You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. The SephG Top 250 [movies] - Topic II: the top 75

User Info: Nelson_Mandela

Nelson_Mandela
2 months ago#21
#66. Brazil
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e9/Brazil_%281985_film%29_poster.jpg
Dir: Terry Gilliam
Genre: Fantasy
Year: 1985

Brazil is yet another black comedy attempting to augur a vaguely dystopian future society, replete with all of the hilarious madness of Monty Python alum Terry Gilliam. Unlike Network, this isn't as much of a satire of groupthink as it relates to media, but more about groupthink as it relates to bureaucracy and government overreach--a subject that's near and dear to my heart!

In keeping with Gilliam's style, Brazil is a very fun and somewhat whimsical adventure despite the bleakness of its theme. He does a fantastic job of blending social commentary with a genuinely thrilling story and fantastical setting; and like his other films, you will be left unsure of which part of the film is "real" and which is merely a dream or delusion of our protagonist.
"A more mature answer than I expected."~ Jakyl25
"Sephy's point is right."~ Inviso

Nelson_Mandela
2 months ago#22
#65. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e6/Dr._Strangelove_poster.jpg
Dir: Stanley Kubrick
Genre: Comedy, War
Year: 1964

It was completely unintentional to list three of the most biting satires in movie history in a row, but here we are. Dr. Strangelove is the cinematic Cold War satire. There was nothing before it, and everything else that came after was a mere imitation. Kubrick perfected the wartime black comedy in his first go, thanks largely to a landmark performance by the GOAT Peter Sellers.

Dr. Strangelove is so nonsensical and so frenetic that it makes you feel like an insane person, which I'm sure was the intent. You start to understand the distrust and the paranoia that represented the American government at the peak of the arms race, driving the world ever so closer to total annihilation. There is so much content packed into every scene that it's impossible to dissect it all here, but the ending (yet again) is probably all you need to remember to understand the tone and theme of the film. The cowboy pose atop the nuclear bomb is about as iconic as it gets, and the cut to real footage overlaid with "We'll Meet Again" is just pure genius.

Nelson_Mandela
2 months ago#23
done 4 2day

Nelson_Mandela
2 months ago#24
TIL the Toronto championship basketball team's name was selected after a nationwide poll in 1994. The reason why Raptors randomly led the poll? Jurassic Park was released the year before.

Nelson_Mandela
2 months ago#25
Night bump

Nelson_Mandela
2 months ago#26
#64. Beauty and the Beast
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7c/Beautybeastposter.jpg
Dir: Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise
Genre: Animated, Musical, Romance
Year: 1991

You're going to see several Disney Renaissance films in the top 100 of this list. Maybe it's because these were the movies I grew up with. But I think the better explanation is that this period of Disney is extremely god damn good. The level of animated and musical prowess is unmatched at any other point in movie history--and we'll frankly never see anything like it again.

Of all the Renaissance films, one could argue that Beauty and the Beast is the grandest in scale. The songs are the most operatic and the supporting cast is huge and colorful and delightfully weird. The gothic setting here is exactly what I think of when I think of Disney and I am sure this shaped just about all of our imaginations of what the "olden days" of Europe were like. I haven't seen the live action remake, but I don't imagine that it was able to come close to the sheer majesty that is the original.

Nelson_Mandela
2 months ago#27
#63. Chinatown
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/38/Chinatownposter1.jpg
Dir: Roman Polanski
Genre: Drama, Mystery, Film Noir
Year: 1974

Chinatown is the pre-eminent film noir (or a pointlessly labeled "neo-noir") of Hollywood. You think of hard-boiled detectives, cigarette smoking, a dame with a secret, smooth jazz, and neon lights--think no further than this film.

Chinatown also has arguably the tightest mystery script ever written, by the legendary Robert Towne. All of the elements are there to make this super engaging both on a broad conspiracy level, but also the personal ("she's my sister and my daughter" might be the most f***ed up twist ever). As I've said many times in these write-ups, the 1970s is when things really started to feel "modern," and if you want a mystery that's on the level of True Detective and other gritty shows and films that came after, this is a must-watch.

Nelson_Mandela
2 months ago#28
#62. The Last Temptation of Christ
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bb/The_Last_Temptation_of_Christ_poster.png
Dir: Martin Scorsese
Genre: Drama
Year: 1988

SephG Superlative: The greatest Canadian film ever made*

I was never really that interested in the story of Jesus Christ. I have always been somewhat of an agnostic, so the whole Son of God thing didn't matter to me, and I had heard countless martyr stories before. It just didn't seem to be that unique, if I am being honest. But while I am by no means a believer, The Last Temptation of Christ changed my perspective on the story of Jesus and now I truly do think that this is one of the great stories ever told.

The Last Temptation of Christ follows Jesus's journey from rabbi to martyr. But where it really differs from your typical historical epic is that it's the only movie I've seen that actually meditates on the actual sacrifice of Jesus. There is an alternate history in the third act that is truly profound--depicting Satan's temptation of Jesus as he shows him what life could be like, the joy and the simplicity, if he allows him to end his sacrifice on the cross. It's a really fascinating, human way to look at the story, and I certainly recommend it to anyone, especially those who consider themselves Christians. I have no idea why the Church took issue with this.

Aside from the story itself, The Last Temptation of Christ is also created like an 80s art film. The anachronistic music (a synth-pop Peter Gabriel score), the weirdness of the characters (Willem Dafoe + David Bowie will do that), and the really incredible experimental art direction all create this very uncanny atmosphere that I can't get enough of. The style probably isn't for everybody, but it certainly differentiates itself from the traditional biblical takes out there.

*I had no idea this was a Canadian production until this very moment. Weird!

Nelson_Mandela
2 months ago#29
#61. Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b2/ReturnOfTheJediPoster1983.jpg
Dir: Richard Marquand
Genre: Science Fiction, Adventure
Year: 1983

The original Star Wars trilogy is the greatest trilogy in movie history, bar none. That should come as no surprise, considering it is the only series on this list to have all three films in my Top 250 (and all three come in my top 61 at that!). I feel that this needed to be said, as these movies (and particularly RotJ) have been subject to very annoying criticism in the past several years.

Return of the Jedi was the perfect ending to such a brilliant space opera. I'm not going to get into how the sequel trilogy is virtually destroying its legacy, but the Luke/Empire story should have absolutely ended here. The movie is as grand as it needed to be, given the unparalleled hype it had leading up to its release. I could go on about various scenes of the movie and why they're great, but I'll stick to the ending itself. The Luke/Vader confrontation at the end might be the single-greatest part of the OT, with the emotion just seeping through as Vader chooses his son over the Dark Side.

So yes, RotJ is the weakest of the OT, but that is only a testament to how incredible these films are. And one more thing--this is entirely based on the version that I've always chosen to watch (the early 90s VHS release). None of that CGI Anakin bulls*** at the end.

User Info: Mr Lasastryke

Mr Lasastryke
2 months ago#30
bleh. i'm not sure what "very annoying criticism" RotJ has been receiving but it sucks regardless. very disappointing end to what SHOULD have been one of the great trilogies in movie history.

at least you're not one of those "ROTJ IS THE BEST ONE" individuals.
Geothermal terpsichorean ejectamenta
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. The SephG Top 250 [movies] - Topic II: the top 75