You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Tom resumes reading all the Bolo Household Manga Collection (spoilers)
(message deleted)

User Info: Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil
4 weeks ago#32
Muraki wanted to lure all his enemies to one spot, because hey the ship's about to sink from a bomb BTW. Camille still loves the doctor even though she knew he was using her, and asks Hisoka to finish her off. Muraki gets away, still taunting/hitting on Tsuzuki. We've got everybody off the boat safely, but there's no evidence left. Hisoka did wind up killing Camille, and ain't doin' too well. He needs a comforting hug from Tsuzuki.

My rating: 8/10
Now we're talkin'! We've got some husbandos for Wifebolo, and some good ol' closed-room murderin' for me. I figured it was Eileen once that was brought up, but I didn't expect her to be a split personality, and before that I suspected Med Student. I wonder if he survived, actually! What made him a VIP? Anyway. Solid stuff. I could reeeeeaaaaally do with out the sexy rape~~~ angle, especially after the previous manga more than depleted my tolerance for such, and that brings it down a bit, but otherwise it's straight up my alley. I even actually ship the dudes I'm supposed to ship, which might be a first in my dark-and-broody-bishonen experience!
https://imgtc.com/i/uWMMlnN.png
Tone yo' flab

User Info: Eerieka

Eerieka
4 weeks ago#33
(deleted my previous post and reposting it here since I didn't realize I was posting in the middle of your posts and it kinda bugged me lol.

Tom Bombadil posted...
Discussion question: What's the worst piece of media you have finished?

Tough question. I usually quit reading/watching/playing something if it doesn't hold my interest anymore. I guess I'll say School Days, since it was torture up until the satisfying finale. I knew what the ending was about; I only suffered through the whole series to enjoy the ending.

Yami no Matsuei is pretty bad in hindsight, but it was one of the first anime I watched not counting stuff I watched as a kid when I didn't know the difference between anime and cartoons. Muraki was one of my first bishounen crushes. Also Hisoka is voiced by Liam O'Brien in the English dub and it was my first exposure to him (I have a crush on his voice lol).
Account created-9/10/04. Just a normal GameFAQs user/leprechaun
Ramza: rofl. Rofel: You say my name? -Eise

Tom Bombadil
4 weeks ago#34
Descendants of Darkness, Vol. 4
https://i.imgtc.ws/08rumbu.jpg

This was a car ride read (will be another today) so you get the short review instead of the liveblog. This volume kicks off with a couple of filler stories- first we go on a trip to Hokkaido and hit our quota of onsen episode tropes. The Ice Queen is missing, so her furry underlings enlist us to track her down! She stole some food Tsuzuki made, sneaked out to the woods to eat it, and passed out because he sucks at cooking. This one also featured some thots from another branch that were pretty into Hisoka.

Next up, we're in an New Year's archery competition with another another branch, with their own scary women.

Alright, time for a more serious story before we run out of volume. We head out to an all-boys Catholic school to try to unravel a really complicated and fast-paced tale of murder and teh gay and intrigue and guilt and demons and exorcists. I think the pacing kinda hurt it, but it boils down to a demon came to the school under disguise, played a bunch of closet gay dudes against each other, and got most of them to kill themselves or each other in order to lure our dudes there. Tsuzuki has stumbled into the position of King of Hell by beating the previous one, so now there is a big target on his back for guys like this. The like only surviving named character from the school is secretly A) an exorcist and B) a girl, so we beat the demon with her help.

My rating: 7/10
The fun stories were fun, but forgettable, and I was hoping for more mystery genre stuff. The serious story just needed some room to breathe, I think- it felt like we were going from murder to twist to murder to murder to climax without time to digest any of it. It was fine but didn't meet the bar set by the previous one, for my tastes at least.
Tone yo' flab

Tom Bombadil
4 weeks ago#35
Descendants of Darkness, Vol. 5
https://i.imgtc.ws/ohsTeZM.jpg

AFK review today and probably for anything else that I get to this week. This one is a bit more serious kinda sorta maybe, or at least the story fills a whole book. We visit the Count (an invisible dude who's into Tsuzuki- he made a cameo during the archery competition and presumably was more thoroughly introduced previously) and learn that he's been getting into writing. But he has special books that will write themselves if supplied with basic info about characters and plot, which is one of the cooler ideas I've seen in a while.

Tsuzuki manages to get himself sucked into one of them- a period drama populated entirely by thinly veiled expies of the "real world" cast. Victorian AU shenanigans ensue as Tsuzuki tries to save a girl version of himself from the evil count and his scheming butler, played by Tatsumi. It's all quite silly, but actually serves as a vehicle for both Tsuzuki and Tatsumi to examine their relationship and unpack some baggage from before the series started. Tsuzuki had a rough time starting out, and Tatsumi went from trying to protect him as partners to pushing him away because of guilt over his mother. They eventually split up but now we're back on cordial terms after saving Tsuzuki from the book.

This was pretty fun but I keep waiting for this series to be like the first one I read and it keeps being not that.
Tone yo' flab

Tom Bombadil
4 weeks ago#36
Descendants of Darkness, Vol. 6
https://i.imgtc.ws/NUZNYHg.jpg

(EDIT: I forgot the short one about how we finally re-opened the library from a previous Tsuzuki-related incident, and then he blows it up again while fighting with the cranky guy from the archery contest)

Most of this volume regards a business trip to Okinawa, where Tsuzuki and the two girls from a bit ago (they've toned down their thottiness and so will not be referred to as such) get roped into helping out at a local inn. Brought in by a (dead) (cute) aspiring lady cop who is friends ("friends"?) with the owner, they need to drum up some business and also figure out what is going on with rumors of ghosts, all before the local EVIL CORPORATION (with ties to Muraki?) buys it out. We figure out that the source of the confusion is a shiisaa that has wandered into our world, who winds up staying on as a pet. Meanwhile, Hisoka in his work as a fortune teller has convinced one of the higher-ups in the corporation that they need to get rid of their terrible CEO. The newer, kinder evil corporation chills on the whole takeover bit, the dead lady goes back to...wherever she actually came from, and everybody's groovy.

There's also a short gag story where the science guy comes up with a sex change potion, but it instead de-ages him and Tsuzuki. We've gotta go deal with the Count again and get some belladonna for the antidote. But we got the wrong belladonna so it turns them invisible! Cue laugh track, roll credits.

All of the author sidebars in this volume are protocol for sending fanmail. Maybe that's a culture thing but it seems kinda picky to me- don't use pencil, include a return address, use a real name, use a greeting (that's fair), and stuff about what kinda paper and ink and folding to use.

Overall rating: 7/10
I've said it three volumes in a row now- it's perfectly fine as a derpy, ambiguously gay, supernatural comedy. If I had started with 4, or if I set aside my expectations, I'm cool with it. After the cool murder mystery in 3, though, I really wanted more of that, but we have not really come close to matching that genre or even that tone since.

Discussion question: What's the biggest bait and switch you've come across?
Hint for next: I wasn't exactly sure where in "D" to alphabetize this one.
Additional hint for next: Hey we're switching from brooding bishonen for Wifebolo to cute girls doing cute things for me!
Tone yo' flab
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: 5tarscream

5tarscream
4 weeks ago#37
Yeah I think the series seemed a lot more interesting after the nursery mystery story and then sort of rolled along aimlessly after that. Shame. Bait and switch in manga or any media?

Tom Bombadil
4 weeks ago#38
I'll say any media I think- manga/anime seems kinda narrow for a lot of my questions
Tone yo' flab

User Info: Eerieka

Eerieka
4 weeks ago#39
Biggest bait and switch for me is probably Gakkou Gurashi, although I went into it knowing about the twist (I wouldn't have had any interest in it otherwise).

Narutaru had something of an unintentional bait and switch because the animators of the anime OP thought the show was some kind of cute and kid-friendly Pokemon knock-off. Though it was never the author's intention to deceive the audience.
Account created-9/10/04. Just a normal GameFAQs user/leprechaun
Ramza: rofl. Rofel: You say my name? -Eise

Tom Bombadil
3 weeks ago#40
Double overdue AFK recap!

D-Frag Vol. 1
Whose fault: Tombolo
This is a particularly silly moe comedy where a wannabe delinquent gets mixed up with a "game developing club" consisting of four particularly weird cute girls. Ya got the cute/dark loli, the sadist (complete with M guy), and two others that....didn't stand out as much. They all have an elemental type, which is a kinda fun idea for chuunibyou gags if you haven't gotten enough of those already. There's also a rival club that, like, actually develops games once in a while, but is still just the comic relief rival team in a comedy manga. Shenanigans ensue! They ensue so much.

My rating: 6/10
A little strange but otherwise pretty forgettable. I've already forgotten whatever amount of plot there was! There was a competition and we find out that we stole the loli from the "real" gamedev club for...whatever our reasons were IDK. None of the girls hit my strike zone either (unless you maybe count the crossdressing boy?), which is an accomplishment unto itself for a moe comedy. Didn't really have anything to do with video games either.

Di Gi Charat, Vol. 1 (of 2+)
Whose fault: Tombolo
Doing outlandish moe comedy before it was cool! Perhaps it's because it had a decade plus of head start for me, but I feel like this is just generally better executed and more memorable than D-Frag. I'm a bit confused on the canon- I've gone through at least part of like four different iterations of this IP (you've got another one on deck), the tone varies quite a bit, and I have no idea how the timeline fits together or if that's even really a thing we care about. Enhancing that confusion, this is one of those compilation books where a bunch of different manga-ka get together and write a couple episodic short stories each.

Basically you've got three girls working at Gamers, an otaku store in Japan. (it's a real thing that I actually managed to find and blow money on when I went! :D) So I think this nonsense originated as just a set of mascot characters for the store and then blew up. One of 'em even shows up in Neptunia! ...Sorta! Anyway you've got the titular Digiko (or Dejiko, depending on who's on localization duty) who is a derpy space princess, her withdrawn but snarky loli sidekick Puchiko (who as far as I can tell is the fandom's favorite by a wide margin), and Rabi en Rose, a tsundere straight man who somehow manages to always come out on the losing end of her rivalry with Digiko. Shenanigans ensue, frequently resulting in blowing up the store or other wide-scale chaos.

...It wasn't AS great as I remember it, to be honest, although maybe that's a byproduct of the wide variety of tones and art styles and stories inherent in this format. Puchiko still the best but I have a lot more appreciation for Rabi than I used to. She's just a normal girl trying to get by, man. Anyway it was mostly a good time and I can actually name some of the characters if pressed. Kinda tough luck for D-Frag getting lumped into the same writeup, lol. Still, I'll be curious how well further entries have aged with me. I expected this to be more of an 8 or even 9.

Discussion question: What's something that you didn't hate, but just kinda got rendered obsolete by something in the same genre?
Tone yo' flab
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Tom resumes reading all the Bolo Household Manga Collection (spoilers)