to be human." ~Victor Frankenstein, Penny Dreadful

Snake5555555555
4 weeks ago#7
Hint for #40: This film only has two rankings outside the bottom 5.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: StifledSilence

StifledSilence
4 weeks ago#8
Predicting Seven wins.

As for what gets eliminated first, I hope it isn’t Demonic Toys but I kinda get the feeling a lot of you hated it.
Bear Bro
The Empire of Silence

Snake5555555555
4 weeks ago#9
40. Demonic Toys

KBM: 30
Karo: 33
Genny: 35
JONA: 36
Inviso: 38
Charon: 39
Johnbobb: 40
Scarlet: 40
Snake: 40

KBM - Almost every positive thing you can say about Demonic Toys must be qualified with the phrase “for a direct-to-video movie.” This is some pretty fun gory horror schlock, for a direct-to-video movie. There are some pretty good performances, for a direct-to-video movie. The fact that it all takes place in more-or-less real time is an interesting gimmick that's pulled off fairly well, for a direct-to-video movie. You get the picture. It is pretty fun to see the underrated Tracy Scoggins get a legit leading role, even if it is in something pretty stupid like this. The production values also definitely do not do this movie any favors – I understand a movie like this is gonna have some pretty cheap effects, but it's also pretty incompetently filmed a lot of the time and has a really bad, grating musical score that gave me a headache for awhile. And as surprisingly decent as most of the characters are, the girl from the air vents was quite annoying and managed to offset some of the goodwill the movie had built up with me before her arrival.

Karo - Some people get trapped in a toy warehouse for various arbitrary reasons, and unfortunately Satan lives there and has animated the toys to do his bidding. Everyone has a bizarre, unnatural way of speaking like they are Yu-Gi-Oh characters, and they f***ing say the f***ing word f*** at least f***ing twice in every f***ing sentence for f***s sake. The toys themselves lack any sort of presence or fear, most of them are literally just puppets straight out of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood and can't be taken seriously in the slightest. Hmm, at least we have never had a movie about evil toys that come to life before! Oh, wait. It is just a cheap, unoriginal piece of direct-to-video dreck that is amusing at first but soon gets very old and very boring.

Genny - Demonic Toys is one of few movies on this list that made me question "Snakes... why?" aloud. That said I enjoyed it on some level. I mean the movie is hella dumb, but the titular characters were kind of cool. 4.7/10

JONA - While the movie has its so-bad-it’s-good moments, a good chunk of the movie is just straight-up bad.

Inviso - This movie was so f***ing stupid. It felt like a direct attempt to capitalize on the…success? I guess? Of Child’s Play. You can definitely see the influence in having a baby doll with a knife who swears a lot. But yeah, everything about this movie is cheesy and bad, but not in a “so bad it’s good” sort of way. The movie f***ing STARTS with a couple finding out that the woman is pregnant, only to then reveal that they’re both cops, undergoing a sting operation. The male cop is killed, and for whatever dumb reason, the film shifts into a toy warehouse, where apparently a demonic presence has taken control of some toys. Then a cast of random misfits gets involved (psycho criminal, a****** chicken delivery boy, fat guard, random homeless girl), most of whom ONLY exist to be killed off. It’s really dumb, and it gets dumber when it turns out that the demon wants to take over her unborn baby’s body. Who the f*** thought this was a good idea? This was f***ing TERRIBLE

Snake5555555555
4 weeks ago#10
Charon - An unnecessary B-Movie that stands apart from the crowd, in all the wrong ways. While not as offensive as I expected, but still very much so in terms of plot originality and acting. Very poor acting by basically the entire cast of this film, sans the toys which are saved by the fact they just have to be voiced. The baby was funny and times, I liked him. That's about it though. The main villain is a laughable joke and is never interesting or threatening in the least way; speaking of laughable joke, his laugh is a joke indeed. It just seemed like the type of film that didn't need to be on this list. It felt like including one of the DVD sequels on the Disney canon list. While I didn't rank it dead last, it feels wrong to have to rank it at all.

Johnbobb - oh f*** off

Scarlet - This, in fact, may be the worst film we’ve ever watched for a list. When people say a movie is “so bad it’s good”, they are lying. It’s a way for them to make themselves feel better about liking something that they know is objectively awful. It’s an attempt to deflect judgment away from them, absolving themselves of having bad taste because they know, deep down, that their opinions suck. I met someone who said that this movie was an example of that “so bad it’s good mentality”. It is, in fact, not. This is the most fundamentally broken piece of s*** travesty that has ever been forced onto a list for Gauntlet Crew that I’ve ever seen. And I include every single one of Karo’s pawf***ery TV torture sessions in that. Snake has gone out and said, “Let me do my level worst to demonstrate that there is nothing good and true about the notion of films as art. Let me present to all of you the perfect representation of why horror will always be seen as a fourth-rate money grubbing carny genre that drags the greater aspirations of filmmaking into the gutter, proving that there are things so utterly without merit that they by themselves force horror as an entire genre to capitulate to even the toilet humor of straight-to-DVD National Lampoon early-2000s college humor films as the better man.” Snake handed us a film with no quality camerawork, no quality effects work, no quality script, no quality acting. This is the definition of no quality. Much like Snake, apparently. Worst user picking worst film. Right here. You can’t teach that. Only a lucky few are born with the ability to dig up such base excrement and pass it off as anything other than the most worthless piece of s*** imaginable.
Rating: 2/100

Snake - Why I Chose It - Demonic Toys is one of the flagship franchises of Full Moon Entertainment, and one of their biggest hits early on in their formation. It has spawned many sequels and crossovers and has helped paved the modern way for b-movie horror icons like Gingerdead Man and Evil Bong. It was also an early writing credit for David S. Goyer, who would go on to help write the Dark Knight trilogy with Christopher Nolan.

My thoughts - I f***ing DESPISE Demonic Toys. I'm humiliated that I own this crapper on DVD. It is downright one of the most boring, slow-paced, horribly acted, terribly shot, cheesy as hell films I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. It takes everything I adore and hold dear about horror, puts in it it's filthy, money-hungry, brain-dead hands,and squeezes it until no life or joy remains. There isn't an original bone in this film's body, and Full Moon is more than eager to rip-off even it's own GOD DAMN PUPPET MASTER FRANCHISE because they've never even heard of the words creativity, or originality, or independent thought. Holy crap. This is deeper than bargain bin trash. There's only a certain place in hell a film like this could ever be made.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Gauntlet Crew Ranks 90s Horror Films - Do you like ranking scary movies?