You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. The SephG Top 250 [movies] - Topic II: the top 75

User Info: Raka_Putra

Raka_Putra
2 months ago#11
That was a fast first topic. Tag.
Noble king, there is no doubt -- what your dream is all about
All these things you saw in your pajamas, are a long-range forecast for your farmers!

User Info: Nelson_Mandela

Nelson_Mandela
2 months ago#12
Back at it tomorrow prob
"A more mature answer than I expected."~ Jakyl25
"Sephy's point is right."~ Inviso

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#13
#74. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/66/E_t_the_extra_terrestrial_ver3.jpg
Dir: Steven Spielberg
Genre: Science Fiction
Year: 1982

This is probably the movie everyone thinks of when they think of Spielberg and the 1980s. But for me, what E.T. represents the indescribable "movie magic" feeling that we seldom have seen since the advent of CGI.

E.T. is more than just an iconic representation of a bygone era of filmmaking. It's actually still a genuinely fantastic movie and basically the gold standard of pacing. There's a way that Spielberg builds up to the final bike chase that works on an almost primitive level, making you want to stand up and applaud as we see the proto-Amblin logo pop on screen. Gives even cynics like me chills!

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#14
#73. Toy Story 3
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/69/Toy_Story_3_poster.jpg
Dir: Lee Unkrich
Genre: Animated, Comedy
Year: 2010

Toy Story 3 does something that I am not sure has ever been done in a movie before. There is a very palpable meta-narrative going on that brings a good portion of the audience into the story itself. You know what I'm talking about--so many of us were kids who played with toys when the original Toy Story was released, and now we were all grown up like Andy in Toy Story 3.

And that meta-narrative works perfectly to make this one of the most emotionally resonant films of the decade for me. Growing up and moving on is a fact of life for just about everyone. But it doesn't mean that the memories and relics of the past are unimportant. They formed who we are--and in this universe of such relics being animate beings, it was great to see that arc where they also came to accept this fact. A perfect end to an amazing series.

Boycott Toy Story 4.

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#15
#72. Kill Bill: Vol. 2
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c4/Kill_Bill_Volume_2.png
Dir: Quentin Tarantino
Genre: Action
Year: 2004

Tarantino's first foray into "elevating" genre films in the past two decades was nothing short of life-changing for me. I'll probably get more into this in Vol. 1's write-up, but the Kill Bill series entered my life at exactly the right time. Volume 1 was one of the very few movies I have ever willingly seen multiple times in the theater, so I could not have been more hyped for its sequel.

Kill Bill Volume 2 is definitely a sharp turn from its predecessor. It's much slower, a bit more inspired by spaghetti westerns, and it a little less ostentatious in its presentation. You could call it more contemplative. And I was a year older at that point, a year wiser, so I almost felt like I grew into this kind of movie. Naturally, I adored it.

The scenes that still stick with me, beat for beat (even note for note as I recall the music) are definitely the buried alive sequence and the ending. The former is a brilliantly designed bookend to The Bride's martial arts training backstory and her escape serves as the natural climax for the series. The latter is just uber satisfying--a perfect ending set up flawlessly from the beginning and pulled off with aplomb from Uma and David Carradine.

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#16
#71. Mad Max: Fury Road
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6e/Mad_Max_Fury_Road.jpg
Dir: George Miller
Genre: Action
Year: 2015

SephG Superlative: The greatest Australian movie ever made

Fury Road defied all modern conventions and evidence that said reboots are terrible, uninspired cash grabs by lazy studio executives looking for a quick buck. I was very nervous when it came out. I really like the Mad Max series. So to give it a sequel 30 years after the last one and cast Tom Hardy in place of Mel Gibson seemed like it was a desperate attempt at capitalizing off of an existing IP. I could not have been more wrong.

Fury Road is by far the best movie in the Mad Max franchise and easily the best attempt at rebooting a dead series we have seen (though I still haven't seen Dredd!). The plot is minimalist by choice, as most of the tension is left up to the glorious action staged by George Miller. There are few pure action movies as good as this one--but from a technical "how the hell did they pull that off," clever, creative perspective, this one might be the best to ever do it.

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#17
#70. Dazed and Confused
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/af/Dazed_and_Confused_%281993%29_poster.jpg
Dir: Richard Linklater
Genre: Comedy, Coming of Age
Year: 1993

There is one of these movies released every few years. That coming-of-age, end of high school comedy that takes place across a single day/night. I have a soft spot for them because they really are a great way to structure a generational time capsule, if done properly. But none pull this off so gracefully as Dazed and Confused, which took the template created in American Graffiti and turned it up to 11.

Dazed and Confused might have the greatest contemporary soundtrack in any movie ever, and the selected songs perfectly reflect the late-70s vibe of Linklater's youth. It also counters a common criticism of the film that I've seen over the years--that it's aimless and meandering, unsure of what its "lesson" should be. Yet that in itself kind of is the point. Like the mindless rock songs that pervaded this era, this is a film about not worrying about the bigger picture--just taking it easy and going with the flow.

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#18
#69. Jurassic Park
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e7/Jurassic_Park_poster.jpg
Dir: Steven Spielberg
Genre: Science Fiction, Adventure
Year: 1993

I think each generation probably has one blockbuster that completely s***tered their expectations about what cinema can do, particularly from a special effects perspective. My parents had Star Wars. I guess this current generation has...Avengers (?). Well, for me and my peers, there was one movie that made us all collectively lose our 5-year-old s***: Jurassic Park.

I challenge you all to watch at least a scene or two from Jurassic Park now and then to watch a scene or two of another high-budget special effects-driven movie from 5 years ago. I can guarantee that Jurassic Park will look better. And it's over 25 years old. Needless to say, this movie made every kid in the 90s a dinosaur fan and probably inspired thousands of people to study filmmaking. But that's not just because it looks great--it also has a very solid story, incredible tension, and that classic Spielbergian touch.

Jurassic Park capped off an incredible run for Spielberg that began with Jaws in the 1970s. Others are probably better equipped to posit why, but there is just a sense that this was the last of his blockbusters that had that mystique to them--that sense of something groundbreaking brought to life by a movie magician at the height of his genius. It truly was the end of era, but it went out in epic fashion.

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#19
#68. Y Tu Mamá También
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/63/Y_tu_mam%C3%A1_tambi%C3%A9n_poster.png
Dir: Alfonso Cuarón
Genre: Drama, Coming of Age
Year: 2001

Y Tu Mama Tambien scandalized the people of Mexico in 2001. Looking at it now, it almost seems tame. But it was, at the time, a really unique thing to portray realistic sex and drug use amongst teens in Mexico. However, this wasn't Kids--a movie that was shocking for the sake of selling tickets. This was a really personal tale of youth in revolt in which the actors mostly improvised their lines to reflect how they would react in certain situations.

Y Tu Mama Tambien is also a really cool road movie set in a location that was never really portrayed in film at the time. We see Mexico from the urban centers to the small villages inland to the beach towns on the coast. The realism shines through in these places as well, showing that it's not that kind of "look at how crazy these teens are" kind of way. I won't spoil the ending here, but it is also one of the more poignant parts of the movie--particularly the final narration around the nature of friendship and youth.

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#20
#67. Network
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e3/Network_%281976_poster%29.png
Dir: Sidney Lumet
Genre: Drama
Year: 1976

I was chatting the other day about the Broadway adaptation with Bryan Cranston with someone who had never seen Network. Just by looking at the ads, they assumed Network was something like The Newsroom--a really dialogue heavy movie about broadcast journalism with pretty overt political undertones. I will tell you now, if you're interested in it, that Network is nothing of the sort. It is a completely bat-s*** crazy satire that might leave you sick to your stomach (in a good way).

Network is closer to Catch-22 than to The Newsroom. It starts out as a more standard news drama, but very quickly devolves into an over-the-top black comedy that has auspices of the cable news takeover of the early 2000s. Peter Finch plays Howard Beale, an anchor whose mental breakdown makes him the highest rated thing on TV. This may be the single-greatest role in all of film and is worth watching just for his lunacy. It does indeed get quite dark--but like most satires, the vision isn't exactly optimistic, yet it's eerily prescient.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. The SephG Top 250 [movies] - Topic II: the top 75