• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. The SephG Top 250 [movies] - Topic II: the top 75

User Info: Nelson_Mandela

Nelson_Mandela
2 months ago#431
Menji posted...
Got my parents to watch the Man from Earth and they loved it too

Awesome. It would please me to no one to see this movie get the recognition it deserves.
"A more mature answer than I expected."~ Jakyl25
"Sephy's point is right."~ Inviso

User Info: LinkMarioSamus

LinkMarioSamus
2 months ago#432
I watched Raging Bull for the first time earlier this year and I did like it a lot, but I would not say it's one of my favorite movies of all time. The black-and-white cinematography and the acting from De Niro and Pesci did a lot to draw me in, but past that I was a little underwhelmed. Would still consider it a great movie though, and not really overhyped at all, just not something for everyone. The movie wasn't so well-received on release anyway, so I imagine many critics of the time just saw it as a strange experimental effort from Scorsese.

I will also add that I saw the movie mostly because of seeing The Godfather Part II for the first time last year and being absolutely amazed with De Niro's performance there, so I wanted to see his other Oscar-winning role. Was not disappointed in the least on that front, but I don't think I'd be rushing to re-watch Raging Bull TBH.

Going off what SD said about the film...yes, it's essentially a character study. Not saying it's too complex for you or anything, just, again, not everyone's cup of tea.
"Nothing I could do!"
-Darksydephil
(edited 2 months ago)

Nelson_Mandela
2 months ago#433
SD what is your top 5? I should be able to give you a recommendation from the list based on that and your write-ups.

User Info: Mr Lasastryke

Mr Lasastryke
2 months ago#434
SeabassDebeste posted...
24. Raging Bull (1980)
Seriously, I don't understand what's supposed to be good about this movie. "Insecure, violent man is very insecure about his girlfriend and his brother." I've tried reading reviews, but... I just don't get it. Not remotely interested in rewatching it.

you can literally bash every movie ever made by dismissively reducing it to a one-line synopsis.

"seriously, i don't understand what's supposed to be so good about the matrix. 'some dude finds out he actually lives in a simulated reality.' yawn."

also, it's so annoying when people overrate the f*** out of up because of its opening.
Geothermal terpsichorean ejectamenta

User Info: SeabassDebeste

SeabassDebeste
2 months ago#435
Nelson_Mandela posted...
SD what is your top 5? I should be able to give you a recommendation from the list based on that and your write-ups.

hmm, honestly you might have covered every one of my top 5 in your list. goldeneye is probably the movie i'd most want added. and spider-man 1/2 maybe... mulan? i'd watch mulan any day.

plenty of other really good movies that would make a list for me but not necessarily contend for top 5 (LA confidential, eternal sunshine of the spotless mind)

i'm guessing on your list i'd enjoy south park, the thing, and fargo at the very least

also i missed a few i've seen. not counting ones i saw way too young (ghostbusters, bttf)...

zoolander (fun)
wizard of oz (i like the music!)
little miss sunshine (hated)
it's a wonderful life (sweet, but not beloved)
yet all sailors of all sorts are more or less capricious and unreliable - they live in the varying outer weather, and they inhale its fickleness

User Info: SeabassDebeste

SeabassDebeste
2 months ago#436
@LinkMarioSamus
Yeah, De Niro was incredible in Godfather so I assumed Raging Bull would be brilliant. I guess a character study is cool but there has to be either something interesting about the character or something interesting in the plot. Like, contrast to Breaking Bad - Walter has a lot going on with him and there are lots of scenes devoted to his own brand of toxic masculinity, but there's also a ton of great plot. Wolf of Wall Street by Scorsese doesn't have a lot of plot, but it has a ton of spectacle.

@Mr_Lasastryke
I think The Matrix is a pretty bad choice to prove your point, or at least that summary is. The Matrix isn't just a dystopia/revelation - it's about using that revelation to make an action movie. "Guy finds out world is a simulation, but he uses this to do absurd martial arts stunts" sounds like a great premise for a movie. My problem is that based on watching the film, there's very little that I can think of to make Raging Bull sound good to me.

Also Up is like, pretty harmless aside from the first 5 minutes. The rest of it isn't as good, but it's not like we're dealing with a bad movie to begin with.
yet all sailors of all sorts are more or less capricious and unreliable - they live in the varying outer weather, and they inhale its fickleness

User Info: Mr Lasastryke

Mr Lasastryke
2 months ago#437
SeabassDebeste posted...
"Guy finds out world is a simulation, but he uses this to do absurd martial arts stunts" sounds like a great premise for a movie. My problem is that based on watching the film, there's very little that I can think of to make Raging Bull sound good to me.

raging bull is about more than what you wrote in that synopsis too. you didn't mention how it brilliantly incorporates the "i coulda been a contender" scene from on the waterfront in the ending, for instance. obviously, you're always going to miss tons of stuff if you're trying to summarize a movie into one line of text. your synopsis for the matrix sounds cool, but i wouldn't say it perfectly sums up why it's generally regarded as a classic.

just seems weird to completely dismiss a movie based on its premise. like, the IMDb synopsis for the shawshank redemption ("Two imprisoned men bond over a number of years, finding solace and eventual redemption through acts of common decency") doesn't sound super interesting to me either, yet it's a great movie. an idea for a film is one thing but execution is way more important.

Also Up is like, pretty harmless aside from the first 5 minutes. The rest of it isn't as good, but it's not like we're dealing with a bad movie to begin with.

i'd disagree with that. it's extremely tonally inconsistent, trying to balance serious moments with humor (painfully unfunny humor for the most part, i might add), which results in it being all over the place.

i'm fine with describing it as "pretty harmless," but it always rubs me the wrong way when people act like it's some kind of classic. it seems like they forget that after the amazing opening, there's still an entire movie to go that really isn't that great. it's pretty weird because no other movie gets this kind of preferential treatment because of one small portion. for example, i'd say finding dory is a pretty mediocre movie with a few great scenes, but nobody showers that movie with praise just because of a few scenes.
Geothermal terpsichorean ejectamenta

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#438
Save

User Info: LinkMarioSamus

LinkMarioSamus
1 month ago#439
Oh yeah, I remembered another reason I really liked Raging Bull - the brutality of the fights helping me get invested in Jake's story. Part of what inspired me to watch Raging Bull was a YouTube video about "how Logan succeeded where The Last Jedi failed", and the video closed with a statement that sucking the color out of Logan didn't hurt it while doing so for The Last Jedi would show nothing beneath. This in turn reminded me of an old episode of Siskel & Ebert where they argued for some advantages Black & White cinematography has over Color, specifically contrasting Raging Bull from Rocky IV for an example.

Also Siskel & Ebert both named Raging Bull the best movie of the '80s. While I wouldn't go quite that far, I'm not arguing against that pick.
"Nothing I could do!"
-Darksydephil

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#440
Watching A Serious Man

This seems like a very specific kind of humor, even for the Coens
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. The SephG Top 250 [movies] - Topic II: the top 75