You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. The SephG Top 250 [movies] - Topic II: the top 75

User Info: Nelson_Mandela

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#241
I've shamefully never seen paths of glory.

Having a wife who doesn't like war movies has really encumbered my catch up process :(
"A more mature answer than I expected."~ Jakyl25
"Sephy's point is right."~ Inviso

User Info: Mr Lasastryke

Mr Lasastryke
1 month ago#242
paths of glory is amazing. approaches the concept of a "war movie" in a totally unique way.
Geothermal terpsichorean ejectamenta

User Info: TomNook

TomNook
1 month ago#243
Nelson_Mandela posted...
I've shamefully never seen paths of glory

It's better knowing you haven't seen it at least. It's my personal favorite Kubrick movie and favorite war movie.
Bells, bells, bells!

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#244
It's also the only major Kubrick film I haven't seen. Probably in my top 3 need to watch movies, actually.

User Info: neonreaper

neonreaper
1 month ago#245
Wait does this mean you are skipping Rambo and Missing and Action or just not counting those as war movies?
Donny: Are they gonna hurt us, Walter?
Walter: No, Donny. These men are cowards.

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#246
Haha I genuinely do love first blood part II
Another great movie from 1994 (that I assume is not on your list) is Quiz Show.
Congrats to Advokaiser for winning the CBX Guru Challenge!

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#248
More this evening or tomorrow

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#249
#8. Chungking Express
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c0/Chungking_Express.jpg
Dir: Wong Kar-wai
Genre: Drama, Romance
Year: 1994

SephG Superlative: The greatest Hong Kong/Chinese movie ever; the greatest Asian movie ever; the greatest non-English speaking movie ever

Chungking Express is the most recent film in the top tier for my own personal viewing, having watched it about two (?) years ago on Filmstruck (RIP). Needless to say that I immediately shelled out like a hundred bucks for the Criterion release on DVD because I needed to ensure that I could watch it over and over. And I am glad I did.

There are two parts to Chungking Express that each work to make this movie special in their own unique way. The first part is flashy, fast, film noir that evolves into a peculiar "love" story of sorts. If you were like me, knowing little about the film before viewing it, you'd assume that Chungking Express was a crime drama. But in the loveliest WKW fashion, this is merely an entree into his favorite kind of character--tired, lost, lovelorn people living out their loneliness in the densest city on the planet. My favorite aspect of the first story is Takeshi Kaneshiro's sullen police officer, whose melodramatic monologues are equally funny and poetic. Pay attention to every single word in this part--the call-backs and repetition in language (and its delivery) are almost Nabokovian in their brilliance.

The second part seems to be what everyone remembers about this movie. "California Dreamin.'" The Cantonese version of "Dreams." Brigitte Lin essentially inventing the hipster girl look 15 years before Brooklyn cemented it into our culture. It's been a long time since anything has made me as happy as the latter half of Chungking Express. It's incredibly charming without succumbing to any of the annoying rom-com tropes that never cease to bother me. It's spectacularly fulfilling without coming off too neat. It's Wong Kar-wai and 90s cinema at their finest, and required viewing for anyone who likes a good romance.

Worth the $100 and more.

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#250
#7. Pulp Fiction
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3b/Pulp_Fiction_%281994%29_poster.jpg
Dir: Quentin Tarantino
Genre: Drama, Crime, Comedy
Year: 1994

I debated putting this one so high on The List. There are other movies on here that are so universally acclaimed that it's almost hackneyed to put them on here--but nothing to the extent of Pulp Fiction. Critics love it, film buffs love it. People my age love it. But, most annoyingly, the Internet really loves it. But you know what? f*** it. This movie deserves every single iota of praise it gets.

Quentin Tarantino kicked Hollywood down a completely new path with this movie. Comedies became darker, crime movies became funnier, and it seemed like every studio tried to copy the quick, sharp ensemble nature of Pulp Fiction that still persists to this day. And for a while, it worked. Even the clones that managed to capture one-tenth of the spirit of the movie were pretty great, which just goes to show you how amazing Pulp Fiction really was.

I don't need to explain much more about the movie. Everyone here has seen it (please raise your hand if you haven't!). It balances all of the diverse elements of the story perfectly, creating a blend that doesn't feel at all disjointed, but rather a collection of different plots with their own individual tones that all complement one another. Not a single scene feels excessive and nothing feels unfinished. We all have our favorite segment (mine is "The Watch" flashback)--and that's the beauty of this film. It has something for everyone, for any mood, and can keep you coming back to look for something new every time. Tarantino has never been better.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. The SephG Top 250 [movies] - Topic II: the top 75