You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. The SephG Top 250 [movies] - Topic II: the top 75

User Info: TomNook

TomNook
1 month ago#321
Nelson_Mandela posted...
Our Hospitality - haven't seen it

Odd of Lasa to mention this as the Keaton snub, when The General wasn't on your list. Have you seen that one? Honestly, the greatest silent film of all time. I know you said you were lacking in silents, but it's surprising if you haven't seen The General.

Nelson_Mandela posted...
Rebecca - haven't seen

Ouch. What other Hitchcock films are you missing?

In terms of other omissions I noticed, there was a big lack of Billy Wilder, despite having some of his most famous on the list, he really has so much more; Double Indemnity in particular was a shocking omission, though not even my favorite of his that wasn't on the list.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre was another major omission.
Bells, bells, bells!

User Info: Mr Lasastryke

Mr Lasastryke
1 month ago#322
i really need to watch more keaton. i love our hospitality but it's probably not his best film.

Nelson_Mandela posted...
Singin' in the Rain - haven't seen but I'm not into musicals

you had the wizard of oz, though! singin' in the rain isn't as good, but it's just as entertaining.

Easy Rider - it's pretty good I guess, not a huge fan

i love it but i'll admit i partially but this one on the list for its influence, being a pioneering "new hollywood" movie. without easy rider, we probably wouldn't have coppola, spielberg and lucas as we know them.

Festen - never even heard of it!

amazing movie. it was directed by thomas vinterberg who, like lars von trier, was one of the dogme 95 directors.
Geothermal terpsichorean ejectamenta

Mr Lasastryke
1 month ago#323
TomNook posted...
Odd of Lasa to mention this as the Keaton snub, when The General wasn't on your list.

yeah, i have not seen the general but i know that's generally seen as keaton's magnum opus. like i just said, i need to watch more keaton!

Mr Lasastryke
1 month ago#324
the treasure of the sierra madre is another one i've shamefully not seen. really need to watch it as apparently it was a major influence on one of my favorite movies: there will be blood.

TomNook
1 month ago#325
Mr Lasastryke posted...
yeah, i have not seen the general but i know that's generally seen as keaton's magnum opus. like i just said, i need to watch more keaton!

There was a period where I went through and watched nearly all of the films from Chaplin, Keaton, and Lloyd, and it was some of the most fun I've had movie watching. It made me seriously consider that the 1920s might be my favorite era for comedy with those 50+ movies. I'd really recommend it as a fun adventure if you ever feel up for it. Lloyd is actually my overall favorite of the 3, but his best (Safety Last) is probably slightly weaker than Keaton or Chaplin's best. Still, amazing stuff between all of them.

Mr Lasastryke posted...
the treasure of the sierra madre is another one i've shamefully not seen. really need to watch it as apparently it was a major influence on one of my favorite movies: there will be blood.

You'll definitely love it! I'm a huge fan of both movies, and I never really thought to compare them before, but I can see that.
Bells, bells, bells!

Mr Lasastryke
1 month ago#326
TomNook posted...
Lloyd is actually my overall favorite of the 3, but his best (Safety Last) is probably slightly weaker than Keaton or Chaplin's best. Still, amazing stuff between all of them.

interesting. my dad has seen a ton of lloyd and he also says lloyd is his favorite of the big three silent stars (he'd go lloyd > keaton > chaplin).

i actually haven't seen a single lloyd film, though i did see the famous clock scene from safety last!, obviously.

TomNook
1 month ago#327
Mr Lasastryke posted...
interesting. my dad has seen a ton of lloyd and he also says lloyd is his favorite of the big three silent stars (he'd go lloyd > keaton > chaplin).

i actually haven't seen a single lloyd film, though i did see the famous clock scene from safety last!, obviously.

Nice taste! That's how I'd rank them as well. Safety Last is my favorite, and I think Speedy is a pretty solid second best. After that, there are many options, but Girl Shy and Why Worry are at the top of the list.
Bells, bells, bells!

User Info: Nelson_Mandela

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#328
The top 10 movies ever made
10. Apocalypse Now (1979)
9. 8½ (1963)
8. Chungking Express (1994)
7. Pulp Fiction (1994)
6. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
5. The Godfather (1972)
4. Citizen Kane (1941)
3. A Clockwork Orange (1971)
2. Mulholland Drive (2001)
1. Hoop Dreams (1994)

Thanks for reading, everyone! I'll posts some more ways to group these movies in a bit.
"A more mature answer than I expected."~ Jakyl25
"Sephy's point is right."~ Inviso

User Info: Corrik7

Corrik7
1 month ago#329
I've seen 1 movie in your top 10
Xbox Live User Name - Corrik
Currently playing: Division 2

User Info: Nelson_Mandela

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#330
Corrik7 posted...
I've seen 1 movie in your top 10

Which one?

It's still blowing my mind that people haven't watched The Godfather and/or Pulp Fiction.
"A more mature answer than I expected."~ Jakyl25
"Sephy's point is right."~ Inviso
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. The SephG Top 250 [movies] - Topic II: the top 75