You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. The SephG Top 250 [movies] - Topic II: the top 75

User Info: Nelson_Mandela

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#251
#6. 2001: A Space Odyssey
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/11/2001_A_Space_Odyssey_%281968%29.png
Dir: Stanley Kubrick
Genre: Science Fiction
Year: 1968

SephG Superlative: The greatest science fiction movie ever made; the greatest movie of the 1960s

I would argue that 2001 is the greatest achievement in all of cinema. (Note that this doesn't necessarily mean it's the greatest movie, full stop, but it doesn't hurt its chances). And I mean that on two levels: a technical achievement and an artist achievement. I am still in complete wonder whenever I watch this movie. It looks better and more realistic (the space portions at least) than any sci-fi movie in the fifty years since it was released. That the special effects are accomplished without the use of CGI is astonishing--and I bet you that you could take the top guys in the industry today and challenge them to recreate the movie scene by scene, and all would fail. That is why Kubrick is the undisputed G.O.A.T.

From an artistic point of view, 2001 is a prime example of why subtext can be more powerful than blatant explicit storytelling. There is endless speculation about what 2001 really means--yet, there are also some general areas that most people seem to get. And that's the beauty of it all. Most people can take something from the lofty visual/auditory metaphors, but those who want to dig deeper can debate the rest of the allegory forever. It's something that continues to challenge me personally, and remains one of the most "mature" movies that only grows deeper the older I get. And that's something that is hard to say about most other movies I first experienced as a teen.
"A more mature answer than I expected."~ Jakyl25
"Sephy's point is right."~ Inviso

User Info: CaptainOfCrush

CaptainOfCrush
1 month ago#252
Pulp Fiction's biggest flaw is that Tarantino's raging foot fetish was spent on an actress with kinda ugly feet (and maybe all the dialogue between Bruce Willis and his French girlfriend).

I will say that the movie's major character death is one of the most shocking moments I can ever remember in a film - not so much because Tarantino chose to do it, but because he did it in a way that was so quick, grimy, and without any buildup. Such a ballsy move.
Yoblazer
http://i.imgur.com/gByqgPg.gif

User Info: wallmasterz

wallmasterz
1 month ago#253
All great choices so far. I’ve wanted the OOP Criterion Chungking Express blu for ages and already seriously considered splurging for it if I’m so lucky as to get $100 for guessing the top 10 correctly.

The only part of Pulp Fiction I don’t love is the pawn shop stuff with Zed. I’ve seen more f***ed up movies but that’s just kinda an ugly moment in my opinion. It’s still a fantastic movie
I need to update my signature.

User Info: Menji

Menji
1 month ago#254
Chungking Express so good

Still haven't splurged on the Criterion as its been rumored for years we'd be getting a WKW collection.
Menji+ https://i.imgur.com/F5UEyUw.gif | http://i.imgur.com/pPZsSZU.gifv
Congrats to Advokaiser! [ https://myanimelist.net/profile/Menjii ]

User Info: Mr Lasastryke

Mr Lasastryke
1 month ago#255
chungking express is great. didn't see that one coming at all.

the watch flashback still makes me laugh every time i see it, especially the way christopher walken says "so he hid it, in the one place he knew he could hide something: his ass."

2001's amazing soundtrack deserves a mention too!
Geothermal terpsichorean ejectamenta

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#256
The top 10 science fiction movies of all time
1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
2. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
3. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
4. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
5. Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983)
6. Jurassic Park (1993)
7. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
8. Akira (1988)
9. The Man from Earth (2007)
10. Alien (1979)

A lot of blockbusters, but I am feeling pretty good about that list.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: ExThaNemesis

ExThaNemesis
1 month ago#257
I have not seen a single one of your top ten yet, Sephy.

No, I have not seen Pulp Fiction, believe it or not.
"undertale hangs out with mido" - ZFS
Smash Ultimate Switch Code: SW-6933-1523-8505

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#258
ExThaNemesis posted...
I have not seen a single one of your top ten yet, Sephy.

No, I have not seen Pulp Fiction, believe it or not.

Jesus Christ what

No 2001 either?

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#259
Maybe ExTha has seen this one...

#5. The Godfather
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1c/Godfather_ver1.jpg
Dir: Francis Ford Coppola
Genre: Drama, Crime
Year: 1972

The reason why The Godfather works so well and has endured for so long is simple: patience. Everything about this movie deliberately takes its time for one reason or another, and thus it fails to succumb to the itching desire for action that leads to the downfall of most mob movies. Take the first scene for example. The opening note of the score lingers as the first request for Don Corleone begins, and the conversation takes place slowly and softly. We’re able to absorb every word of the brilliant script, we’re able to get a sense of the characters during the silent beats, and we’re able to sense growing tension and emotion as these moments go on.

The entire film is paced just like this, and it’s what makes it feel so epic without feeling bloated. FFC and company are able to touch on so many themes of American life with this methodical pace--family, loyalty, crime, corruption, love, trust. I could go on. You could probably pick from a dozen characters and performances as all-time greats--Marlon Brando’s Don Corleone being the obvious choice for #1. But Al Pacino delivers and incredibly understated role as Michael, and it’s one of the most effective arcs, from all-American good boy to ruthless mob boss, that we’ve ever seen. The Godfather has earned its rightful place in our culture--challenging decades of movies, television, video games, etc. to try to match it. But all have fallen short. It truly is the greatest of its kind.

User Info: ExThaNemesis

ExThaNemesis
1 month ago#260
Still nope!
"undertale hangs out with mido" - ZFS
Smash Ultimate Switch Code: SW-6933-1523-8505
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. The SephG Top 250 [movies] - Topic II: the top 75