You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. The SephG Top 250 [movies] - Topic II: the top 75

User Info: Nelson_Mandela

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#41
#56. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/45/Good_the_bad_and_the_ugly_poster.jpg
Dir: Sergio Leone
Genre: Western
Year: 1966

SephG Superlative: The greatest western ever made

Sergio Leone. Clint Eastwood. Ennio Morricone. It doesn't get better than this triumvirate when it comes to spaghetti westerns. I am sure the more hardcore fans might point to a different film or something else in the Dollars Trilogy as the best one, but for me, nothing comes close to the film synonymous with this genre.

Two things stand out for me as to why this is the best western I've ever seen. And they are obvious: the score and the ending. These two elements work hand-in-hand to deliver one of the most satisfying climaxes to any movie ever. Just watching the graveyard scene by itself can get me hyped for anything, and to this day it remains what I picture when I think of this era of filmmaking. Absolutely magnificent.
"A more mature answer than I expected."~ Jakyl25
"Sephy's point is right."~ Inviso

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#42
#55. The Tree of Life
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4e/Thetreeoflifeposter.jpg
Dir: Terrence Malick
Genre: Drama
Year: 2011

The Tree of Life is a hard movie to describe. To me, it is the best case scenario of letting a genius filmmaker do whatever he wants without interference. But like anytime you dive deep into a brilliant mind, you'll find some stuff that's difficult to understand and hard to process.

The Tree of Life has a very loose narrative that jumps around chronologically. We go from a boy's childhood to his reflective middle-age years to the birth of the universe to a CGI dinosaur scene that goes on for way too long to a straight-up visual metaphor sequence that defies any logic or structure. But it's all filmed with such a floaty, mesmerizing quality that it eventually begins to make sense. It's a film about time itself, about memories, and nothing I have ever seen quite so brilliantly captures that dreamlike feeling of the passage of time.

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#43
Hey friends,

The first topic is archived here:
https://l ogfaqs.com/topic.php?id=77714929

(remove the space)

User Info: neonreaper

neonreaper
1 month ago#44
ROTJ is great. I appreciate why ESB is considered the better movie but ROTJ Luke is amazing and I loved Endor. The only thing that doesn't really hold up for me are the speeder bikes... I'm all for set pieces and crazy action for the sake of it, but, those really don't make any sense except to have people crash into trees.

The real way to enjoy the OT is laser disc but I don't have those anymore :(
Donny: Are they gonna hurt us, Walter?
Walter: No, Donny. These men are cowards.

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#45
neonreaper posted...
The real way to enjoy the OT is laser disc but I don't have those anymore :(

I heard you can get HD fan cuts on the dark web to mimic the theatrical release

But I love my physical media

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#46
#54. The Battle of Algiers
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/aa/The_Battle_of_Algiers_poster.jpg
Dir: Gillo Pontecorvo
Genre: War
Year: 1966

If you want a really chilling, realistic movie about terrorism (and the military response to it), look no further than The Battle of Algiers. This movie genuinely scared me after 9/11 because it provides prescient insight into the nature of rebellion--and just how futile it can be to try to fight it.

The Battle for Algiers is filmed almost like a documentary. It shows both sides to the Franco-Algerian war of the 1950s--both the perspectives of the terror cells that began to emerge in Algiers and the French military commanders hell-bent on stopping them. The Battle for Algiers is very methodical in its presentation, almost like a textbook, but it still manages to be incredibly riveting nonetheless. We get some true insight into the gray area that is human affairs, offering an unsettling look into our own War on Terror here.

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#47
#53. No Country for Old Men
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8b/No_Country_for_Old_Men_poster.jpg
Dir: Joel and Ethan Coen
Genre: Suspense/Thriller
Year: 2007

No Country for Old Men completely subverted my expectations for a Coen Brothers movie. The Coens have always made darker crime movies, but even the bleaker ones I had seen at the time were still kind of humorous and silly. No Country certainly has those moments, but this was the first Coen Brothers movie I saw until that point that was just straight up dark. Perhaps it's because this was really Cormac McCarthy's story, but it's nevertheless a haunting experience that sticks with me to this day.

How god damn good is Javier Bardem in this? He cemented Anton Chigurh as one of the most memorable and terrifying movie villains of this century so far, and did it all while wearing a ridiculous bowl cut wig. Anyway, the rest of the performances are on the same level--and Tommy Lee Jones's final monologue in particular is a tremendously powerful elucidation of the themes of change.

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#48
#52. Whiplash
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/01/Whiplash_poster.jpg
Dir: Damien Chazelle
Genre: Drama
Year: 2014

2014 was an awesome time for films. You'll find a few more movies from that year on this list, but in almost any other year, Whiplash would have easily been my favorite film. It's energetic, moving, but straightforward--one of those movies that you can show to anyone and virtually will guarantee them they'll enjoy it.

I'm not a big jazz fan, but the meticulousness of that genre as a performance art is really the only way this movie could be as impactful as it is. You spend the entire time wondering if J.K. Simmons actually does have a master plan--to push his students and reveal one as the next Buddy Rich--or if he's just a f***ing a****** using that as an excuse to practice sadism. We of course know the answer in the very final scene, which remains up there with The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly as something I can forever watch on its own to get pumped for anything.

User Info: TheCodeisBosco

TheCodeisBosco
1 month ago#49
Nelson_Mandela posted...
2014 was an awesome time for films. You'll find a few more movies from that year on this list

Fingers crossed that Birdman is one of them. That might be my favorite film of the decade, full-stop.
Now crack that combination:
27 99 23.

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#50
#51. Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/63/Birdman_poster.png
Dir: Alejandro González Iñárritu
Genre: Drama, Comedy
Year: 2014

Oh hai again, 2014. Birdman is another astonishing film from this time, just barely edging out Whiplash as only my second favorite from that year. Unlike Whiplash, this one isn't for everyone, but it does offer some deeper insights for those who want to find them.

Inarritu gets compared to Alfonso Cuaron very often. Personally, I think Cuaron is the better director (as evidenced by the number of his movies on this list), but Birdman proves that Inarritu is leagues superior as a screenwriter--especially in English. There's just so much energy to every part of this movie, beginning with the allusion-drenched script and continued into the long takes used throughout the film, the ever-present drumming, and the frantic performances by Michael Keaton and company. It's perhaps the best example of that Latin American style of magic realism put to screen, to no better subject than an aging actor struggling to be a superhero again.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. The SephG Top 250 [movies] - Topic II: the top 75