You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Board 8 National Football League League (B8NFLL) Season 12: The Offseason
Yeah, their inability to have a full career makes it tough for me to judge, so I'll change my votes to abstains then.

Edit: To elaborate, I can only really compare their stats right now against NFL equivalents, whereas this game is its own thing, so it's hard for me to judge when there isn't a real point of comparison. Like Campbell probably deserves to be in, but I don't know enough about the others, and I can't, again, in good conscience vote for most Dolphins players for such a prestigious honor.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Kelly Campbell

All time leader in yards and TD's. Whilst his yardage is going to be surpassed, his TD total is going to remain at the top (or top 2) for a long time. It is also worth noting that Campbell put up these numbers playing a lot of his career as WR2. How many WR2's are putting up 1000+ yards and 10+ TDs a season? As a one off sure but consistently? Those are ridiculous numbers. A lot of peoples WR1s don't even put up those numbers. I know that I have precisely zero 1000+ Yards 10+ TD seasons by a Wide Receiver in the last 6 seasons and I have always had a 90+ WR on the team (granted being thrown to be a multitude of bad QBs)

Vote - Yes

Mark Tauscher

This one I am more torn on as his totals are likely to be surpassed however retiring O-line men are at a disadvantage stat wise. I'm assuming that O-linemen retiring now started off in the game at ~25-26 with empty stats but they lost their first 2-4 seasons of stats. Whereas going forward we are going to start getting Oline players who were drafted as 21-23 year olds and so get 13-17 years of stats behind them instead of the 11 years of stats that Tauscher gets. I think in isolation we can see his Blocks/Sacks ratio is outstanding. He may not lead that blocks category and is only going to fall down the list but his ratio is going to remain at the top end. His stats on a per season basis fall under the same criteria. And his number of post season awards only add to that

Vote - Yes or save his numbers and revisit in 1-2 seasons when that Top 10 list changes

Tatum Bell

I think I've already spoken enough on Bell but he has an MVP award, a record season that is unlikely to be surpassed and if we relook at his stats 5 years down the line he is probably still going to fall in the Top 3 to 5 stat wise.

Vote - Yes unless you guys wants to be sticklers with the criteria

Tutan Reyes

His block total is clearly going to be surpassed but the same thing that applies to Tauscher also applies to Reyes. If you look at that list on a Sack/Block Ratio you can see he clearly has the best ratio and unless the people behind him have a monstrous few seasons that's likely to stay the same. Maybe some people just off the list have better ratios and will make his numbers look worse in a few seasons when they breech the top 10?

Vote - Yes or save his stats and revist in 1-2 seasons when that list changes

I think that is anyone is going to finish their career in the Top 3-5 of a position and their stat line is going to hold up in the Top 3-5 for the foreseeable future (4-5 years?) then they should get into the HOF
(edited 3 weeks ago)
I have no problem letting Bell in based on his stats, but I am against making an exception for Bell because of his stats. Either everyone with pre-League stats is eligible, or none of them are.
http://imageshack.us/a/img339/6921/rinoa1d.jpg
"Rinoa...Even if you end up as the world's enemy. I'll...I'll be your knight."
I think it's something that stops being an issue very quickly. The number of players still in the game who had stats at game start has to be minimal now. Best case scenario a player with stats would be 22 assuming they were drafted at 21 and had played 1 season but in most cases they would be older. That essentially rules out virtually all skill positions.

Some of the remaining players don't come in game with stats because of their position played.

I cannot imagine it applying to more than 3 to 4 players given the circumstances and required stats they would have to put up but it's entirely possible Bell is the only guy it applies to going forward
(edited 3 weeks ago)
ShatteredElysium posted...
It is also worth noting that Campbell put up these numbers playing a lot of his career as WR2. How many WR2's are putting up 1000+ yards and 10+ TDs a season

I don't think that's actually worth noting. There are very few formations with one WR.

Also, I had Chad Johnson at WR2 for the large majority of one season with Lymon as WR1 and Johnson still put up numbers you'd expect from a WR1 (I actually made the switch after a poor start to the season and Johnson put up much better numbers the rest of the way as WR2; probably a coincidence, but thought I'd mention it).
Flanker position > Split End position confirmed

User Info: MysteriousStan

MysteriousStan
3 weeks ago#67
I see stevr's point but it's not enough for me to abstain and such as I think Campbell should be a lock. Tauscher and Reyes have excellent ratios which is what gets the nod for me. Outside of Bell's MVP year his totals seem more average to me I guess but I'm willing to make him the standard for future HBs coming up in the future which is basically how I'm viewing all the nominees this year anyway.

Campbell - Yes
Tauscher - Yes
Reyes - Yes
Bell - Yes
Posted using GameFlux
O-Line stats are biased towards linemen on teams that run the ball.

User Info: KCF0107

KCF0107
3 weeks ago#69
That's only partially true. OL on run-oriented teams (which I will define as any user team whose run-pass off. strategy was 51-49 or greater and any AI team with more carries than pass attempts), tend to have higher block figures than those from pass-oriented teams.

Sacks allowed figures are completely different. 7 of the 10 teams that gave up the most sacks in the league were run-oriented and it was split down the middle when it came to the teams that gave up the fewest sacks. This is similar to how its always been, so I believe it is safe to say that offensive philosophy has no (or weak at best) correlation to the amount of sacks a team gives up.

That being said, I do not believe it is fair to hold that against players, especially in a league where they basically have no control over anything. We pull basically all the strings unless you piss off a player so much that they will not play for you via trade demands.

Also, and I am trying to protect proprietary information from user teams, but the assumption that Tauscher's career was spent in a run-oriented offense is completely false.
KCF can't actually be a real person but he is - greengravy
http://i.imgur.com/VfpY7tg.jpg
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: KCF0107

KCF0107
3 weeks ago#70
Also, HB is one of a few positions where many incumbent players had clear and accurate stats from seasons prior to B8NFLL. Several QBs, WRs, and TEs also check out.

All defensive positions, Ks, and Ps have various issues, so incumbent players for all those positions will sadly not be on future Hall of Fame Ballots (which is a shame because SS Michael Lewis has a case for best B8NFLL player ever).

Right now, active players with stats prior to B8NFLL who could be considered are:
QB Ben Roethlisberger
HB Steven Jackson
WR Andre Johnson
WR Nate Burleson
WR Larry Fitzgerald
WR Roy Williams
WR Keary Colbert
WR Michael Clayton

And out of all of these, the only one that I feel certain about is Johnson, so honestly there will be very few who would ultimately find themselves up for Hall of Fame consideration.
KCF can't actually be a real person but he is - greengravy
http://i.imgur.com/VfpY7tg.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Board 8 National Football League League (B8NFLL) Season 12: The Offseason